PFB+ Basketball Recruiting

I think this brings up a good opportunity to emphasize the brilliance of AD Holder. His plan to endow the athletic facilities and scholarships is the type of forward thinking that really shines in the midst of this pandemic. There will be zero impact to endowed athletic facilities at oSu. Other programs will be severely impacted by the financial fall out of this pandemic. oSu athletics will be hurt much less as a result of Mike Holder and that IMO is the definition of leadership. His legacy will be second to none in fifty years IMO.

It may have taken longer to build the Smith Training Center and O’Brate Stadium than fans wanted, but that patience is the route needed for maintaining an elite college athletic program.

16 Likes

That depends on how the endowments work. Those funds are all invested in something. I remember how much of an impact the 2008/9 markets had on the football stadium construction because of the performance of Boone’s hedge fund.

This would make a good article for PFB. My understanding is this money is often used for lending rather than investing. I do not know how oSu has theirs set up.

Found this general info on endowments.

Most endowments have guidelines stating how much of each year’s investment income can be spent. For many universities, this amount is about 5% of the endowment’s total asset value. Because some of the more coveted schools, such as Harvard, have endowments worth billions of dollars, this 5% can equal a large sum of money.

2 Likes

Hearing that the Greg Brown dream may have already died for OSU. Talked to someone today who told me the Texas staff has already secured a silent pledge from him. Wouldn’t be a major shock since Auburn is off the table with Thor going there.

I imagine Cade and Boynton will probably keep plugging away behind the scenes with this one, but Texas looks like it’ll be the landing spot when he officially announces on the 24th.

1 Like

Having seen us both lose a silent commit and steal someone else’s just in the past 3 days, I’m choosing to believe this means absolutely nothing and Greg Brown will 100% be in Stillwater next year.

11 Likes

Boooooo!!!

ERbpbFRWoAAv1AK 2

3 Likes

We can speak this into existence if we try hard enough… right?

Not even worth trying. Zero chance

We were also Cades first offer and have been on him since he was a Freshman…

Meaning he’ll be going to Stillwater. That’s the hip thing to do, make a silent commitment then change your mind at the last minute.

But that’s fine, I’m hoping Montreal qualifies and can get to developing.

3 Likes

@kyleboone so I have a question do you think Bruce Pearl sold Thor on the fact that Jalen Green and Greg Brown we’re going to commit and they could team up. Now with the Greg Brown going to Texas crowd growing with national media and growing thoughts that Jalen Green will commit to Memphis or go over seas. Do you think Thor waits to sign his LOI and maybe changes his mind about Auburn and would Boynton even take him after what he did to the staff.

2 Likes

Amen to that. A true national holiday.

2 Likes

That is a fantastic point that I hadn’t considered at all. The majority of athletic departments (and universities in general, ahem, OU) are carrying a huge debt load. Cal, for example, has had a difficult time covering the debt service on their athletic facilities in the past couple of years. That will be magnified ten fold under the current circumstances. The fact that Holder has been able to build the Athletic Village without any debt will be huge for our athletic department over the next few years.

4 Likes

I think most of the athletic money was spent to build the facilities. It is not sitting in the OSU Foundation. They left money in BP Capital thinking they could get a big increase on the Boone investment and pay for the entire Athletic Village. When everything crashed, they had to work their way out of it and Holder learned a lesson. The tennis facility, the baseball field, and the track field were all built once the money was in hand and that money was used for building expenses.

Now most of the new education buildings on campus do have an endowment portion with the naming rights to help maintain the buildings. Which is quite smart.

2 Likes

Obviously have not gone and audited any of this, but that is not consistent with what i remember Coach Holder saying at the time. I believe that we not only built them debt free, but that the total amount included an endowment for future maintenance.

1 Like

Don’t be heartbroken over Thor. There’s a very real possibility he never plays at Auburn. I said awhile back we would get Donovan and not Thor and I thought it was a good thing. I still feel that way. I think there will be 1 more player added to this class. I’m also gonna say it could be an unconventional addition as well. We will see.

8 Likes

Why would he never play at Auburn?

I was told he’s still trying to get qualified. Even IF he does, I still think the overseas element is in play. Although I’m sure Auburn will be in the bidding until the end.

All you need to know is what Boynton said on the pod.

Only 3,071 players have EVER played in the nba. So not many.

1 Like

Your right! I was just interested in top 150 and on average how many years they stay if they do go pro and average that go pro. Ja wasn’t even a top 300 guy I do not believe so there’s things that will throw it off just curious is all