PFB+ Basketball Recruiting

I don’t disagree. I like Wheeler a lot. If he is worried about TyTy taking the ball out of his hands though… adding Bryce adds another combo guard that can play make for others and himself would theoretically take the ball out of his hands some too. I feel like we’re caught in in PG vs. SG when the game is moving to positionless players.

Not at all. We 100% want Wheeler and it would work IMO. I just am trying to think it through the kid’s head.

But I trust Boone. He knows his stuff. I’m just a little caught off guard.

Yeah good luck with that. Could be as simple as maybe he didn’t super appreciate the way UK handled things.

Safe to say, if anyone gets the ball taken out of their hands, it’s not going to be for arbitrary reasons; it’ll be because it’s going to someone who’s doing better things with it. Unless we’re saying Boynton would… no, couldn’t be…

3 Likes

That’s true. 19 year old kids…

I think your making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Bare bones is Kentucky is bringing in 5 star PG to run their team and play big minutes. We really have one PG in Ice who has a completely different skillset than Wheeler, which I think is why we are appealing to him moreso than UK maybe.

He has scorers in AA, BT, BW he can get the ball to. And while AA and BT will undoubtedly want the ball, AA was much better last year because Cade got him in the ball in favorable situations and because we had other good players around (MAM, Kalib, BW) BT on the other hand is a guy that can take over and create his own shot, but look at our team even with Cade dominating the ball AA still had plenty of opportunities as well as Kalib.

2 Likes

Logically, all of this makes perfect sense. You’re right. I just can’t fathom getting both guys. That would be way too many positive things for OSU basketball. :joy:

5 Likes

I think Boynton likes Wheeler because he brings a different skillset than what we have and Wheeler likes us because he can see himself in our fast-paced guard heavy system with a coach that is always straight up with his kids.

A week or two ago the Wheelers gave an interview and said what they liked about each team. Basically they like how KU and UK used their guards and thought it fit his game really well. But when they got to OSU they said something pretty important: they trusted Mike the most out of all of the coaches.

Mike’s relationship with these recruits keep proving time and time again that the players and family’s are buying into his vision. Just like when Cade said that his mom loved Boynton because her “bs detector” wasn’t going off I think a lot of people trust him to be honest which is what draws them to OSU.

12 Likes

In the end, it’s a good problem to have. Lol. Not totally sure how all the pieces would fit but adding Wheeler would be a huge boost. Figure out everything else on the back end. My guess on starters:

PG: Wheeler
SG: Bryce
SG: Avery
PF: MAM
C: Kalib

Ice off the bench as a guy who can play 1, 2 or 3. Rondel as a Bryce reliever. Then Woody and Tyreek as backups to MAM and Kalib.

13 Likes

LOVE this.

7 Likes

I’m a huge believer in the way Ice impacts winning. He is a great role guy and every team could use an Ice. And I’m struggling to find a place for him to get minutes in this scenario. That isn’t even factoring in Chris Harris who was getting hyped as a guy that made the leap last summer before going down in the first few games. That is certainly a great problem to have and speaks to Boynton’s ability to build a complete roster.

100%. Thing is, he’ll work his way into the rotation in some way. Too valuable. Second-highest assist rate on the team last year, always gets to the line, bulldog defender … just a winner

4 Likes

You forgot linebacker.

7 Likes

Do we want him to though? 57% last year and less than 70% the first 2 years.

Man…teams are going to have a hell of a time having to defend all of that.

1 Like

I think one aspect in all of this transfer business, that people are missing, is we’re not getting transfers from smaller “directional schools”. We’re getting Power 5 transfers.

Texas Tech
Syracuse
KU
Georgia (potentially)

We’re getting guys who have played against great competition, across the board.

Edit: EDITED TO REMOVE “POTENTIALLY” FROM KU.

8 Likes

Huge point chimpy, all guys who have played college minutes for big programs and good coaches. Exactly what we needed this year to mesh with this roster and group of players. With how the transfer landscape was it did not make sense to go grab freshman. Big time plays by Mike.

1 Like

Defender on ANYBODY. Even a 5 if necessary. One of the favorite aspects of his game for me.

1 Like

Yeah. It’s a risk going with smaller school transfers, as we saw with Flavors. Kendall Smith ended up working out for us, though.

But we’re getting bonafide dudes who have been coached by great coaches and trained in great facilities.