PFB+ Basketball Thread

You move the goal posts too much to be worth arguing with.

9 Likes

The way are team competed last year, I’m hoping for better than 17-13. I think we will have a very stingy defense and so many excellent 3 pt shooters that it’s going to be hard for teams to keep up.

Lindy, Dizzy, Laurent (46% last year), and Roessink are excellent 3 ball shooters. Cam was actually good from deep two years ago and then regressed last year, but said he put in a lot of work this summer to improve it.

Likelele on the point isn’t flashy, but he’s tough, hustles and plays tough d. Yor’s talent for shot blocking is incredible and he’s got a nice touch around the basket. He’s going to make it difficult to score inside.

Add in some hungry athletic freshman in Anderson and Watson and you’ve got a serious squad.

If this team stays healthy, I think they can go 20-10 and finish in the top 4 of the Big 12.

1 Like

Oh.

My point still stands, Coach B does a better job of selling the Oklahoma State brand in a more comprehensive manner. Gundy just relies on the “I used to play here and now I coach here” aspect.

1 Like

20-10? We can be a little more liberal than that. I think 22-8. We have experience and we have athleticism, and a lot of three-point shooting, which is going to help.

We have to look at all of the games from last season where the team stuck with the opposing team until the gas ran out. If we had a deep bench last season, a lot of games would’ve been closer.

That game against Tech where Lindy went off is my benchmark game. If we can do that to the national runner-up, our guys should be fine.

Looking at the schedule, 22-8 seems pretty generous and I’m really high on this team. Attainable? Sure, but maybe a bit unrealistic for a team that is breaking in 6 new guys. Houston just got Grimes ruled eligible and they’ll be a top 15-20 team. You play against the Syracuse zone in New York. You’ll see a salty Penn St. or Ole Miss team after that. Even if you go undefeated against a non-con slate that features 6 Top-80 KenPom opponents, you would have to go 10-8 in league play to get to 22-8. I think 10-8 would be a good benchmark for this team in conference play. Anything below 9-9 would be disappointing. 20-10 and a tourney berth would be a successful season in my opinion.

2 Likes

I was trying not to be greedy. We also stacked the 2nd half of our non-con schedule which will probably net us at least 2 losses, going 10-8 in Big 12 will be respectable, the league is tough top to bottom.

3 Likes

All 3 analysts in this story in ESPN picked OSU as their “Under the radar Big 12 team that could catch fire in March”

2 Likes

I think the biggest thing is to get to March. If you do, anything can happen. Guards win in March and we have a really good mix of experienced leaders and talented youth.

4 Likes

I’d say it depends on how hot we get and when. We could go anywhere from 19 wins to that 22 wins, all based on who we beat. If we slump near the end of the year, that could be bad, but if we get hot then, we’d bring that momentum into the tourney (almost certainly).

2 Likes

LET ME BE THE GREEDY ONE!!!

And make no mistake, if we don’t finish 22-8, I won’t be upset. I’m as happy and excited as ever for OSU basketball regardless.

2 Likes

Let’s take it a step further and have some fun - what is everyone’s most irrational prediction?

Mine?

Yor Anei makes it as a finalist for the Naismith Men’s Defensive Player of the Year.

3 Likes

That’s not irrational, that could actually happen. Lol.

Mine is they make it to the Sweet 16.

Most irrational prediction is 4 guys on All Big 12 1st and 2nd team:

Cam
Lindy
Ice
Yor

I think that any of these 4 can make the 1st team list, but it would take winning the Big 12 to get all 4. Even then, 4 is a lot.

2 Likes

3rd in big 12, sweet 16 if they get hot with a good draw.

2 Likes

My irrational prediction— we win the big XII with wins over KU by 40+ in Lawrence and at Tech by 30+, and by 20+ in Norman (that might not be that irrational)!

1 Like

I don’t have any real lead-up to this, but I just thought it was worth mentioning from what I’ve seen in practice, Isaac Likekele’s shot is much better than what it was a year ago. It’s still a little awkward looking and probably comes out too low, but it’s smoother than what it was last season.

His jumper is all that really is holding him back from being an elite basketball player. After practice on Wednesday he was working with Thomas, Cam, Lindy and assistant Erik Pastrana.

I’m not saying he’s going to be like Steph this season, but I think it’s going to be a lot harder to leave him open on the perimeter.

9 Likes

Irrational prediction: Sweep KU, finish 2nd in Big 12, WIN the Big 12 Tourney, Big 12 newcomer of the year= Avery Anderson (I bet he replaces Dizzy in the starting lineup), Big 12 POY- Yor Anei or Isaac Likekele

Rational prediction: no one gets kicked off the team this year.

Is it basketball season yet?

4 Likes

Anybody got the scoop on how the team looked in the scrimmage with Tulsa?

TU is supposed to be decent this season. AAC is a pretty legit conference.

Great job by @marshall and @kyleporterCBS reporting on this really tough, sensitive subject.

3 Likes

Did you all have to jump through hoops to get the request document?