PFB+ BBQ Thread

Yep. A little more work, but worth it.
Spatchcocked a Turkey for Thanksgiving last year. Result was awesome.

When I first started I got a lot of recipes from https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/, then I bought this book by Myron Mixon and started tinkering with my own rubs. His recipes are competition style so theyā€™re more complicated but turn out fantastic. He has a more savory flavor profile so Iā€™ve tweaked them a bit:

Yep I have that one as well. I just tend to like Chris Lillyā€™s flavors and recipes over Myron. He does some real innovative things that I like a lot. For example some were talking about Turkey above and there is a recipe in his book for cooking a whole turkey with a trick. Put it in a roasting pan, make a large ball of butter and place over the top of the breast. Then cover completely with foil and cut slits right above the butter. The turkey cooks for quite awhile and once the butter melts (brazing the whole bird) it then starts getting just the right amount of smoke. Towards the end you pull the foil back to give the bird a golden color. Absolute best tasting smoked turkey I have ever had. Just that simple trick with the butter keeps it from drying out or getting over smoked or under cooked.

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome. I want to say Iā€™ve used a Chris Lilly recipe years ago - too many OSU games since then :crazy_face:

1 Like

I usually inject the birds (chicken and turkey) and that helps a lot.

1 Like

So anyone else on here a die hard stick burner?

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

I was, then I realized I canā€™t dedicate the time to managing the fire overnight for the long cooks.

Bought a Yoder pellet (smaller, 480s) and havenā€™t looked back. Wouldnā€™t mind getting another stick again for fun though.

1 Like

Yeah that is the one thing that makes me question it. But I donā€™t do complete overnight cooks anymore really anyway.

I thought about getting the pellet mechanism and fabricating a way to attach it to my firebox so that if I had the need to do an overnight smoke, I could convert it back and forth. I just usually avoid any long cooks though. I also, with my smoker, cook a little hotter than typical which shortens the time and things turn out just fine.

What smoker do you have? Brand name or home made?

I love my WSM (22"). Use the minion method to build my fire with Kingsford/chunk wood. Typically dials in at 250 and I donā€™t have to mess with it much. Winds were 15 mph or so yesterday and I didnā€™t have any issues with fire mgmt.

1 Like

I have an old Lang trailer that I bought about 16-17 years ago. Kinda like this but the design has changed a little over the years.

1 Like

I have my own thoughts but what are some of the best BBQ places in Oklahoma? The Butcher in Wellston has to be towards the top of the list.

2 Likes

I keep meaning to try that place as everyone I talk to raves about it. I found myself out there one day but they were already sold out of BBQ for the day. Going to have to plan a special trip.

Personally I REALLY like Clark Crew BBQ but for more than just its BBQ stuff. Their competition sauce is my favorite sauce. I buy bottles of it to use at home.

2 Likes

How do you like your Yoder overall? Thatā€™s my next grill. I just need to wear out my current one first.

I love it. Itā€™s so versatile. Sear up a good steak or low and slow for BBQ.
Everyone complains about the paint (rust) or the excessive cleaning. It does take some care, but itā€™s not like Iā€™m doing a DEEP clean every week/month. Depends on what Iā€™m cooking. After a brisket or pork shoulder? Yea clean it up.
Grilled chicken? Nah just vacuum the ashes and go on to the next.

Hereā€™s a chart from a brisket I did a few weeks ago.
Those peaks/valleys after midnight are low 208 high 237. So pretty steady.

1 Like

How does it do in temperatures below 50 degrees?

Also does it hold steady temperatures in the wind?

BBQ charts. Iā€™m here for it.