PFB+ Book Thread

I would recommend anything by SC Gwynne. He wrote the best football book I have ever read called “The Perfect Pass” (all about the air raid offense), and some great historical books about the Comanches and Stonewall Jackson.

1 Like

In the Distance by Hernan Diaz is a spectacular story.

I’ve been pulling a lot from Huckberry and Art of Manliness for my TBR pile. Always great recommendations if you like travel, adventure, history, and non-fiction.

This is one of my favorite books - “Pete Maravich: The Authorized Biography of Pistol Pete” by Wayne Federman. Also - any of the fiction books by Joel Rosenberg (starting with The Last Days, The Last Jihad, The Ezekiel Option, The Copper Scroll). I haven’t gotten to the newer series yet.

1 Like

Reading All Quiet On the Western Front (somehow I’ve never read it) and it’s great so far. Just finished The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell and it was a very interesting read. I’ve got a growing stack of books to get to but football season has started so it will be slow going.

1 Like

It’s always slow going during FB season.

1 Like

A must for any person who cares even a little about the thunder or okc

Dark Matter was amazing. Thank you for the recommendation.

1 Like

We Are Not Such Things by Justine Van Der Leun

Joel Rosenberg books are great. I haven’t started the new series yet but really enjoyed all of his prior series.

1 Like

NF- Sapiens, Homo Deus, 21 Questions by Noah Harari. Current- Educated by Westover
F- Power of the Dog (mentioned above as well), All the Light We Cannot See, We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Current- The Haunting of Hill House (also a good Netflix series and movie The Hauting 1963)

1 Like

Look if you haven’t ready everything Chuck Klosterman has put out, I don’t think I can have a conversation with you.

1 Like

I find it interesting that OKC people enjoy Boomtown… I’m about halfway through and it doesn’t paint the city in the best light. I agree with all of his shots about it not being real or not being relevant in any national or international scope… And when I was in Stillwater I much prefered going to Tulsa over OKC, as I find Tulsa much more interesting… But OKC people are fiercely defensive of their city.

I, too, am reading Boomtown and so far he’s kind har-haring at OKC folks but in a pretty veiled way. I don’t dislike it because the writing is good writing, but if I lived there, I might dislike it.

1 Like

We had to read All Quiet on the Western Front in high school. That book is fantastic.

1 Like

Blake Crouch was some solid fiction. You should check out An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green. Similar fun fiction/mystery/sci-fi read. Quick and easy

2 Likes

I liked his Wayward Pines trilogy.

Bought a collection of C.S Lewis’ works and I’m currently working through The Screwtape Letters.

5 Likes

Read the Dark Tower series by Stephen King as fast you can. Amazon is working on a series. It’s supposedly being filmed in the same local as The Game of Thrones. If it’s anything like the books it’s going to be epic.

I don’t think you understand people from/live in okc.

We know it’s tough, we know it’s not great. That’s why we have things like maps.

Anytime someone lodges the standard cowtown rant. It’s usually met with, we know, we’re working on it.

Over the years all that investment is starting to show returns.

Boomtown really educated people about Clara Luper and the sit ins. On the ballot for maps4 is a Clara Luper/ okc civil rights history museum.

If there’s a more self aware self motivated city to do better I’ve yet to find it.

2 Likes