PFB+ Book Thread

Detroit.

Minus the whole getting better not worse part

1 Like

I have no idea how I’d never read it. It was great.

1 Like

I need to continue reading those. I’ve read The Gunslinger a few times, but always stop there.

I’m “fiercely defensive” of Tulsa IF it’s a Tulsa vs. OKC conversation. Otherwise, I’m not.

OKC > Tulsa ducks

1 Like

Live out of state for a few decades and the OKC/Tulsa rivalry won’t be a thing anymore.

1 Like

1 Like

Oh, didn’t even take me a decade. Lol.

I’ve lived in Cincinnati (which I really hated for awhile), and now in Memphis. Both cities are, sadly, better.

Edit: Clarification on my Cincinnati comment: You want to see people who are “fiercely defensive” of their city? Cincinnatians are by far the worst (or best, depending on how you see it).

2 Likes

Several good books I’ve read of late, couple highlights:

1. Soul of Shame - Curt Thompson
  2. The Common Rule - Justin Early
1 Like

The only thing OKC does better than Tulsa is run up tax dollars to justify their existence. I’ll be hiking with my dogs within the city limits this weekend, enjoy coughing dirt in OKC from the panhandle.

Somewhat /s, somewhat not /s

Memphis is not better than Tulsa, Cincinnati is though.

I’m from out of state. People love Tulsa when they visit.

(Somebody start an OKC vs. Tulsa thread so we don’t ruin the book thread)

3 Likes

@steven You read The Mastermind by Evan Ratliff? Non-fiction mob/crime story on one of the most brilliant criminal networks formed over the past few decades. Guy got caught a couple years ago and Ratliff tells a great story of it… Top 5 books read this year easy.

1 Like

Read Fahrenheit 451 on my plane ride to Europe. It’s an easy, but important read.

1 Like

Late to the party on this but I just finished Tipping Point recently - maybe my favorite of his. Talking to Strangers was super interesting

Dang - I’ll have to check it out! I just finished “The Irishman” on Netflix last night, got mobsters on the brain. Thanks for mentioning!

Been on a few book tear of true crime/mob books. If you liked the Irishman, you may like “In Hoffa’s Shadow”, a book all about Jimmy Hoffa’s right-hand man and cronie that everyone thinks drove him to his execution (but didn’t… or did he?) haha.

I have always been a HUGE fan of the Tom Clancy - Jack Ryan character based book series. Not new by any means but very well written in my opinion.

3 Likes