PFB+ Debate: Who last longer at OSU between Mike Gundy or Mike Boynton?

It’s also really cool to see that his wife is involved as well as the nutritionist, not that she couldn’t do that at any school they were at, but it hopefully adds to that connection with the school.

6 Likes

Yea sorry, but listen to Brad Underwood as well. You can’t take any coach at their word these days, and that’s not a slam on Boynton, just that you need to use other criteria to form your opinion than what they say in interviews.

4 Likes

We like HCMB. So yes, we are predisposed to want this to happen. But he hasn’t been paid yet. He’s not in this for the long haul if he’s never paid.

1 Like

Yeah but Boynton actually lives by that when he’s out and around and even beyond Stillwater. I ran into him down here and he was incredibly friendly and spoke glowingly of Stillwater and OSU and everything… to a nobody like me.

Underwood, by all accounts, was a total jerk when he wasn’t trying to gladhand. Ignored fans trying to talk to him at away games and stuff. Was only interested in looking the part if the cameras were on or if a donor was around.

5 Likes

Blind squirrels and what not.

1 Like

Well he needs to win first.

7 Likes

Of course. My comment wasn’t a statement on me thinking he should or shouldn’t be paid. Just indicating that he’s not staying in Stillwater forever simply because we feel he’s sincere about wanting to. Lots of factors.

He needs to win.
He needs to get paid.
He needs to get paid before others want to pay him.
He needs to get paid an amount large enough to outbid others.
He needs to genuinely not wish to go back ‘home.’

Lots of factors.

2 Likes

Definitely needs to win and get paid. I’d venture, though, that if someone wanted to pay him and pay him a certain amount, he would at least bring that to Holder and ask him to match. He wouldn’t just up and go without giving OSU a chance to keep him. I also think that ‘home’ depends on lots of things and I think that Stillwater is making enough of an impact to become ‘home’, even versus New York or South Carolina.

2 Likes

I hope you are right and Boynton stays if he has success. I’m still cautiously optimistic he does love OSU and Stillwater, but based on so many other times I won’t believe it til I see it. More cash, nicer cities, and more prestigious programs could be very enticing.

What even is this for him? Brooklyn? I think that the only competition for OSU in this regard would be Syracuse… maybe Providence…

South Carolina isn’t going to take him from us unless Holder just doesn’t want to retain him.

And if he makes the Final Four next season, as a bit of an extreme, what better jobs are going to open up? Let’s say he does get an offer from Rutgers. They have a ton of money to go get a coach that they want. New facilities. Close to home. Major conference. Lot of upside.

I don’t think there would be much hesitation to pay the man $4-$5 million per year from Holder, and I would imagine that the money would be raised pretty quick from those that care about the program.

1 Like

There are only about 10 of those… and most will only hire the best possible options.

That is not a universal feeling.

That’s based on how many points they’ve had in the AP poll, which has only been around since 1949. Not a very good measure of program there. Like, for instance, yes Oklahoma has more wins than OSU and has spent more time in the AP poll than OSU… but from facilities, tradition, and fan support* they are not really close to OSU.

*fan support is obviously a sore issue with me. I’ve been pretty vocal in my disgust at OSU fans for not showing up to games over the past 13 years, and then using every excuse in the book to justify it while ignoring that Nebraska, who has never won a game at the NCAA tournament, sells out all of their home games and has for decades.

1 Like

In your mind. And you aren’t wrong, because it is subjective.

Maybe in his mind there are only 5. Maybe there are 50.

In the whole history of college basketball OSU does have a good standing. In a blind resume test over the past 50 or 60 years (majority of fans lifetimes) OSU is nowhere near top 10. Depends on how far back you go and if you weigh recent success over the past 10-20 years more than success 70-80 years ago.

1 Like

I put OSU around 30 all-time, personally. And I don’t think there are that many jobs that will ever be available that would be more attractive to move to. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC… I don’t think UCLA has quite the appeal that it used to. I don’t think that Syracuse has a ton of appeal once Boeheim dies on the court. Indiana, Louisville, Michigan, Ohio State… all great programs, but can you definitively say that it’s a better job? I don’t necessarily think so.

It’s not just prestige though it’s money and location too. Depending on what he wants there could be several options that would be tempting to make more money, have comparable prestige to leverage for recruiting, and be in a better climate/bigger city/around better scenery. It could be someone like Marquette/Xavier/Houston/Maryland.

Offseason my dude

4 Likes

Sure, I get it. Long time until September, or whenever we get live sports. I’m right in here participating too. After all, we have to have SOMETHING that we can all argue about, right?

1 Like

I’m hoping for Boyton, because if it’s him then that means he turned the program back into what it should be and we locked him in. I figure Gundy has another 6 years or so.

10 Likes