PFB+ Debate: Who last longer at OSU between Mike Gundy or Mike Boynton?

My heart: Boynton.

My head: Gundy.

Boynton’s the better coach, relatively speaking, and will probably be pursued by the “big dogs” eventually. But I hope he sticks around and wins a championship.

I love Boynton and think he will stick around as outlined in previous posts…

But how anybody can say this with a straight face… I don’t understand.

Boynton might be a great coach. He might be a dud.

7 Likes

This year is going to tell us a lot about Boynton.

2 Likes

Oh, I’ll happily say it with the straightest face every single time. Maybe the W-L record isn’t up to snuff, but his ability to fire up a fanbase by adapting to current strategies is definitely way ahead of Gundy’s (again, relatively speaking <----- key words). Boynton’s recruiting, alone, gets me more excited than football gameday. It just does.

Now…has he run into some issues his first few seasons? Yes, of course. But I think once his full recruiting classes mesh and settle in, we’ll get sustained success.

2 Likes

I respect that a ton. And yeah, the fanbase overwhelmingly does not like Gundy… or at least the vocal fanbase doesn’t.

But, there’s really not much argument that Gundy is the best coach in OSU football history with the exception of probably Pappy Waldorf.

So if Boynton is a better coach (and I hope that ends up being right) it really speaks to how crummy OSU football is.

2 Likes

As far as football, yes, Gundy is the best coach. But honestly…if we’re talking all-time best coach in any sport whatsoever, it’s a tie between John Smith and Hank Iba. Gundy does not touch either of those two.

No love for JustGary Ward

8 Likes

Let’s don’t forget about the guy that won eight national championships in his sport. He kinda runs the athletic department these days.

13 Likes

I disagree that the fanbase overwhelmingly does not like Gundy. I agree that there is a very vocal portion of the fanbase that does not like him.

3 Likes

Well yeah overall OSU athletics, there isn’t a football coach touching the OSU coaching Mount Rushmore and if it weren’t for Barry Sanders there wouldn’t be a player close to that one either.

Heck an argument could be made that John Smith isn’t even a top 3 coach in the wrestling program. Maybe #3 behind Gallagher and Griffith. But Myron Roderick would be my #3 in that list.

That’s an interesting discussion… My OSU coaching Mount Rushmore would probably be:

Mike Holder
Hank Iba
Ed Gallagher
Eddie Sutton (personal choice… probably shouldn’t really be there)

2 Likes

When was the last time you went to a game in BPS?

It’s… really bad.

3 Likes

Ouch. Point taken.

What Eddie did went well beyond basketball, to maybe saving the whole athletic department. Football was horrid when he came in, and his receiving basketball started bringing money back in.

To me he has to be on it if you look at the whole situation when he came on campus. Not to mention the record and the final fours.

4 Likes

That’s a good argument.

Keeps the site talkative through a crappy period of time for a college sports blog.

OSU Mount Rushmore:

Barry Sanders
Mike Gundy
Eddie Sutton
Boone Pickens

Purely based on what the rest of the world associates us with.

My personal OSU Mount Rushmore is:

Barry Sanders
Rickie Fowler
Garth Brooks
Boone Pickens

What’s the debate against all of those legends?

The attendance numbers for basketball compared to football only make MB look better.

With the qualifier he gave, I think that’s a decent list.