PFB+: Q&A with 2022 Running Back Commit Ollie Gordon

The Cowboys picked up a commitment from a running back whose recruitment has just started to blossom Tuesday evening in Ollie Gordon.

Oklahoma State offered Gordon on Jan. 17. He has since received offers from Nebraska, Arkansas and Michigan. Gordon spoke with PFB on Tuesday afternoon to discuss why he picked OSU, his relationship with the coaching staff and why he wanted to move quickly with his process.

Marshall Scott: Let's just start with why Oklahoma State?

Ollie Gordon: "They produce a lot of running backs. Right now in the League, they got Chris Carson that's there, and they got one that's gonna go in the first few rounds, Chuba [Hubbard]. And I just like how the relationship is with all the coaches. I've talked to all of them, and they all like me. They all talk to me."

MS: You're kind of a bigger running back, have they sold you on being a Chris Carson-type guy?

OG: "Yeah."

MS: Have you been able to visit Stillwater with all of the COVID restrictions?

OG: "No, not yet, but I have taken a virtual visit."

MS: What was the virtual like?

OG: "It was good. I liked everything I saw."

MS: What is your relationship like with OSU running backs coach John Wozniak?

OG: "He's cool. I talk to him at least three to four times a week."

MS: What about Mike Gundy, what have your interactions with him been like?

OG: "I've talked to Coach Gundy a couple times. He's a good coach. He was just telling me that he hopes I made the right choice and didn't pick the wrong school. He just wanted me to go somewhere that I would feel like was good for me."

MS: What about Oklahoma State makes it feel like it is good for you?

OG: "For one, it's not too far from home. And two, I just like how to coaches carry themselves and carry the program."

MS: You jumped on OSU fans' radar when you went off against Allen and the Green twins, what was that game like for you?

OG: "It was good. I didn't know the game was that, but I feel like me and [the Green twins] together, that would be a good duo -- or trio I should say."

MS: OSU offered you Jan. 17, what made your process move so quickly?

OG: "Next year, I'm not playing running back. I didn't want them to like ... they only take two [running backs] out of our class, and I didn't want them to find another one. Then I wouldn't have been able to go."

MS: "What position are you playing next year?

OG: "Next year for high school, I'm playing quarterback."

13 Likes

Lol what a joke

2 Likes

Now we know why gundy loses out on his recruits: “you sure you wanna come here son? There’s another school in Oklahoma. My brother works there, hell I’ll get you his number hold on.”

7 Likes

First of all, great content @marshall. Keep it coming!

Second, #FireGundy

2 Likes

Gundy needs to realize that at OSU he is selling an Android not an iPhone.

1 Like

Yikes! The tone of that is horrible and pretty disappointing. Can you imagine if Saban or Dabo said that? As a recruit, I would question that statement. Hopefully his relationship with the assistants is what he values the most.
I’m personally high on him. I think it’s a great pick up.

4 Likes

Everyone hating on Gundy for making sure the kid is doing the best thing for him? Even though it shows he cares? I don’t understand the hate on that. Clearly the kid liked that Gundy cares enough to make sure he has put a lot of thought into his decision.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t read too much into how a 17 year old is answers questions. Probably his first interview and seemed very short on words. (Not a knock, I probably would be giving one word answer as a teen).

Boyton says the same thing, he wants kids to pick the school that is the best fit for them. Even if that means, not OSU.

2 Likes

The term “fit” is so awful and arbitrary.

and his pitch sounds like he is trying to provide a disclaimer so if/when a kid decides to transfer he has an out of saying “i told you to make the right decision”

It’s also disheartening that this, out of all the things Gundy has said to him, is what he took away and remembered most.

clearly the kid took it as a positive. At the end of the day, the kid committed and liked what Gundy had to say.

9 Likes

Maybe more kids would commit and like what Gundy has to say if he said different things.

2 Likes

Maybe you should quit whining about the guys saying he wants him to make the right choice for him and his future. That’s a good thing. Gundy cares about football obviously but he shows there that he cares about the kids more than just “yeah jam him in the roster and we’ll see”

All he’s saying is that he hopes it is the right place for the kid to do the best they can. Goodness.

5 Likes

I’ve gone back and forth on this all morning. It sounded bad at first, but really I’m fine with it. Mike Boynton sat down with Cade this past summer and helped him evaluate all of his options and everyone applauded it. I’m pretty indifferent on Gundy being at OSU overall, but the Gundy hate circle jerking is exhausting. Some of you guys need to find a hobby.

10 Likes

I believe they call this being human.

7 Likes

Don’t worry guys next year is our year /s

1 Like

I’m pretty even keeled about Gundy and have even said that he did a heck of a job this year. I have every right to be critical on something if it sounds off.

:clown_face: out

You’re an artist with your words, even if the picture is horrifying.

1 Like

Comparing what Boynton did with Cade to this situation is apples to oranges and is a horrible comparison lmao

5 Likes

sure its a little different, but at the end of the day its a coach letting the player know he should do what’s best for him.

1 Like