PFB+ Wrestling (Part 1)

I see why it took you so long. Just when I thought the kid was done talking there was more.

People probably say the same thing about me though.

1 Like

You’re right. We’ve had several off line conversations about you talking too much. :laughing:

1 Like

I’m sure! My goal is to get into insurance like my Grandfather. My mother in law says I should be a Real estate agent. I was the kid walking up to strangers saying hi and talking to them while they were looking for my mom as a kid :joy:

OSU is on the youngest Valencia’s school list.

1 Like

One thing I would say is a little concerning on the Ferrari interview.

He said one thing he really liked about OSU is everyone would be here long term and other schools he didn’t really feel that they would be. Even talked about how Kendrick Maple had left Nebraska and he didn’t like that.

Dieringer just announced yesterday he’s leaving.

LOL. I read that part and was like “well that aged well.”

1 Like

Surely he means the Catholic Italian contingent that isn’t going anywhere.

2 Likes

TBF tho he does have somewhat of a point. John has been here for over 20 years. Espo has been here a while as well. And it doesn’t look like Perry or Caldwell are going anywhere.

1 Like

His point is definitely correct.

There’s literally only one current staff member who hasn’t been in Stillwater from their freshman year to now, and that’s Caldwell who started at OU and just left for a little bit and came back.

The timing on it just isn’t exactly ideal and I’m sure he really hoped to have Alex here for most of his college career.

2 Likes

Chad seems like a guy I would want to spend a weekend in Vegas with.

Yeah but he and Daton seem to get on alright. Same with Plott. And Derek White is still in the room.

I am of the mindset that hopes Ringer does what he needs to so that he is the guy on the Sr. level team. I hate to see him leave but I have to think the change of scenery will be good for his development. Until John gets behind the RTC, it’s hard for me to. Question for the thread: how much does this impact recruiting overall? It doesn’t seem like it hurts us currently, but in general?

4 Likes

FRL was pretty good today. They had Pendleton on with Askren and they showed the first time they wrestled in college. It was good seeing Ben squirm.

3 Likes

Got a new poster on the Ferrari interview thread taking issue with the story about why they didn’t wrestle this year.

1 Like

Derringer is a known name on the Senior level and a very relevant wrestler to middle school and high school kids so not having him around the program and in the room is a loss but at the end of the day kids will choose OSU due to the main coaches on the staff and their belief or concern with their ability to help them reach their goals.

What has in the past and could continue to hurt us is our lacking RTC as a whole and that goes beyond just Alex.

It’s hard to blame the truly elite guys who look at the rooms and RTC’s around the country and decide other places are better for their development and them reaching their ultimate goals than what we have at OSU.

It honestly makes what Perry and Caldwell (not a knock on Espo and John) have been able to foster and build in recruiting that much more remarkable.

3 Likes

This would seem to bode well for the whole suspension rumor stuff.

4 Likes

also seems like an announcement that he’s wrestling for OSU this coming season.

2 Likes

Frankly I believe that guy more than I do AJ…

3 Likes

Me too. I feel certain Jerry Best isn’t Bud Kilmer.

2 Likes

I expected some of that. I talked to Porter about it before we published and ultimately we came to the conclusion that we have no way to verify in either direction, so we might as well just go with it.

It’s not like we’re out here trying to back the kid up, it’s just an interview and what he said.

The weird thing is AJ seems a little “different” personality wise, but he doesn’t seem to be the one with the off the mat issues. It’s Anthony that everyone talks about getting into trouble and stuff. Hopefully he’ll grow out of it before he gets here.

5 Likes