Pokes in the Pros: NFL/XFL Updates

Solid day for TC

1 Like

Corn will be wrapped in a deflategate if he jumps to the nfl or the xfl has a psi requirement in the future. It looked like a nerf ball when the sideline guy squeezed it.

Is that going to be a big deal ?

No, as long as Vince doesnā€™t put in a psi range rule

1 Like

totally! the receiver did nothing to prevent that interception.he acted as if the defender wasnā€™t even there. the least he could of done was broken it upā€¦
(of course if the receiver had been someone like wallace, he would have just adjusted and grabbed it)

but otherwise, cornelius looked great! it was a fun game to watch. it helped that the vipers were actually able to run the ball, kept him from getting creamed every play

2 Likes

hoping taylor cornelius and the vipers have another great game tomorrow!! ā€œprime timeā€ against LA on sunday nightā€¦
they had a few good pictures of corn dog on the vipers xlf site last week after their big inaugural win

and his week 4 post game press confernce on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9qdQHRMBVw

2 Likes

corn dog runs it in for six!! vipers rolling early again!

fun game to watch so far ā€¦ and defensive coordinator jerry glanville is cool, man

cornelius with a beautiful td pass ā€¦

well, unfortunately things went downhill for the vipers from there. after having everything going right, everything started going wrong. the defense gave up some big plays and they lost all momentum going into halftime, the third quarter was all wildcats, cornelius was strip sacked and the fumble was returned for a td ā€¦ things werenā€™t looking good.
then the offense finally came to life again late in the fourth quarter, and cornelius led a quick, oklahoma state style scoring drive, the defense made a stop, and with 2 minutes left the vipers got the ball back down 7. a chance to win. corn dog again led them right down the field, but only to be intercepted in the endzone on 3rd and goal with 30 some seconds left.

a lot like watching a typical nerve-wracking cowboy game

Love TC and have watched a lot of his xfl games but not yesterday .

That game had an eerily familiar OSU feel to it didnā€™t it ?

1 Like

it sure did!!

hereā€™s 10-plus minutes of game highlights:

and cornelius post game press conference:

and a good shot they had on the xfl.com week 5 photo gallery

Havenā€™t watched a single second of the XFL, but am curious for those in the knowā€¦ any chance our boi CornDog gets a look in the NFL, even if itā€™s just for their practice squad?

Nope :grimacing:

1 Like

The way heā€™s playing right now, probably not. Heā€™s been fine, but he hasnā€™t been the best QB in the league. If he can get more comfortable and start really excelling, itā€™s possible he could get a training camp invite as like a QB4, and then it all really depends on injuries and stuff like that.

4 td passes vs 6 intsā€¦probably not the fastest way to the NFL, but heā€™s also made some plays that are NFL caliber. The Houston QB is going to get some looks by teams though.

if he continues to improve i think itā€™s possible. it would have been awesome if they had won on sunday, would have really boosted his stock and it sucks that his fumble and/or last interception essentially cost them the gameā€¦but otherwise he played good, went back and forth with that other qb in a big 12 style shootout. made some really nice throws, especially that first td pass. the running one was actually pretty sweet too, caught absolutely everybody by surprise. but not me. iā€™ve seen it.
i remember the first time (that i can recall) seeing him check in for rudolph in a blowout over somebody. the announcers were saying how gundy calls him corndog, and iā€™m just thinking who the hell is this guy? then he scrambled up field for 15, then ran for another 10+ and just thinking ā€˜wow, this guys a pretty decent runnerā€™ but aside from that didnā€™t see much of him that year except when he was coming in for mason on cleanup duty. and initially, when the next season started, i wasnā€™t exactly excited upon hearing cornelius was going to be the starter, daresay i even felt a bit disappointed (i mean i had heard all this talk about some 10-star recruit qb, and we are starting a perennial backup?) ā€¦ and iā€™m not sure exactly which game it was, iā€™d have to go back and look up some game logs, but early on somewhere in the first few games taylor cornelius won me over. and, for the most part, that season was great (other than the two un-explainable losses to k-state and tech). it would have been among the best had we beat ou, but whatever. it is what it is, and overall it was a decent season and i enjoyed it.
i wish we could have had him back last season. not that i donā€™t like spencer sanders. i certainly do. but itā€™s just a case of watching someone get better as they get experience, i would have liked to see him come back for one more year.
but anywayā€¦i guess i always thought, when watching him play for osu, that heā€™d make a good backup qb in the nfl (with a chance to slide into the starting role when destiny calls and give him the opportunity to prove himself)ā€¦ because he always seems to find a way to exceed expectations. and this is his chance. heā€™s won the starting job. despite being booed in their first home game when playing in place of quinton flowers (the hometown favorite in florida), and now aaron murray is healthy ā€¦they are sticking with cornelius.
i like cornelius because heā€™s the underdog. and having grown up watching the cowboys religiously, i am a big underdog fan.
but all that asideā€¦he looks better than landry jonesā€¦
(an nfl backup to big ben for many years)

You my friend are on an island on this one.

1 Like

I file TC in the (extensive) what could have been file (filing cabinet) . What would he have looked like if we wouldā€™ve had TC plays instead of MR plays to run ? Heck what would he have looked like with Tim Rattay working with him ? We wonā€™t get to see MY develop elhinger heā€™s already a senior .

Iā€™ve got a soft spot for TC and I think he can do well . Heā€™s only just now playing his fifteenth game in the last five years after all .

Thereā€™s a reason for thatā€¦

3 Likes

Thereā€™s also a reason heā€™s getting paid to play a game .

In a secondary league with clearly inferior talent and wasnā€™t the starter until someone got hurtā€¦ with 4 tdā€™s to 6 picksā€¦

Not NFL talent at all.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure your first job out of college was all glitz, glamour and a great title . Mine wasnā€™t lol.

The guy is working at a startup and doing what he loves . Is he doing a great job ? Not exactly . Heā€™s doing well enough to keep starting and putting his team in a position to win . Doesnā€™t always get it done but it is a team sport.
I never said he was nfl talent . I wondered a few what ifā€™s .

1 Like