Poll of the Week (12-14-20): Who is the Best RB of the Gundy Era

Kendall was a finalist his senior year I believe.

4 Likes

Hunter was a beast over his career and Chuba could have been better without the injuries and sitting behind Hill. I think if Chuba gets a couple more games are regular speed, he not only takes over second in many categories behind Hunter but overtakes him in a few. That in addition to the stellar, all-time 2019 season he had, makes him my #1.

You may be right. I initially googled and it was not listed as one of his honors. Just now I tried a different approach and found an article that did list him as a finalist. Too many beers to remember a whole decade ago.

You’ve got Hunter and Hubbard the career leaders at 5.9 per but Savage shows 6.0 which would make him the leader in that category.

1 Like

Great catch!

1 Like

Also have to take into account OLs. Chuba would’ve been unbelievable with a Hunter or Randall line.

3 Likes

Well then maybe he should have recruited better. /s

1 Like

I had looked at these stats when the poll came out on sports reference so I had a head start.

Why do much randall love? I loved him too but I don’t think given Kendalls career and Chubas 2019 that he’s even close.

I created a ranking sheet for OSU seasons and careers. According to my rankings, this was how it shook out.

5 Likes

Here’s my updated table. Thanks @therealBP for catching the rushing average oversight.

1 Like

Great spreadsheet! Do the stats for the older players include bowl games?

Wasn’t Tyreek a running back here?

It’s spotty. I made sure to include Barry’s on principle (and they were easy to find). But everyone before about 2003 is hit or miss. And the defensive stats are atrocious before about 2009

1 Like

I was looking up Terry Miller yesterday. And Sports Reference had bowl games included for 2 of his 4 years (and not in 76 when they won the conference). Gets so confusing.

1 Like

Mostly.

I can’t take this list seriously without Nathan Simmons on it. :joy: Kidding!!! Jamal Fobbs was an absolute beast who never got the carries he deserved. David Thompson was an all-American in the early 90’s. Need to do some research and I’ll get back in on this one. Great answers and debate so far!

1 Like

Terrance Richardson was also underrated. Had to look him and brother Andre up in Oklahoman archives on the Google.

I took Hunter, but Chuba, and Hill, ran behind pretty mediocre lines. Wonder what those dudes would have done behind prime Wickline OL’s. Hell Carson behind those lines would have killed people.

Not to burst your bubble, but it’s restricted to the Gundy Era.

That said, I’ve no idea who those guys are. Please elaborate.