Quarterback to Back: How Arizona State's True Freshman Stacks Up against OSU's QB Committee

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/quarterback-to-back-how-arizona-states-true-freshman-stacks-up-against-osus-qb-committee/

OSU heads to the desert without a defined QB pecking order.

I bet OSU just rotates the order: Bowman starts, Gundy get mid-game reps, Rangel finishes.

Then, against S. Alabama: Gundy starts, Rangel mid-game, Bowman finishes.

By Week 4, we should have a QB1.

1 Like

“…and even indicated that this committee approach might not be a such bad thing.

Yes, it is! :sunglasses:

1 Like

One thing i can say they were all ready to play.

2 Likes

First of all, the numbers in that chart are wrong. OSU didn’t go 30 for 30. That’d be nice, but no. Secondly, there are 3 QB’s and 3 non-conf games. Just play each one for a whole game so you really could get a better idea of who played better.

1 Like

Or we could let the winningest coach in OSU history decide how he wants to deal with the situation :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

There used to be a time in Gundy’s career when we would go with a starter at QB only to find out the wrong QB was starting all along. So while I don’t think it’s ideal to experiment in the first part of the season I at least appreciate the fact he’s trying to find the best fit.

However…….I think Rangel is the guy going forward. He seemed the most poised and comfortable out of the three. He also had the best pocket presence of all three. Now, if he goes through the first quarter and half and stinks it up then throw Gunnar and Bowman in. I don’t see that being the case, but I could be wrong.

He has the receivers for success. The pass protection seemed okay while he was in there (except for maybe a couple of plays), and for the love of God split the line out some and shelf the freaking zone blocking on runs.

Yes let go.with you.joy . Go with the only qb that threw a pic. Your rite

1 Like

Even Gunnar or Bowman would’ve done the same had they got creamed the way Rangel did. Also, someone’ already pointed out to you it was a 4th down deep in the UCA territory anyway. Use your brain please.

On another note here. I just thought I’d point out we scored the third least points out of every team in the conference this past weekend, and we played an FCS team.

1 Like

10 teams played fcs schools who cares what we scored.

By the way gunnar was hundred 100% in the red zone. Idnt see how its better to give up a pic on 4th down deep inside the red zone. Fg is what we should have done.
Your not making any points just wasting our time

1 Like

Something that a lot of you are missing, at least IMO, is at least part of this 3QB strategy, and also giving game reps to a lot of other players who wouldn’t have gotten them in the past, is the coaching staff’s response to the new college football paradigm. That being the portal and NIL. HCMG has mentioned this several times in recent press conferences. Before the portal was a thing coaches would decide who the 1st team was and they would get the majority of the practice and game reps. Everybody else would have to wait their turn and provide backup to the 1’s which is very important to the team but not all that rewarding to the player as far as getting playing time. With the advent of the portal the 2’s and 3’s can just leave if they don’t like the reps that they are getting. So to try and mitigate that coaches must figure out ways to give more players a chance to get game reps and show what they can do. This does two things. It satisfies, at least somewhat, the players itch to play in games and it provides actual game play evidence as to how players compare to their peers. So now the coaches can have game tape that provides better explanations as to why X player is a 1 and Y player is a 2 and possibly satiate, in some cases, players such that they stick around and play the backup role while waiting their turn to start. Certainly there are a lot of flaws to this concept and I’m not defending it either way but I think it is a big reason why we are playing 3qb’s ATM.

3 Likes

None of it matters as long as Gundy is the coach. You know and I know and everybody else that has watched a Oklahoma state gundy coached team the past 10 or more years know that we are going to be in a dog fight with everybody we play. When was the last time gundy beat the breaks off a power 5 team or a fcs team for that matter? It only goes down hill from here but it’s been going down for over ten years now. Enjoy. Gundy is incapable reversing this trend. Enjoy.

1 Like

But hey, it’s always funny listening to the hope and dreams of every season and watching those hopes dreams sail away year after year. Maybe next year guys.

2 Likes

LOL I can see the trolls have replied to my dissertation but I can’t actually see what they say cuz I have their comments blocked. What a wonderful feature that is.

3 Likes

You referencing Gundy for the past 10 years leads me to believe you are maybe 30 years old at the most. If you had a 50 year prospective on the program like I do you would truly appreciate all Mike Gundy has done to make Oklahoma State relevant in football. Complain all you want and then name me another coach that has done more for OSU football that has not just stayed a couple of years as a stepping stone in their career. Who would you replace Gundy with? We are lucky to be where we are thanks to Gundy

4 Likes

I guess you’re right. As long as we have a top ten defense we should be fine. Because our offenses the last few years certainly aren’t what they used to be.

Lol i know im rite. But, your post had nothing to do with my post.

1 Like

Alex Hale had trouble making field goals from 40+ yards the last time he was our main kicker. From that distance you’re looking at a 46-48 yard field goal. I thought you trusted Gundy’s instincts? Use your brain.

I have no idea what your talking about. Hale had only missed 1 kick before his issues. When he came back the next year he had problems making any kick. When your not making extra points it a head thing. I know he had a short leg. He did just hit a 45 yarder. We have logan for longer kicks. I dnt have any idea what your talking about gundy. Hale can kick, like alot of other kickers. Some go thur an oops deal. But, he is 2 for 2 on fg and 3 for 3 on extra

1 Like