Redshirt Freshman Receiver Matt Polk Enters Transfer Portal, per Report

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/redshirt-freshman-receiver-matt-polk-enters-transfer-portal-per-report/

Polk’s father played under Jimmy Johnson and Pat Jones.

1 Like

Given how deep the WR position is, this isn’t much of a surprise. Hope he’s able to find a place where he get some playing time.

3 Likes

It’s to bad , but I’m sure we will see a few leave if not this year next.

1 Like

Yeah when all of your starters are freshman but one and you sign 3 more wideouts this year it’s to be expected. I hate to see it because I thought Polk could’ve been good.

2 Likes

We are getting alot. We got a good group come in. With one getting high praise in the all american work outs. We’re only losing 1 and got to more who we’re injured.

2 Likes

Smart move to find somewhere else where he has a better chance of playing. Do we really need these many receivers? I think we need some O line men. What looks like it will hurt us for next season is the loss of McCalister and Jernigan as both were playing really well. I thought McCalister was getting a lot of playing time. The article failed to mention Rashod Owens returning as receiver. They will probably continue to use John Paul Richardson sparingly but when they do throw to him he usually catches the ball and the defense usually focuses on guys other than him. So he should remain one of our better secret weapons. We should be pumped for next season. Will luck ride with the Cowboys as much as it did this season? I don’t know, but we do know we are bringing back a lot of experienced, talented players. Just shore up that O line so Spencer Sanders can shine. And let Gunar play in the non conference games a bit. Any word on LD Brown coming back, and also why he hardly was on the field against Notre Dame?

2 Likes

The only way ld could come back would have been via a medical redshirt. By playing in the bowl I think he can’t get a medical.
It’s find to have this many recieves. They just all pretty good. I would like to see some of them to put weight on and be more physical of the line.

1 Like

I agree, getting that player from Tulsa would help replace Jernigan, would like to see us land a center and a guard from the portal, after that maybe target a linebacker and a running back?

Kind of figured he would be out. Wonder if his issue is speed but it’s a very loaded position. Best wishes to the kid!

1 Like

McAllister left for Ohio state. God a hate that goddamn team. Hated them before they took Knowles and now I hate them even more. Outside of OU they’ve gotta have the worst fan base in all of CFB. Hell they might be even worse.

2 Likes

JP’s a stud and reminds me a lot of Stoner and not just cause the #17 thing. Their bodies are around the same size, sure hands, etc. Got to find a way to get the ball into Braylin Presley’s hands, he’s gonna be a dynamo as well!

1 Like

Does anyone know anything about the status of Langston Anderson? Seems like he was a fairly high recruit but never see him playing.

1 Like

Pretty sure he’s been injured almost the whole time he’s been on campus

1 Like

I like JP as well, good hands and blocks well. Shettron coming in with all the other young receivers we are stacked. We have to have the go to for Martin

2 Likes

I have a different take. I find it funny ohio state has a scholarship for a “3*” recruit that has 1 year of eligibility. Karma will kick in and they will probably lose a younger player who was expecting to get minutes that might to to TMac. I think we all agree that Tanner is a quality player regardless of his HS ranking. JK looked at film and concluded TMac can play at ohio state. Play over higher ranked recruits they have been developing. My hope is Gundy will hire an outside defensive coordinator that can develop players and call plays in crunch time like what happened under Knowles, Holgy, and Monken.

1 Like

Very true. 247 has him as a 4* transfer

Crazy a aTm legacy kid, his dad is Bucky Richardson who was a decent QB for A&M, didn’t even offer him.

1 Like

Stars are vastly OVERRATED. My brother used to work with USC CB Chris Steele’s uncle. Steele was a 5 star. I personally don’t understand why he was anything above a 3, very overrated. Look at Texas’ recruits the last 10 years, what 4 or 5 did they have who turned up great? Caden Sterns (5-star recruit), whose older bro Jordan (3 stars) played for us and wasn’t even as good as Jordan in college, who was a dang good DB, IMO.

1 Like

Yea I don’t understand the star system, it’s usually how many camps you make for exposure. A lot of kids can’t go to every one. JP should have been a 4 :star:. Bucky taught him well.
aTm didn’t think he was good enough. You would think they would have offered just be of Bucky. Kid will be a player before he leaves

1 Like

I think that’s because where he is transferring to
Don’t think he was 4 star anywhere before he signed with us

1 Like