Report: Jim Knowles Won't Coach in Fiesta Bowl, Set to Make $1.9 Million Annually

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/report-jim-knowles-wont-coach-in-fiesta-bowl-set-to-make-1-9-million-annually/

Knowles won’t call plays for the Cowboys in Arizona.

1 Like

I can’t say I blame him. I imagine he doesn’t want to witness a total mental breakdown by the OSU offense and coaching staff while his defense does everything humanly possible to try and win the game.

1 Like

Always so hopeful for ur gundy hate.
Only Knowles will lose out when this defense roughs up notta lame, it will show it was not all scheme from a mad scientist.
So, Knowles was just made THE highest paid assistant at THE osu. They also gave him a bonus, which never happens. And the main point Knowles made he was out of the town of stillwater.
On another note switzer was not impressed with ou’s hire.

There may be some trust issues in play here, don’t know if Knowles separation was amicable or not. The way HCMG kept saying Knowles will be back next year over and over tells me that HCMG might have been surprised at Knowles leaving, 8 times out of 10 something like that doesn’t leave everyone singing kumbaya around the camp fire

1 Like

I’m not surprised. It would’ve been awkward to say the least.

1 Like

So who is going to be the DC and call the plays?

Our next dc.

That’s a fair point. We are going to see if was more the Xs and Os or the Johnnies and Joes that made the D what it is.
However, what if there are no major injuries or opt outs, and the Notre Dame offense boat races the D? What will you response be in that scenario? (Honest question).

1 Like

Well we can chalk this game up as an L if the defense can’t operate without him. No way the offense can carry us to a win.

1 Like

If I had a guess it’ll be Joe Bob Clements calling the plays as a sort of try out for the job.

4 Likes

DC. We have the defense in tack. With an average notta lame offense. They put more then 24 on us then it’s more then Knowles.
I dnt care how much they have scored against Stanford, usc, or g tech. This offense is not that kind of great.
It would be Sanders throwing 5 pics. The front guys being bullied.
But if nd comes out and exploits r weaknesses. Sure, that would be still Knowles. Isu and Baylor 2.0 tore us up. Throw in some deep balls, for penalties.
I know Joey and the gang will say see. But, that is out there before Knowles left.

2 Likes

Well Robert, I for one can’t wait to see these super Sr and will find it interesting to see how the super Sr adjust in the second half.

1 Like

This is just what I alluded to, u gurls can’t wait for it to blow up.
So I guess I would want better adjustments then the isu game. 17 in the second half.
And hope they tackle better then the ou game.
For heaven sakes they dnt let nd throw 17 straight passes.
That last one came from a guy who has called our defense for the last 50 games plus the 80 plus he has called.
Yea a guy who has never called a game should be fine u bet.

Yea I was thinking Joe Bob too

1 Like

Which will answer a question that I have. Of the total Defense capability/success how much of it is the players and how much is it the DC play calling/game planning. If we shut out Notre Dame that says more on the players and if we get boat raced that says more on the DC play calling/planning. Of course it’s not that black and white due to all the variables but it will be interesting to see how the D looks and plays in the bowl game

1 Like

It may have very well been Gundy who told Knowles that he wouldn’t stay. Gundy needs to see if Clements can make the calls and how he works game day. There is no substitute for the real thing. It gives Gundy more info on what he must do next with his defensive coaches.
I could see Ohio St telling Knowles not to report until Jan 2 because the Buckeyes first game next year is vs……Notre Dame.

1 Like

With the amount of second half shutouts we’ve seen this year I think he’s an integral part of the success. The defense might be able to hold their own without him for this game but once the guys who’ve been able to learn under him for years are gone we will start having issues unless Gundy hits another home run DC hire.

1 Like

Of coarse he is the reason! We all know that. Every year our defense got better statistically. You can’t get anything out of this game. Never the same two teams playing at full capacity. Both coaches left them high and dry so don’t put any stock in this game at all. This is why bowl games are worthless and meaningless now.

2 Likes

We lost one hell of a coach. Him and holgy were by far the best in 16 years. Other good one was Dunn as a receiver coach.

Yep that makes perfect sense