Report: OSU Cowboy Back Jelani Woods Enters Transfer Portal

I guess that’s true. I can’t blame him for transferring though. I know at least Bryce Bray’s new team looks like their in the right path since they played for a conference title this season. Cant blame him for transferring to the 2nd best team in Oklahoma right now.

If I were him I would be heading to Iowa State. They like to use their tight ends and actually play for conference titles now.

Gundy going to gundy.

Since he has been at OSU they’ve went 3-6, 5-4, and 6-3 in the conference, maybe he would like to compete for something.

What I love is u guys wanted Gundy to open up the play book. Now were not completing enough 5 yd passes.:upside_down_face:
If he goes that be sad but will live thur it.

However, the B12 has a rule about transferring between member schools that players lose a year of eligibility. Not sure if he would have to sit out though. In this COVID year, he might only lose the free year he gained. But yes, Iowa St might be a destination for him.

Look for Woods to find a spot at Georgia Southern.

1 Like

Being a te Is so much more than just catching the ball as a receiver. To that end though, he’s very athletic, good speed and mobility so will have the ability to get open. That, combined with his size will make him a good tool to create mismatches in the right system. Yes, his hands could improve a bit, but they are still better than many are giving him credit for. However, he’s also a very good blocker, which is how we primarily used him due to the o line deficiencies. If you watch tape, even though he’s the"receiving te" he very often stayed in to block. When he did run a route it was almost always just bump the linebacker/DE and roll to the flat to provide a check down. He was definitely used more as a blocker than a receiver though. The te is not much more than an after thought in the passing game in this system, which was seen even when we had Jarwin, who was described as one of the more athletic players on the team, both at OSU and now in Dallas. Our route tree for the te especially is very limited so there will be a big adjustment for him at the next level in that regard but I do still believe he has the skill set to make that jump.

Isu have plenty of te and they play the position rite. Two were 12th selection maybe the third got honorable mention.

I’ve complained all year long that he doesn’t use Jelani Woods enough. Gundy is so hell bent on running the ball that he doesn’t realize he has a major mismatch with some teams in the short passing game. How do you think Iowa State was able to beat OU once and almost a second time? Because they know their tight ends were a big mismatch for OU. Jelani Woods is a bigger and more athletic tight end than Charlie Kolar. That’s why if he were to go to ISU or a team that is heavily reliant on tight ends in the receiving game he’ll probably have a good shot at the NFL.

Name one TE that catches back-shoulder passes? That’s usually reserved for WRs. I can’t recall a TE ever catching that in college, LOL.

I misread your earlier comment. You mentioned back shoulder fades, but in reference to the typical routes in our offense. I thought you were saying we should have utilized Woods in this way.

There are TEs who make these plays. The kid from Florida this year. Maybe Kolar from ISU, and in years past, guys like Coffman from Missouri, or Andrews from OU. A big guy should be able to use his size against smaller DBs, but Woods struggled with it. That was my point.

It starts with Sanders. If he cant deliver the pass to open recievers. It doesnt matter what plays r called. I do think it is the funniest thing ever we u guys talk about Gundy old offense. Just to yrs ago a walkon stepped up and threw for 4000 yds ran 400 had 32tds passing and 10 running and wasnt hurt half the time.