Roundtable: Should Bedlam Stay? Pac-12, Big Ten or Bust?

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/roundtable-should-bedlam-stay-pac-12-big-ten-or-bust/

A wide-ranging discussion on all things OSU and realignment.

Just saw a Baylor centric video with two interesting takes. 1. The Big 12 needs to stay together long enough to get the big pay day from ou and ut leaving. 2. OSU is going to fine no matter where they end up, no need to worry about them.
So I like getting the cash and apparently we are going to be fine……

1 Like

Thats what I’ve been saying the hole thyme.
Get the :moneybag:. Then the day after defunk the big12.:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::shushing_face::shushing_face::shushing_face::shushing_face::hugs::hugs::hugs::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::partying_face::partying_face:

Crazy idea: Convince LSU and Auburn to leave the shadow of Bama and come be the bell cows in Big12 country. Maybe let A&M come crawling back with them.

I know, I know it doesn’t make $en$e, but maybe they’d be into the idea of being the big fish and having the road to a conference championship run through their stadium?

Real thoughts here:

1. Bowlsby should be fired 3 days ago. Some other poster had a great line (sorry I don’t remember who to credit) Bowlsby was an empty suit empowered by Texas. He didn’t even know his puppeteers were cutting the strings on him. He. Got. To. Go.
  2. If the Remnant 8 wants any shot at staying a conference and being relevant, it’s time to make big desperate swings. Maybe LSU is a pipe dream, but the new commish needs to pucker up to the pipe and inhale like a sonofagun! Sure add some Houstons and whatever to get to 16 teams, but the first priority is gatting a big fish. Don’t know how to do it, but if you don’t anchor the league with a brand name you end up a G5 league as many have already commented. If these 8 presidents want to stay together in this conference, get a new commish and start dreaming big of getting a brand name into your conference.
2 Likes

I will NOT miss being cheated continually by ou and texas in games by parties that want more eyeballs on conference championships and kowtow to the perceived big boys…I do NOT want Bedlam to continue unless we have WAC refs or refs that otherwise have ZERO reason to give one sided calls in games. I’m so done with ou, we need to also swear to never watch a single SEC or specifically ou game ever again as Oklahoma State fans…IF we watch we contribute to this demise of our own team and conference. If it’s all about the dollars…STOP giving them the pleasure of your eyes…it’s time for conference and fan boycotts. The ratings are going to go down anyway because Gen Z doesn’t give a crap about football.

1 Like

There are two things I think are advantages to leaving the Bedlam game for at least a short period.

1. The article spells it out at the end - OSU’s brand get’s tarnished with a loss to OU at the end of every year. Many other programs in a similar position to OSU don’t have to face a top 5 all time program, in one of their best 20 year sustained runs of success year-in year-out. OU fans might not see it that way with the lack of championships since 2000, but the consistent quality of OU’s brand of football has barely wavered since 2000. Oregon hasn’t had to deal with that. Clemson’s rise from middle of the road quality was almost paved.
  2. I’ve posted this on reddit and elsewhere, but OU has been the single biggest beneficiary of OSU’s rise from complete mediocrity into a consistent top 15 program in wins. As OSU has been recognized for football quality their annual (earned) win against OSU gets more impressive. OU has beaten a top 15 ranked OSU 5 times in the last 10 years. They’ve beaten a top 25 ranked OSU 7 times in the last 10 years. That’s been a major factor in their “end of year” resume when bowls and playoff committees have looked at the Sooners. Other Big12 programs (Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor in their 15 minutes of fame) have not been so kind to the Sooners.

In summary, the Sooners benefit, and we suffer from the Bedlam relationship as it is currently constructed. I have no problem leaving it for a few years** and trying to run the PAC or ACC. If we do that, the conversation nationally changes.

**Assuming we aren’t left in the AAC or some franken Big12 with a massive hole in the athletics budget.

6 Likes

Let Bedlam die. #FreeThePokes

4 Likes

Lol good try but NO. We should give them no quarter. Stop playing them, stop watching them play SEC games and stop watching SEC games altogether unless it involves OSU.

3 Likes

But only watch half the game that involves osu​:upside_down_face::crazy_face::flushed::scream::pleading_face::partying_face::exploding_head::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

I don’t understand why people think that theACC is such a long shot. Notre Dame may turn down an invite to the ACC. When the playoff becomes 12 members they will be almost automatic to get in. As well, they already agreed not to be a 1 thru 4 seed regardless of their record, meaning anytime they are a top 8 team they will get a home playoff game which is money. And they will be playing in South Bend in December.
I think the ACC would be the best option for OSU. We are 4-0 vs 3 teams in the ACC who are middle or upper strength in the league the last 5 years. 2-0 vs Pitt, 1-0 vs Va Tech, 1-0 vs Miami. We could easily come in and compete with everyone except Clemson.
I realize that football is the money maker,but no one talks basketball at all regarding this. Who has a better chance at winning a natty: Gundy or Boynton? Boynton has proved he can recruit vs Kansas and Kentucky. Imagine Boynton being the only member of the ACC in the OK/TX footprint…with the B12 dissolved. Let that sink in. If you are from Texas you can stay relatively close to home and play Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse and Louisville in Stillwater! OSU has never enjoyed such a recruiting angle. Oh yeah, we would be in a better basketball league than OU and Texas and recruiting in the same area!
I’m all in for the ACC.

1 Like

I still think Bedlam should be around. I think we all know that Mike Gundy is one of the few that probably doesn’t want to see crimson and cream across the field from him ever again.

I’m confused what you disagree with. Did I not make the case that Bedlam as it currently exists is bad for OSU?

I agree with this take. OU is benefitting more from OSU than the other way around. OU gets to pad its resume every year by beating a quality football program, whereas OSU is not quite at the level where the loss hurts their playoff chances (because they haven’t been at a high enough level to get in anyhow.) OU benefits more than OSU. That being said, OU clearly will benefit even more with the SEC, so their move is sensible. As long as OSU gets picked up by another P5 conference, there is absolutely no reason to continue playing Bedlam.

2 Likes

Lol, “one of the few that doesn’t want to see Blood and Bile (my terms for crimson and cream) across the felid from OSU.” I don’t know many, if any, OSU Alumni fans that enjoy that stupid game and don’t want it to die at least for a time.

1 Like

I don’t want it either. Done w/ Bedlam. You don’t hear OU fans begging to keep Bedlam either despite the fact they own football. The majority on both sides don’t want it to continue. The way in which OU/Texas went about realignment has nothing to do w/ Gundy’s record vs OU. Give it a rest.

2 Likes

I would think OU fans would want to keep bedlam football going. It’s essentially a lock for a top 25 win every year. Not worth it for us unless we get stuck in some AAC mashup with massive budget cuts then we might not have much of a choice.

1 Like

All the wins over McNeese State and Kansas plus making it to a Cheezy bowl doesn’t seem to make us a hot commodity.

1 Like

Lsu should welcome us with open arms they play Mcneese more then we do. Look go join an ou site u really r a sad guy.

Gundy beat Texas 7 times and look where they are going.

Texas has money, we have a coach with less wins against OU than 2/3 of the conference and whose only chance of ever winning the conference again is hold the big 12 together and bring in North Texas and Rice.