Schedule Preview: OSU Opens Big 12 Play against Rebounding Iowa State

Originally published at: Schedule Preview: OSU Opens Big 12 Play against Rebounding Iowa State – Pistols Firing

The Cowboys kick off conference play with a trip to Ames.

I’m glad we’re getting a milder ( on paper) schedule setup this year but if we gel and get to a decent run will it end up biting us in the yass?

I mean I guess not since the league has a championship now .

Also doesn’t our bye come really early ?

2 Likes

I’m not typically a Negative Ned, but I’m thinking that OSU finishes in the bottom half of the league. Now, if this new blocking scheme can get going….we’ll see.

3 Likes

Isu lost their number on target in Hutchinson.

Two play makers. I real dnt care how our block is as long as bowman is healthy and ready its a win.

1 Like

Without really studying or knowing much about what Iowa State’s lost or returned (to include the transfer portal) Ames is always an incredibly difficult place for our team to play. I went up there in 2015 when we came back and won 35-31 and that crowd was nuts. Iowa State went 3-9 that season btw. Matt Campbell has proven though he’s better than any coaches they’ve had in the past there over the last twenty years. One has to think he’s taken some significant steps to address those offensive woes. I mean…he did fire his offensive coordinator as a start and promoted someone on the current staff to OC. We’ll see how that shakes out.

2 Likes

I’m probably taking action on the over for our regular season wins total

1 Like

Believe it or not, OSU actually has a winning record in Ames. — That’s because Iowa State used to STINK, almost akin to what Kansas was before, but not quite THAT bad.

2 Likes

Me too, very little change to the offense the last 12 years…same old wack plays and play calling. The saving grace is this VERY WEAK schedule. Might be able to get 8, 9 wins, but I doubt it. I say 8 if we’re lucky most of the time, likely 7.

1 Like

Last in Stilly we beat ISU 20-14, scoring the last 10 points of the game even though we only had 244 total yards, 11 FD, 35-57 rushing and the Cyclones had 5 TOs. We should have won comfortably if we were any good with a+3 TO ratio. I’d be concerned playing in Ames next year.

1 Like

I have bet on OSU in the past on this and won, but I’d would be skeptical this year.

The schedule is weak. If we had last year’s schedule I would predict a losing season and we still might.

1 Like

Everything that everyone has been crying about our offense isu was worse.
We will see if their line is better. That may make decker better.
I know they got a freshman that a sub 11 in the 100. Their other back are not hall.
Hutchinson was their best wr.
Whole new coaching staff on that side of the ball.
Maybe they werent bad just not used rite. I know everyone here thinks it was our coaches not the fact we were bangged up.
On the defensive side all i got to say is ross. That guy is everywhere. Play makers are tuff to replace. School like us dnt reload playmakers.
Tech lost a big one. Tcu and ksu lost a bunch.
We stay healthy on the line it’ll be fine. Bowman will get back into it with more reps in fall.

1 Like

Our Dline with the big Utah dude and the Tulsa grad will be fine with Oliver playing LB or a hand in the dirt. You can bring him from anywhere. LB should be decent, , Black isn’t bad, I thought he was better than Muhammad. Daniels could be a hammer
If the OL jells we have running backs , good receivers although we lost some nice ones. We reloaded with some nice ones. If Bowman gets in sink it will surprise a bunch. Schedule is really good

1 Like

Be hard for the Frogs to replace Duggan and Johnston Those two won a bunch of late games for them last year. Tech about the same. How does Texas avoid being really good :joy:. Goons probably better. Should be good games every weekend
Go Pokes :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Even when we were relatively healthy on the O-line in 2021 we were average at best. We just happened to have an NFL caliber running back fall in our lap that we were pretty much forced to play against Boise State without knowing how good he was. Even then, we still weren’t the greatest rushing team in the country that season. That doesn’t fall on injuries, but rather on the coaching staff for whiffing that badly on what Warren brought to the table.

Look how crappy our running game was in the 2021 CCG when Warren couldn’t play. You could argue an injury or two across the line I guess, but we win that game if Warren is playing. I think Chris and Teatown are correct on this one. The coaching staff needs to be more creative offensively and better at evaluating on what’s on the roster. DR played in eight games with 149 rushes while OG played in eleven games with 62 rushes. Can you guess which one had the better per rush average? Why aren’t we playing our better players?

Most of this chit is the same vomit you always propell.

Playing the rite play or freshman.

First off i would say most coach aren’t excited about startng freshman. Thats not a gundy thing. I would say we have used freshmen about the same as others. Excepted these last few years, we have used more because of injuries.

Everyone knows a way to lose playing time is to fumble.

Toward the end of the season og did look better. But, if you think og looked better then any of the backs your crazy.

Stop crying i hate to have to spell out stuff to you all the time. Try to think to yourself. Is this a issue or do i have it wrong. In your case your always wrong

1 Like

There’s a reason OG stayed and DR is gone, and it’s not because DR was going to be spearheading the running game for OSU this upcoming season. Just like how it didn’t happen last season. I can also agree turnovers kill us, but showing consistently we can’t move the ball forward or be more creative in the running game, or make minimal adjustments to it is a big problem. Hopefully with us going away from the zone blocking concept that might change a few things for the better. Btw OG was better than DR. If he wasn’t he would’ve been the one that transferred out.

Can you even read. Day 1 og was not better then dr. By the end he probably was, but NOT DAY ONE. he may not be number 1 this year heard alot if good stuff out of nixon and the new kid.
I made my point. You just muttled yours.

1 Like

Watch tape of DR running the ball, head was always down stay behind a wad of OL and defenders. He never learned to bounce outside, OG did after he got carries from being benched for fumbling. A turnover is a killer. You think OG could have started at the first of the year ? Even you are better than that. You wanted lil P to be thrown in there :joy: we have experience this year with the M St transfer, Nixon and OG. DR didn’t fumble but wasn’t a run to daylight back

1 Like

I hope one of the RBs separates himself from the rest so this argument is done.

1 Like