Search for Knowles' Replacement

So, here we are again…

After being a life-long OSU fan, Alum, and religiously following Gundy & the Cowboys I feel like I have a decent beat on who Gundy looks for in Coordinators (With that being said, do we really? I mean Gundy always surprises us). But anyways, I have compiled a list of 6 Candidates that I think Gundy might go after. All have done more with less. All have been towards the top in the defensive statistics that Gundy has shown he cares about, etc.

(In no particular order)
Scott Symons - Liberty University
Tom Kaufman - Kent State
Lou Esposito - Western Michigan
Austin Armstrong - Southern Miss
Zach Arnett - San Diego State
Shane Eachus - Houston Baptist

The outlier here, is is Shane Eachus, and that is because he won’t show up towards the top of the defensive statistics. He is a guy that just left OK State for a DC job at Houston Baptist. While at OK State he was Knowles right hand man. He was a grad assistant with Knowles at Duke, and followed him to OK State. He had the same role at OK State, and essentially ran all of Knowles Individual drills at practice. Knowles trusted him… Previously he was a DC at a DII school I believe, and so he has done it before, and then learned from Knowles.

Ought to be interesting going forward!

I was stumping for Jim Knowles golden retriever dog to run the defense last night on another thread. LOL. But having a real live human who was his right hand man “go for” at OkState is an even bigger upgrade. I’m on the the Shane Eachus train. Toot! Toot!

3 Likes

I don’t want Liberty University sludge, sorry.

2 Likes

I just hope whoever they get inspires hope within the players. Losing Knowles was a bit of a gut punch.

4 Likes

Yes ur rite I want some liberal hippie teaching our guys to play smash mouth defense.
The Prime Mate strikes again.

1 Like

How in the absolute hell did you pull that from what I said?

I simply said I don’t want Liberty University sludge. There are tons more universities out there.

4 Likes

“Liberal Hippy”, huh?

That’s funny… Because you obviously know nothing about Liberty University. Liberty is a private Christian University.

2 Likes

That’s not why he said that, Mr. Sandwich.

2 Likes

Probably said something similar when Gundy hired Knowles from Duke…

3 Likes

Yea u got my comment wrong. Even prime mate got it.

1 Like

Are we just assuming that Jim Knowles, an Ivy League grad who grew up in a city that hasn’t had a Republican governor since 1948, is a staunch Republican?

9 Likes

U got part of it. Do they only hire Trump supporters on the liberty football team.
And as long as their not briles, I’m into the best we can get.
I hope we look within.

1 Like

I don’t think that supporting Trump is why you shouldn’t want anything to do with employees at Liberty. I don’t think that is what @TheHeadChimp was saying either.

2 Likes

I mean anything’s possible I guess

3 Likes

Dude, it’s not about whether they’re Trump supporters. I hate Liberty University, period.

I swear, conversing with you is like trying to discover the first immediately-renewable energy source.

3 Likes

Certainly possible, but that’s quite an assumption. And I’m not sure why politics of your coach really matters all that much. Find the best guy. Don’t hire despicable humans.

2 Likes

Well, I love our defensive assistants, but none of them have any experience. I think they are really good at what they do as well.

Clements would be the guy if anyone IMO…

Just not Gundy’s track record. Especially when it comes to defense I just think Gundy will go with a guy that has experience, and someone that doesn’t need his hand held. You look at what he finally did with Dunn, and it’s been a struggle for the most part. You can also see that Gundy has had to help him along quite a bit. Gundy is not a defensive mind. That is not his specialty.

1 Like

Not sure how politics entered the thread. I’m sure that’s not what Chimp meant. Who cares what a coach’s political affiliation is anyway? As long as they fit the “culture” at OkState and do their job well (ethics + winning), it shouldn’t matter, right? Please, let’s not get going on the Gundy t-shirt again. Stupidest nothingburger made into a Hollywood drama in OkState’s history.

5 Likes

Preach…

Moving on…

2 Likes

What if we got Washington’s old head coach? He was bad as their head coach but he did a good job as their defensive coordinator

5 Likes