South Carolina, Boynton's Alma Mater, Has Coaching Vacancy

How would you know that, you weren’t on this blog until 2019, hell idk if this blog was even a thing in 2017

You should ask Gundy why he’s lost to all four different coaches they’ve had since 2007.

I’ve read this blog. Just never commented on it until then.

Lol oh I got ya :rofl:

5 years I’ve watched him be a loyal coach to his players instead of a good coach. Ive watched him allow his players to be selfish players without any repercussions. Ive watched Likekele get way more minutes than he should. Guys bringing the ball up that have no business dribbling. Etc… most of all, players don’t get better under him.
If he leaves, we really can’t do any worse. If he stays, he’s only got 2 years max to get us back to the tournament before he’s fired.

1 Like

@joe15 You work in the kitchen on the ship, your only responibility givin is taking out the trash dirty Joe Dirt

1 Like

What are you talking about? Who has Gundy kept after serious discipline issues? Blackmon had a DUI in the off-season, and at the time, it seemed like it wasn’t a big deal. Other than that, he released Elliot, Sims, Hill… Gundy, over 17 years, hasn’t had a lot of that going on. He’s run a pretty tight ship.

Watching you defend this mediocre to bad coach while hating on a good to excellent coach has been enlightening.

1 Like
  1. I don’t work on a ship.

2. I don’t take out trash (I got people that do that for me).

3. You’re delusional just like the rest of them.

Blatnick who was being charged with felony assault because he thinks it’s okay to attack his former teammates?

Did you forget October 26th, 2010?

Both of those were over a decade ago go away

So because they were over a decade ago they don’t count? That all happened under the Gundy regime. So it’s okay if Gundy retains undisciplined players, but it’s not okay if Miles did it?

Joey it doesn’t help your case. Look your trying to make some point. We were making points. You didn’t like.
Stop using ur obsession to prove things. They are both coaching next year. Boynton has work to do.

What point? I’ve made a point as well. Gundy just has to win 50% of his games and get into the field of 80 and OSU fans are happy. While Boynton has to win 67% of his games to get into the field of 68, and people were still not satisfied when he got us our first tourney win in 12 years.

1 Like

Repeating stupid stuff doesn’t help you.
You do know everybody is making fun of you. We’re not lining up for your prom date. Go up.

A field of 80 is nonsense. Most of those bowls have conference tie-ins. Yes, if you get six wins, you’re going to slot in somewhere as an at-large, but the 80-68 thing is meaningless. Many of the basketball conferences are only going to get their tourney champ in. The majority of those spots are going to P5 teams. You don’t need to win 67% of your games, you need to win 40-50% in conference and pad your totals with some non-con games, beat some decent teams.

Travis Ford made the tourney 80% of the time. Boynton 20%. That’s unacceptable. Get in the top half of the conference more than barely one time. Finish top 3 in the conference once ever. Get to the Sweet Sixteen.

1 Like

I think it’s stupid when everyone was praising Gundy for just getting to a bowl game after Tyreek Hill won bedlam for him (When he just won the conference three years earlier).

Then everyone wants to be disappointed about Boynton losing to Oregon State. Then continuing to label him a failure even if he wins the same percentage of games Gundy does.

I agree. I don’t think there should be any more than 25 bowl games.

Boynton beat Kansas twice and OU twice in 2017 (and got some decent wins) with a record of 19-14 and 8-10 conference record. They said his team wasn’t worthy. He didn’t even get to be in a play-in game in the tournament. So excuse me if I call BS on this one.

Travis Ford won just has many tournament games in 8 seasons as Boynton has in 5 so far.

Travis Ford never once played in the conference finals during the Big 12 tournament. Boynton has though.

OK, Boynton got jobbed for the tournament, but he was still a bubble team. The other three years, he wasn’t even close to being deserving.

1 Like

But you just said 40-50 percent of conference games and some good wins. He did that and you’re still holding it against him.

No, I’m saying that’s what it generally takes to make the tournament in a strong conference. He got mildly screwed over that first season, but only in that OU got in over us. As two bubble teams, we were clearly better. OU got in with Trae Young’s star power, not with what they accomplished. It would have been fair for both to make it or neither, but not OU over OSU.

However, that kind of season should be our baseline, being a bubble quality team, so he’s met that standard once, exceeded once, and failed to meet three times. How often is it ok to fail to meet the baseline? Not 60% of the time. On top of that, we need to be winning a tournament game every other year, should be making a deeper run every three or four. That’s a fair expectation of improvement. Anything lower than that, and we should’ve kept Ford because just below that is what Ford was achieving.

Our goal, for now, needs to be a team that can finish in the top 3 of the conference every 3 or 4 years and make a tournament push. I think that’s a realistic goal. Seeing TCU still alive in the tournament burns. To see a weak Big XII basketball school achieve more than Boynton is galling. St. Peter’s has more tournament success in the last five years than Boynton.

BEFORE Mike Gundy got here, I think a realistic expectation for our truly abysmal football team would be to make a bowl every other year, maybe 2 out of 3 years. He blew the lid off of that almost immediately. So, what’s the new baseline, the standard that he set, for the team? Probably an 8 win season. You act like people were thrilled about the 7-6 year. For one, that’s one of the few seasons he failed to meet his baseline. He regularly exceeds that. That season also gave us hope that things would get back on track: we beat OU, Mason looked good, Hill was a star, we won and coached an amazing bowl game. Then things did get back on track.

You think Gundy needs to raise the standard again. Maybe he will. Things are changing. However, the standard is far and away higher than it’s ever been in 100+ years of history. This is the high water mark by far. 16 straight winning seasons with 16 straight bowls has never even kind of close to happened (George W. Bush was president the last time we didn’t make a bowl). There are dozens of Power 5 schools that would trade places with us and probably only a dozen that wouldn’t at least consider it. Raising that ceiling is going to be very difficult. Your nitpicking is ridiculous.