The Top 5 Quotes from Mike Gundy's First Spring Ball News Conference

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/the-top-5-quotes-from-mike-gundys-first-spring-ball-news-conference/

Gundy talks Ollie, QBs and more.

“It’s one of the most difficult things to do in my position, but I haven’t done it a lot because I feel I’m responsible for them.”

I would say you haven’t done it enough. Not saying you should fire people left and right, but we have a guy that’s pretending to be a OC for four seasons now. So you think we need to change with Richmond, but not the guy that has to be told to give the ball to the best players? And also put up a combined 10 points against South Bama and UCF?

1 Like

Sometimes it’s hard to make sense listening to gundy try to make sense. Sometimes I just go what the hell did he just say? Yea always like how he always loves to tell reporters how he just sits up in the upper deck and let them do the coaching lol. Until he has a great offensive play and he brags about how he put that in the playbook. Whatever, just going to be another gundy year and it will be over. Rinse and repeat.

4 Likes

You think Mike actually lets Dunn call his own plays? On another note the O-line stunk it up every season Dickey has been around, but finally was above average after 4th game last season. He should’ve rehired Joe Wickline!

1 Like

Sadly there’s very little changes to the playbook every season. Dude hates trick plays and pulling O-linemen on run plays for whatever reason. We probably do that 2 times a game at best.

1 Like

It just doesn’t make any sense at all. We’ve been fairly good at the defensive line position since Richmond has been here (since 2018). He’s been a reason some guys got a shot in the NFL. He’s been a player AND assistant coach in the NFL. He literally just had a guy drafted also.

Meanwhile, we hold onto an OL coach that hasn’t had a single player of his drafted since he’s been here, and his lines are largely inconsistent. Also, we hold onto a pretender OC that’s helped cost us a conference title and CFP appearance (2021). He also can’t figure out that giving the ball to your best players is a good idea, and can’t figure out how to muster more than 10 points against teams he has better talent than.

Then people wonder why we’re going into year 20 under Gundy with one conference title. It’s decisions like these that tell me I shouldn’t be surprised if we never win another conference title under Gundy even in a conference absent of blue bloods.

1 Like

Straight mental aren’t you :roll_eyes: how many times have we heard the same chit ? 50 times ? 75 …
You should apply for coach since you know so much about football :joy:
:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

How many practices do you attend? How many football meetings do you go to? We don’t really know what goes on behind closed doors.

2 Likes

You should apply common sense. I know that’s hard for you, but you don’t retain guys that have been more inconsistent than consistent. This isn’t difficult to figure out Mike.

1 Like

We don’t? Probably because we don’t need to. Gundy has already stated multiple times they’ll keep doing the same thing. Of course, until you lose by 30 to South Bama. Ever notice how we only change things up when disaster strikes?

1 Like

I just can’t wait until you tell us how our coach sucks, our offensive coordinator sucks, our team sucks, our AD sucks. If only they would listen to you, because you are the Sport Whisperer.

2 Likes

You’ve heard it for 20 years going on 21. It’s the gundy train. As hard as it is to hear it that many times it just as hard for us to watch gundy run the same plays you know or say the same things you know or sit through the same seasons or be in the mid 30’s in recruiting every year or hear the program is in the best shape it’s ever been in but get blown the hell out 3 times in our own stadium in the same year. As long as gundy gives us the same thing you will probably hear the same thing. If he just gave us somthing different to talk about we would. Blame him not us.

1 Like

Its funny the three giys that answered first would cry no matter what gundy has to say. They have combined for 6 fat buns and zero wins.

1 Like

You don’t need to listen to me to figure out you put the ball into the hands of your best players. Otherwise, you get a South Bama result as I’ve already stated. I figured someone making almost 8 mil a year would be able to figure that one out :man_shrugging:.

What the hell are you talking about? If he wants to fire Richmond then fine. Notice how he doesn’t give any specific reasoning for it though.

There’s all kinds of specific reasons why he could’ve gotten rid of Dickey or Dunn by now, but as always, mediocrity and inconsistency is rewarded in the football program while a person that actually does their job gets ran out of Stillwater.

You still can’t figure this out after 12+ years with no conference title? All you need to do is observe and pay attention a little bit. His best chance for a conference title was Knowles’ last year here. The issue is he had a pretender running his offense that settled for field goals because he tried running the same thing against Baylor they had already seen earlier in the season.

1 Like

You act like losing to South Alabama is “breaking news”. News recap. The Gaza Strip continues its volatility, a major bridge collapsed in Maryland and Oklahoma State lost to South Alabama 6 months ago.

2 Likes

You don’t know why Richmond was let go. Period.

2 Likes

I imagine it has something to do with him not being a “yes man”. Most people who aren’t yes men in Stillwater find themselves being ran off before they even get started. Gundy obviously didn’t have a problem with him from 2018 up until now. So you tell me what’s changed?

1 Like

It could be anything. You always assume it’s a certain thing. Maybe Richmond became an alcoholic. Maybe he became too complacent due to the money he was making. Maybe Richmond fundamentally disagreed with the 3-3-5. You don’t know

2 Likes

He knows zero about football. Richmond wasn’t recruiting well enough.We had a portal from Tulsa come in and fill a gap. Haven’t seen our D-line fill gaps for the backers to come in. Maybe he became complacent. No one knows, joy is just throwing spaghetti against the wall hoping some of it sticks. He’s an immature imbecile

1 Like