Things I Hate About Work

The one that always uses meetings to bring up personal complaints from home. No one cares.

The one who forwards garbage emails (or worse, secret emails) without adding anything. She’s a walking Facebook post.

The one who micromanages and doesn’t accept alternative views to their own. Do it yourself then!

1 Like

Even better than this, is when you actually make a concerted effort to interface with everyone on the sales team with project closeout data. You tell them X weeks will not be manageable because of current shop load, long leads, etc. and they still over promise to a customer in a proposal when they have every reason in front of them not to.

1 Like

I’m really starting to hate video meetings. The company was using zoom, but it’s not free anymore so they gave all the leaders Microsoft teams licenses. HR feels it’s vitally important that we keep personal connection with our teams and the company also wants us to use this a customer facing tool.

It’s actually been pretty cool with the teams I manage.

What I hate is when meetings go upstream and you can tell certain people that @TheHeadChimp described above have spent hours setting up lighting, the most flattering viewing angle, the best way to show off their home office with its “leather bound books and rich mahogany”.

Don’t get me started about the people that show up in suit and tie.

4 Likes

Work from home has an expiration date for sure.

It’s been my life for almost my entire career. It has its advantages but it also has its buttwhips. It wasn’t so bad when I could fly every week/every other week to go see clients but now… every day is the saaaaaaaaaaammmmeee thiiiiiinnggg

2 Likes

I have been working from home predominantly for the last few years and while it occasionally gets old most of the time I like it. I had it kinda perfect before Covid though as I would go into the office a few days a month or if I just felt like it. Now going on 4+ months of JUST work from home it has gotten kinda stale.

2 Likes

When another company expects you to help them update and complete their files

3 Likes

Why is it so hard to come up with a unique username? [quote=“David, post:24, topic:8779”]
Work from home has an expiration date for sure
[/quote]

I agree, but I hope it isn’t sunset. From others I see here, I would love a schedule where I go to the office half the time (MTuW) and work from home the rest (ThF).

When someone calls and leaves a voicemail and just says, “This is __________, XXX-XXX-XXXX”

No, what do you want? Do I even want to talk to you? Are you wasting my time?

5 Likes

A-M-E-N.

“Even though I could literally just type it in myself on my own forms, in order to accept my order I need you to login to my company portal. I’ll generate a UN and PW for you. Also then I need you to fill out all of my own company forms for REACH and RoHS data every year, and when we design your product into a new product of ours you’ll need to fill out all of my forms with all of my company letterhead in the format I wish so that it can get entered into my ERP. Also, I need you to fill out a survey of conflict minerals, your company’s technical capabilities…”

Yup. And on the subject of calls… So I’m a documentation guy. I file away every email in every folder for every customer etc. etc. to fall back on later if I need. If I email you something that could be answered with a super quick super concise answer, and you call me within 5 seconds… ugh. Just reply quick and we can both be on to our next tasks man! (I sound fun)

2 Likes

That’s really the best. I used to have a local office I could go into whenever I wanted. I would stay home on Mondays, maybe go in on Tuesdays and Thursdays… it was great. The morning drive breaks up some of the mental cobwebs.

1 Like

I am the same way but there has been a bug in outlook that has broken the search feature for me for the last 9 months. Thus I cannot search for what I am needing in my files, I just have to scroll through the file now and hope I find it. Makes my documentation a lot less effective.

I started asking in job search if a company uses G-suite and it’s such a difference maker because I can search throughout my entire inbox and tag my emails automatically. Has made life easier.

At my last company, though, they were considering switching from Outlook to G-suite and I overheard the office’s admin say “G-suite is for millennials who still live with their parents.”

That’s when I knew I wouldn’t be at that company long.

3 Likes

Well are you a millennial?

Yes but I own a house that my parents do not live in and haven’t lived with my parents since I left for OSU in 2007.

It’s also a ridiculously stupid thing to think about email platforms.

I had to teach folks to use Microsoft Teams this spring, even though we rolled it out over a year prior. I could not imagine going away from Microsoft all together. They would have a melt down.

1 Like

Not to mention if it is an attitude shared by power brokers within a company, then it is surely the attitude of a company headed for flat growth, poor culture, and stale evolution.

Please, don’t be this guy :
You send out a meeting invite, and the most important person just declines saying “Cannot do this time.”

Uh, well, be a little more helpful? Throw a couple of suggestions out there? Stand still while I smash my laptop over your head?

7 Likes

Also don’t be this guy:

Send out meeting notices with less than 24 hour notice after work hours.

5 Likes