This Might be Mike Gundy's Best Coaching Job Yet

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/this-might-be-mike-gundys-best-coaching-job-yet/

Gundy’s 5-0 Pokes are getting it done on … defense.

1 Like

Along with last year. If he finishes this year with 9 or 10 wins.
We will be seeing better dual qb and running games. Texas tcu isu. Better passing teams ou and tech isu.
Seasons not over, it’s still how much can Sanders give us.

1 Like

With the Hubbard deal( thanks) and 5 oline down last year could have go egg shaped fast. U look at what these guys have been through and look at the locker room after bosie, u know the are beside gundy.

1 Like

That is an interesting perspective. I agree head coaches get credit and blame and Gundy deserves credit for hiring Jim Knowles. Watching him develop players on defense the past few years has been a joy. Makes me wonder how a Mason Rudolph teams would have benefitted from having Knowles as a DC. I certainly think Spencer Sanders is delighted to have him.

Hope Gundy is looking for another veteran to replace him because JK will be a hot commodity this off season. Hope JK can be retained because oSu needs a defense like he has provided to compete for championships.

3 Likes

I’ve talked to friends that still have issues with all things Gundy, but I pointed out you can’t “Forrest Gump” your way to a record of 142-67 at a place like Oklahoma State without some degree of coaching ability!

He certainly knows what this team must do to have a chance to win and with very real limitations has found a way to get it done. As the schedule toughens we’ll see if he can wring some more success from these Cowboys!

4 Likes

He hasn’t finished this recuriting class. Has benefited with alot of depth last 2 years. I do not see him being here next year. We will field a good team. With out transfer it wouldn’t be as deep. He knows that and will be gone.

Maybe pump the brakes a little bit…6-6 is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Consider our road games: Texas, Iowa State, West Virginia and Texas Tech. Then look at our home games: Kansas, TCU and OU.

Kansas is a win. TCU, Tech and W.Va. I expect to be near “pick 'em” point spreads. We’ll be dogs to Texas, Iowa State and OU.

Hey, we may win 'em all and I hope we do! Our defense is REALLY good!

2 Likes

U are rite. This is still the same team picked 5th by most sites. That was before all of r injuries.

1 Like

I’m glad the team is 5-0, but can we please be better than 9th in scoring in the Big 12? I would be happy with being 5th in scoring at least.

1 Like

If u only do big 12 games we r 5th.

1 Like

Too bad they don’t include Big 12 games only.

It’s not to bad since we are only playing big 12 games here on out.

1 Like

Non-conference games are designed to be a measuring stick for how a team might do in conference. So far, both sides have stayed true to themselves in both portions.

Non con gives us warm up games and tells how the con will do against other con.
Take tcu against its fcs game. By that game we would say both the defense and offense is good. But the have held anybody under 32 points.
Looking at scoring totals really tell us anything can Texas even score 70 against Kansas. Does that matter when they play wv, isu or us.

1 Like

I don’t buy it. I’ve read too many posts saying Gundy can’t coach. Sure, his program is one of only 10 that won 100 games over the last decade, but anyone can see he’s the worst coach on that list. Don’t be distracted. He cut his mullet to keep people from noticing that he’s only winning games because his opponents aren’t able to score more points than his team. It’s all smoke and mirrors. If Charlie Strong had hair, he could have grown a mullet and done the same thing at Texas. Gundy needs to go. Maybe some school will be fooled into thinking he’s done a great job and will hire him away.

1 Like

So the mullet would have won at Texas. Sounds like ur doing a double take. Just like ever (3)school can go to 16 straight bowls but they choice not to.

1 Like

We’ve played two conference games and they are the bottom half of conference and needed our defense in both to win. This is what blogging is all about tho, throw out chit and give somebody something to talk about. We will see if this defense can win every game from here on out because the offense is crap. We will see if the defense can win us the rest of games and get us to the championship game.

2 Likes

So Is it bad gundy has a good defense?

1 Like

It’s not bad Gundy has a good defense. We just figured since Gundy’s specialty has been offense pretty much his entire career you would think this offense could score over 30 points a game. I guess we were all wrong about his offensive coaching.

1 Like

U final admitt it ur wrong.

1 Like