This Might be Mike Gundy's Best Coaching Job Yet

Yea we were one of the unlucky ones with the Baylor lol

1 Like

Are you giving Gundy credit for the Holgerson hire or should the credit go to TBP & Holder?

1 Like

It’s well known about gundy not having an oc his first year. So dana wasn’t the first oc. He was a oc for the one year. But making a big deal out of any coach anywhere for a 1 year stint is pushing the importance.
Holder did put pressure on him to hire a oc. Unless u have more info that says tbp or holder hired Dana personally. Gundy still had the base plays and the players.

1 Like

Lol go show him how to be reliable joe joe

1 Like

We know u are reliable. Always crying

1 Like

Gundy had Fedora. Fedora left and Gundy took over play calling. IMO Gundy got his job saved when Holder and Pickens forced Gundy to hire an OC. I don’t think Gundy is the oSu coach today without the Holgerson hire. I don’t think oSu has same the level of success in 2010-2012 using the current offense.

The immediate success was possible IMO because the system Holgerson brought was productive and developed utilizing talent that could be recruited to Texas Tech. The o line became more effective because of the system spreading out defenses and getting the ball to players in space quickly. Zero doubt in my mind Pressley has more touches this year and Jelani Woods in previous years in Holgy’s offense. oSu has gone from taking what the defense gives to establishing the run regardless of how many defenders are in the box.

1 Like

I hear this alot. If I was just looking at stats and results I would go with u 100%.
First only a true air raid doesn’t worry about establishing the run. Even riley is talking about there problems being not establishing the run.
We never ran a true air raid attack.
Yes those guys u mentioned would have more catches just by the fact we were able to throw more.
Dana was here 1 year. What about monken. Alot say he is the reason.
More to the point is weeden. We had players that knew the plays, and weeden got the ball out fast.
I know there will be people coming on here a saying chit about corndog. But in 2018 we threw for 4000 yards.
Sanders has been the main reason for the drop to the most part. These massive player injuries do not help.
Sander still can hit the open recievers. When u have players in the same spot or no players in a spot, it means their not on the same page. Last thing any coach wants is a bunch of new guys running around on the field.
I have heard about oc and oline coach from here to infinity. Maybe ur rite. Maybe a guy like Dana could fix this. Even tho he has has plenty of offensive troubles away from osu. Monken qb just 2 weeks ago threw 11 passes. One other point I will leave u with, the front 4 has improvered alot in the last 10 years in the big 12

1 Like

BW spent 3+ years at oSu and spent 1 year under Holgy. He became electric from day 1 under Holgerson. Compare that to SS going into his 5th year and second year of Gundy claiming “making great strides” going into the season and not seeing that realize during the season. Sanders looks like what is being asked to do is not within his comfort zone and I think that is problematic. My concerns are what plays can the current players execute best, when to call what plays, and what plays are set up future plays for critical moments is where I see the drop off. Numbers aren’t the main concern and TC is a great analogy. TC he had 4K yards passing, but in a 6-6 season where TW lead the country in contested catches. Getting passing yards as a result of being in third and long isn’t great IMO. Either is coming out flat and getting behind in games.

Can’t think of a single oSu QB since Weeden that would be more productive in the current offense. OU currently has what oSu used to have on offense and 100% why they were able to come back and win this weekend. OU, UT, and ATM all got great play this weekend from back up QBs with less experience combined than oSu’s back up.

Never will understand the defending of a top 5 offense morphing into a top 50 offense, and now sitting at 9th in the Big 12. Thinking oSu is a couple O line recruits from controlling the line of scrimmage is wishful thinking IMO.

1 Like

I like how ur thinking ignore everything that’s relevant.
So tc. We had 4 losses of less then 7 points, with the 95th defense. Ur spot on it was the offenses fault.
Yes Sanders is as good as weeden. It’s just gundy has chosen to limit the offense not having Dana.
Sure Dana and weeden would have won more games with the 2018 defense and the 2019 oline.
I’m glad u were hear to straighten all this out. I’ve been and idiot thinking it wasn’t gundy.
What I fine the most amazing thing is u could actually rite this with a straight face.

1 Like

I do find it funny that your points highlight the fact Gundy should have replaced the DC coordinator earlier. Yet he waited so long JK inherited a defense that took 2 seasons to rebuild. Thank goodness he came to oSu with a plan and has been successful in making that plan work. Certainly makes things easier on any oSu QB.

What’s next? Are you going to tell me how good it has been not having a full time special teams coach?

1 Like

I do love how everyone talks about a special teams coach. We are not the only team with out one. And do just as good with out one.
The 2018 was the worst defense we have ever had.
More had to do with Knowles not getting goes on board. The depth of this defense has nothing to do with Knowles. I would love to seen spencer having this depth. If Knowles is here next year I would like to see what he will do with less depth. Numbers will be going up now we will face more offensive power.
My sarcasm proved to u we need a new oc. The offense will be better. Their getting guys bake and playing the same guys. It won’t hurt we only got 2 top 5 big 12 defenses left. It’s still down to Sanders making plays. The other players do need to help.
I can u choose to ignore everything. We are 5 and 0. I do not see a new hc or oc. Anytime soon. I know Knowles having this depth is trying to parlay this into a bigger job. We have 5 recruits. So a new DC will come sooner.

If u want to blame gundy then do it about recruiting.
We have no recievers, no rb and 1 lineman in the 2 deep that are upper classmen.
Sanders and ty Williams are the only to upper classmen on the offensive side of the ball.
Yes we have 4 transfers. That’s still just 6, only 5 starting.

1 Like