Three Burning Question ahead of Oklahoma State's Matchup against TCU

Originally published at: Three Burning Question ahead of Oklahoma State's Matchup against TCU | Pistols Firing

Can the Cowboys slow down TCU?

1 Like

Jabbar Muhamud is coming along fine. If Korie Black is not at full running speed, that spells trouble. They obviously are going to try to beat us with the deep ball. Like Gundy said, each game is going to be a dog fight. Doesn’t matter who we are playing.
One of these seasons we hopefully will have a healthy and experienced offense along with a healthy and experienced defense. When that happens, it will be very difficult to beat that kind of Cowboy team. That is when we go to the playoffs.

2 Likes

The biggest thing for me is health. If everyone’s good to go, I feel good - if Preston Wilson or any of the defensive players are out I’m nervous. Just gotta survive the first half without Kendal Daniels

1 Like

The problem with teams throwing the deep ball against this secondary is that even if they don’t connect, it’s often almost a guaranteed 15 yards/1st down due to pass interference penalties. That is my least-favorite thing about college football - all the flags thrown for PI. You can put 'em behind the sticks on 1st and 2nd down and then get blown up by an easy PI call. Although it was annoying for every other pass to be officially reviewed last week, it was refreshing that the refs let 'em play for the most part.

2 Likes

Let’s just try to have our DBs within 8 yards of the line on 3rd downs

3 Likes

This is on the coaching staff to work with the players to get the head turned around.

2 Likes

For as many pass this secondary has faced we have hardly any flags.

We do need better play from the safety deep

1 Like

Horned Frogs have gone from averaging 28.7 points per game last year to leading the Big 12 at 46.4 through five games.

To put this in context. Through 5 games last year TT averaged 39.4 points per game. They finished the year with an average of 26.9 points per game. Their 46.4 average so far this year will go down as they play some of the better D’s in conference. Plus their average is skewed because they played OU already, which has no D. LOL

3 Likes

I don’t see it as a glaring problem with this particular team. It’s a reality for almost every team in college football. Cornerbacks face-guard instead of ball guard… that’s just the way it is at the amateur level. Coaching is vital, of course, but I think the biggest issue with the secondary right now is lack of experience, not coaching. The point I was trying to make is that Pass Interference penalties are a very effective way of neutralizing a defense, and since TCU likes to throw downfield so often, I see it as being a potential problem.

My Five Burning Questions are:

1. Can the O-line run block effectively and protect Sanders in the pocket and give him time to pick apart the TCU secondary
  2. Can the oSu receivers catch the ball consistently and avoid drops, keeping the chains moving.
  3. Will the Cowboys play injury-free to key players, keeping them on the field the entire game?
  4. Will the D-line contain Duggan and prevent him from making key 1st downs with his legs?
  5. Can the Cowboys contain #11 on special teams?
1 Like

I dnt think tcu is as physical as tech or baylor. We will run.

Drop passes and fumbles.

Yrs injuries are always serious. They are all ready hurt.

The lb will have to fill gaps on all rushing.

Not would about special teams.

1 Like

The defense just needs to get off the field. They will hit some plays just keep them at a minimum. I think we will run the ball and when we do it’s going to open up our playmakers. Go with the hot hand, whoever is hot. Special teams we have been good all year. Maybe have a couple of trick plays. I think JT has a big day

1 Like

Exactly. We know who we are. Dnt worry about a couple of plays. Just do what we do good.

1 Like

What about WV going toe to toe with Baylor :flushed:
Good game so far…… WV has lost some ugly games haven’t they ?

1 Like

3rd down defense- OSU 11th, TCU 81st

Fewest Penalites- OSU 3rd, TCU 14th

Passing Defense- OSU 126th, TCU 110th

Rush Defense- OSU 34th, TCU 54th

Redzone Defense- OSU 101st, TCU 59th

Turnover Margin- OSU 56th, TCU 25th

1 Like

It still boils down to who tcuhas played

1 Like

Baylor just went down Need joy here to ask him why Aranda is 0-3 against WV :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Turnover margin : is that turnovers or turnovers caused ?

1 Like

I do miss joy. The stupid chit she could say.

Im amazed @ar1 aka jug still cones on. We still have @jeff38 and he is funny

1 Like

Joy was entertaining wasn’t he all the stupid ideas and the novels he would write no one read :roll_eyes: jug and jeffy are just hoping we get a loss to say I told you so… beat TCU Saturday and we are in the drivers seat. I think we will if we jump on them early.

1 Like