Three Burning Questions Ahead of Oklahoma State's Week 3 Matchup with Arkansas Pine Bluff

Key word here is “anymore”. At one point in time they were. They didn’t get to that status by not winning conference titles, major bowl games, or national titles over a 20 to 30 year time frame.

1 Like

Your the one thats lieing. Gundy dnt want to 1 game deals he want home and home. So youscared to play alabama. Your the only one say you dnt want to

Eh… that’s part of it, but tell that to Texas and USC. They still get love from pollsters. They still get 4 and 5 star players. They still get great television slots.

Nebraska doesn’t win period. They haven’t beaten any one consequential in a long time. We win lots of games. We regularly beat ranked opponents. We just won a NY6 and beat a traditional blueblood. We’re making progress.

2 Likes

If we have to or need to play Alabama then so be it. I respect that more than playing APB. It sounds as if you don’t want it to happen. What’s wrong? Afraid Gundy’s winning percentage would take a hit?

1 Like

Tell me how many times we’ve won an NY6 bowl, won a conference title , or beaten a BB between 2011 and 2021? That might be progress from 1946-2011, but how much progress is it in today’s time?

We’ve won more recently than your 20-30 year timeframe. We’ve won 2 NY6s in your 20-30 year timeframe.

1 Like

So Ohio State, ND, Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, LSU, Michigan, Penn State, USC, and Nebraska all became BB schools in 20-30 years with one conference title and two major bowl wins?

Thirty years before Bob Devaney took over at Nebraska they had 18 losing seasons, 1 .500 season, and 11 winning seasons. From 1962-1972 Devaney only lost 20 games, won 8 conference titles, and won 2 national titles. That marker in Nebraska football would continue for nearly the next 40 years.

Every time I hear you guys use history to make excuses for Gundy based on geography and the forty to fifty years of OSU sucking just remember it can be done.

You generally become a blueblood by having a huge following and winning big all the time. Yeah, it can happen. Clemson has more or less gotten there. But…

1.) Clemson is the one modern example.
2.) Every school is trying to get there including Nebraska. There have been of hundreds of coaches come and go in P5 football in the last 20 years and only one school has succeeded. Many more, like Nebraska and Texas, continue to go backwards with their constant resets. Maybe Texas has figured it out, but I need to see more than one game.
3.) Today’s game is not Devaney’s Nebraska. The television factor. Way more money. The playoffs. NIL. Portal. Devaney couldn’t do it today.
4.) It’s bigger than the coach. The admin, the boosters, it’s all got to be good. If the coach is lousy, he can bring the program down, sure, but you need to be generationally good to vault into that kind of status and that’s with the buyin from administration and the boosters. Even Nick Saban’s not going to turn a program around without that.

Too major issue i have. Clemson did have a natty. A large fan base. They have a huge stadium. I would not say they came out of no where. Its a lot like devaney rise. A bad league made Clemson.

Devaney had a easy go. While at nu
Iowa had no winning season
Isu had 2
Ksu 1
Ku 3

Local kids filled most school in those days.

Big12 was 27 winning season out of 70.

In any 10 year span on the big 12 would be more competion more to 50%

Tell me how you become a blue blood when you can’t win the conference?

1 Like

Whi said anything about being a bb. With oklahoma in the same state it wont happen.

Did we have NIL and the portal between 2005-2015?

What does that have to do with a coach from the 60’s you really have lost it. They had nil in the 60’s lol just called it different

And now Gundy is about to be in a conference with no Bedam to worry about and no fear of a Texas resurgence. The difference between Gundy and Devaney is that Devaney could beat BB schools (beat LSU and Alabama for national titles). He also didn’t go 2-9 in his first eleven seasons against OU. He went 5-6.

Gundy never had no recruiting competition for 500 miles radius. Or was able to pay to play. But yea your still the top guru of the stooges

So you think Devaney went 9-2 in his first season with really good players? Even though the team previous to his arrival went 14-25-1 from 1958-1961? Gundy inherited a team that went 28-21 from 2001-2004 and still found a way to go 4-7 in his first season.

1 Like

The 61 team beat one team with a winning record. 62 team beat 1 team with a winning record in regular season. So yea i see the difference

So what about the rest of the seasons then?

What are you talking about. Sure they beat 1 more winning team in the bowl. So beating 2 winning teams and getting 9 wins is exciting. Come on dude grow up. He faced 4 teams with winning records.even you can see it wasnt tuff schedule. He faced 5 teams in the big 8 that combined only had winning records. Those 5 teams had 10 winning records in 10 years. Even with the other 2 teams they didnt even average 3 winning team a year
Im not saying he was a bad coach but there was no competition.

No, we’re talking about right now. You’re talking about a different world.

1 Like