Three Early Potential Candidates for OSU's Vacant Defensive Coordinator Spot

I have no idea I hope it’s not to bad

But if we take away his guitar he should be able to focus better on football.

4 Likes

LOL

I’m assuming that knowels’s contract did not read that you can leave for any promotional job but not a lateral job?

What about SDSU’s Defensive coordinator Kurt Mattix? He has produced two top 15 defenses in his first two seasons as the DC with SDSU. He is a newer coach, but other than that he has shown his ability to coach up a defense.

1 Like

Get SDSU DC! That’d be the best hire!

I was being sarcastic, some of these other people don’t realize if we can’t afford Knowles then we definitely can’t afford Patterson if he was alright being a D.C. I’m guessing they look for someone cheap that is familiar with the 4-2-5

1 Like

Patterson would understand the limited pay.
If he came it’s to prove himself.
He still would be a big name to land.

1 Like

I don’t think we can afford him tbh.

The only benefit I see with Patterson would probably be in recruiting. I think with him you could get some really good defensive players out of the Dallas-Fort Worth area. He’s 61 years old though. I don’t see him coaching anywhere else. I think he’s probably done coaching. I could be wrong though.

If he proves himself, he’s gone in a year or two. Not the continuity OSU should be looking for.

2 Likes

Yes he wouldn’t be here long.
His defense took a pounding. Because, he spent more resources on the offense.
He is 61. If he came in and got us thur 3 or 4 seasons and developed an heir apparent.
Knowles couldn’t land very many recruits.
If he could help us continue it.
I know it’s a pipe dream deal. But in my head it makes sense :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::hugs::hugs::hugs::innocent::innocent::innocent::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I guess it depends on what you can tolerate. Do you possibly want the defensive version of Kasey Dunn? Or do you want a guy that’s proved his worth at a G5 school?

Not saying Joe Bob would be that version. Just saying I don’t think he’s ever been a coordinator before. As we’ve seen from the offense this season and last. A position coach isn’t always cut out to be a coordinator.

1 Like

Do not hire from within. We already have a garbage offense we don’t need a garbage defense to go with it.

2 Likes

I was being sarcastic again

1 Like

I know.

If we have both of those is there any chance Gundy gets put on a hot seat?

1 Like

I’ll answer for Logan, sure the hotseat isn’t something that Gundy is immune from. However I really think that Gundy getting on the hot seat and resulting in him getting fired has a low chance of happening. If Gundy gets on the hot seat and the pressure starts getting under his skin he will just retire. He is close enough to that point now he could just decide to give coaching up whenever he wants and I have no doubts that he will pull the trigger on that option when things cease to be fun.

Bonus question: if next years defense turns out to be crap who’s fault is that? Part of the answer is whoever decides how much we offer to pay our now former DC. That’s certainly not Gundy’s call

1 Like

I guess it better be someone at least better than the current OC Gundy hired. I think we blew it when we didn’t investigate this. We were warned in January. Now this guy is headed to TCU.

Yea it’s hard to say that we blew it with the TU guy as we are only a couple of days removed from Knowles and who knows how long the Gillespie to TCU deal has been in the works.