Three Early Potential Candidates for OSU's Vacant Defensive Coordinator Spot

Because Knowles interviewed with Illinois. Also, someone on this forum mentioned that after Knowles interview we were foolish to believe he would stay. That guy was right. This article came out in February 2021.

This is straight out of the article

“ Paying $5 million to Gundy and $800,000 to an assistant coach really stresses Oklahoma State, and yet two Cowboy assistants — Knowles and offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn — are at $800,000.

If Knowles gets, for example, a $1.2 million offer from Illinois, I would be shocked if Oklahoma State would counter by matching or surpassing that amount. I would bet $1.2 million that it wouldn’t happen, which could lead to Gundy-Gillespie dialogue.”

The guy being paid the most for the football program is the same guy that consistently proves to us he’s not ready for championship football.

Gundy saying “The Green Bay Packers could come and offer him 3 mil” tells me he knew there was a pretty good chance he was going to be poached.

So I guess we don’t have any kind of backup plan in place when things like this happen? Gundy should’ve known by mid-October that his DC was going to get poached. Especially when he’s already interviewing for other jobs.

Maybe TCU has been talking to Gillespie since October. I don’t know for sure, but it seems like we are pretty slow from a strategic standpoint when it comes to replacing a coordinator.

If you want championship football you better find ways to pay good assistants. The one thing Gundy has proven is that he can win a championship when he has really good assistants. Because I can promise you it’s not his offensive philosophy and coaching that’s going to win one.

I pray that OSU’s budget increases exponentially in the future!!! Then when we’re sitting at 8-5 or 9-4 while other teams are playing each other for a conference title, I will get to see what the next excuse might be.

1 Like

Zero chance Gundy is on the hot seat because zero expectations. Nothing expected, nothing achieved.

1 Like

Well i guess it would be beneficial for Gundy to spend part of his days considering replacements for Knowles since the Illinois article came out almost a year ago now. And who is to say that he hasn’t? Even if he had a short list of candidates he really can’t have serious talks with any of them before Knowles has announced that he is leaving. Now that that has happened he can have those serious discussions/negotiations along with Weiberg and Shrum. And don’t think these negotiations will happen in a day, they can take some time but of course you know that but ignore that little fact. As far as the money offered goes you need to remove Gundy from the conversation because that isn’t something that he has control of so just stop bringing it up unless you want to question Weiberg’s and Shrum’s competency.

Your talking nonsense and you know it. There is zero chance that there are zero expectations on Gundy.

2 Likes

I like it

Agreed

Scott Symons seems like he would be a great hire,he’s turned around a liberty defense younger,so could relate to the players,& they say he’s a good recruiter,all good check marks,plus Gundy usually goes for the smaller school guys then turns them into superstars

1 Like

Joe u need to stop writing long letters on here everybody knows u know nothing.
Look on this Knowles deal the person to be mad to is Knowles. Obviously Knowles doesn’t like stillwater. Not the first time. Our last oc said the same.
If u can’t get grown adults to come and stay how are they going to recruit.
Keep show that love for Knowles. On Jan 2 when he takes r top defense players u will see what that signing bonus was for.

1 Like

"they dont need to be cheap, probably why Knowles left"…Hey chief, he left to go to one of the most storied programs in college football history that recruits NFL players and is competing for National Championships year in and out. Even if the Cowboys matched the pay dollar for dollar, leaving for tOSU is a no-brainer.

2 Likes

At least Knowles won’t take as many guys as riley.
First we only have 5 d recruits. But, I’m sure Oliver is gone. With a couple of others.

2 Likes

What are the expectations? How far down would the program have to go before these so called expectations would kick in? I think we can safely say that if he never wins a second conference title it won’t keep him from getting contract extensions. With as weak of a non-conference schedule as we had the last 7 years and how weak the bottom of the conference has been, how could a loosing record be a expectation? Maybe if the attendance dropped below the basketball attendance, but how bad would it have to be for that to happen?

1 Like

If they matched he’d at least have a decision on his hands to make. Still a good chance he leaves but the university didn’t give themselves a chance.

2 Likes

The common practice amongst the Bill Snyder/Bob Stoops/Brent Venables tree is that coaches have to do whats best for their families. So if they choose to leave/go with a guy, thats completely fine. But you do not recruit guys that are committed to the school you are leaving. There is a player in KS named Jaren Kanak. Listed as an athlete whom Venables recruited to Clemson as a LB. He verbally committed to Brent/Clemson in Nov. He said he has not heard from Brent. Dabo was quoted as saying that he had complete trust in how Venables would handle the recruits during this transition. That shows the different cloth from which Riley and Venables are cut. I hesitate to dump too much on Riley now that hes gone because it can easily sound like sour grapes from an OU guy. But you cannot argue that Riley seems to have some character flaws

3 Likes

Agreed. I think its not even a decision to be made, honestly.

You’re right. As long as we get to 6-6 that’s all that matters. Who do think we should aspire to be like? Purdue?

I know it’s difficult for you to comprehend, and probably takes the better part of your day to read it, but just because that’s a problem for you doesn’t mean it’s a problem for everyone else. All I can say is brush up on your reading skills.

I want our budget to increase quite a bit… I just want to see what the excuse will be when we’re not doing any better. Gundy said if we want better recruits we need a bigger recruiting budget as well. He also said we need more competitive salary for assistants. Go ahead and give the man what he’s asking for!!! Maybe if we give more money to football we can actually get a playbook that works when our starting HB goes down and maybe our QB won’t throw as many picks.

What are the expectations? How far down would the program have to go before these so called expectations would kick in?” Well only Weiburg and Shurm can answer the question definitively and I doubt even they have specific criteria. I would say that the criteria that defines when a coach needs to be fired is always very fluid and changes with the times. I will say that any coach, including Gundy, that strings along 2-3 losing seasons and/or fails to go to bowl games would be on the list to be let go. I don’t see anyone in the sport looking at a coaches past 15 years of performance to make a decision, it’s usually a case of what have you done for me lately. Case in point is Jim Harbaugh after the last few seasons at Michigan he was on his way out for sure. Many were saying that If he didn’t do something special this year he was gone. Well now he is in the CFP so that will function as a reset for him and all the past bad years will be forgotten. He is probably good to go until he starts to put together another 2-3 year string of losing seasons. The same applies to Gundy, this year he got the team to the B12 champ and contended for the CFP. That is his reset although he really didn’t need it so he is probably good to go for another 2-3 years as well. Of course there are lots of ways to get fired most of which none of us can have a clue about so it could still happen to him in any year

I think that if Gundy went 6-6 for a couple of seasons he would start to get pressure to leave. I can’t really know but I think the low water mark is 3-4 losses and going to a bowl.

Feel free to dump on Riley all you want, he is a slimy snake and deserves it.

1 Like