Thunder thread

…Brook Lopez? :upside_down_face:

:joy::joy: see there lies the problem. That finals would be fun to watch though!!

If we’re talking the Clippers, Khris Middleton can hold his own against Paul George.

That’s certainly a better matchup for them yes. But doing it against the same guys 4 out of 7 times. I’m going to take Paul George over Middleton. Plus the clippers have Lou Williams as well coming off their bench.

They are even offensively, but Paul George is much better defensively.

OKC thunder up to #11 on ESPN’s power rankings. That’s pretty incredible given the general feeling toward OKC at the beginning of the year.

1 Like

I know we already touched on this, but it’s going to be really intriguing what the Thunder decide to do, if they can continue to win more than they lose.

Personally…I say fire sale, get more picks, start building next season.

This week will be a tough week for sure. It will tell us about this team and where they’re at right now with playing Philly, Brooklyn (trash but away), Houston and LA this week. Win 2 of 4 this week and we’re good!

I don’t see a fire sale working for this team. CP3 won’t be moved most likely and there’s just too much work to be done to shell off a lot of the valuable assets. Plus we have 347627738 picks already. Adding another for Gallo would be plenty for now. The Thunder won’t do things just to make deals like we thought earlier this year. They’ll have to believe they are “winning”. Also making the playoffs this year isn’t bad, it’s the following years we’d like to have lower picks. Especially 2022 with the “double draft”.

Maybe not CP3, but Gallo could be moved…maybe Schroeder…maybe some others (Noel?).

Just get a bunch of rookies and let’s try the KD-Russ-Harden project again, WITHOUT trading any of them.

Gallo I agree is going to be moved and we’ll get a first rounder which is great. Hopefully it’s not a first rounder from LA :joy: I don’t think Schroeder moves. Which I’ve said before is very very strange to me but there’s just no buzz about him among NBA GM’s apparently. Noel is I think a part of the Thunder’s future plans. They love him and in a couple years he may be the guy and they may let Adams walk. Plus he’s only 25.

The problem with the “Just get a bunch of rookies like KD russ and Harden” is those three were top picks and NOBODY expected Russ and Harden to be what they are now. The draft is more or less a crap shoot outside of the 1-3 pick. I think with SGA and the talent we have now we aren’t touching that bad of a record yet and I don’t think the front office really wants to. Now I do believe that Presti can package our 15 picks together and end up with 2-3 top picks and maybe a player or two without actually tearing down to the ground and end up back in the title conversation.

I know it’s been a few days, but there’s no shock here, concerning the fact that the Thunder’s winning streak was broke by a Lakers team without Lebron and AD playing. Of COURSE they let Kuzma go crazy.

It seems only you and I are the ones interested in the Thunder Chimp :joy:

I was actually at the game Saturday. The team from the starting lineups just looked flat and tired. I’d expect something closer to the Houston game than LA tonight. We couldn’t buy a bucket Saturday.

1 Like

Fastest to a triple double with 20 rebounds!!! Is it too early to sign SGA to a life contract? /s

Truly though, it looks like we’ve gotta keep CP3 so long as we have young players. The young players look night and day with him present vs before he was here.

Been looking at mock drafts for a week or so. I’ve talked myself into trading the Nuggets pick and our pick if it’s mid teens and hopefully getting around the 10th pick back.

…or throwing in some future picks and getting into the top 5…

1 Like

Honest question, because you seem a little more in tune to this than I am…

Let’s say the team decides to go all in for the playoffs. What if they were to trade for a Karl Anthony Towns-type of guy? Is that cuckoo territory, or is it plausible? Do we have the resources to do it? I honestly think a guy like him could put us into contention with the Clippers or Lakers.

This is where I stand: if there is that one guy available, who could put us over the top, then do it. Go for it. Because I think one guy, at this point, could do it.

On the other hand, if they’re not going to do that, then do a fire sale. Because what’s the point of getting to the playoffs if your goal is to maybe win one or two games?

The Thunder are in a really interesting position.

@ScottCorken, it appears you’re putting together a response, but I’m going to post again while you do so…

So here’s my wishlist of guys to trade for. Most of them are too crazy and probably wouldn’t happen. My criteria was basically a small forward or power forward, maybe shooting guard, from teams not currently eligible for the playoffs (and this is only the Western Conference):

San Antonio: Lamarcus Aldridge
Phoenix: Oubre
Minnesota: Towns (or possibly Wiggins, despite the criticisms, he can be really good in the right situation)
Sacramento: Barnes (or possibly Ariza, given his time with CP3)
New Orleans: Okafor (big maybe on that one, still young, but hasn’t shown his full potential for different reasons)
Golden State: Russell (yeeeeeesssss pleeeeeaaaasssseeee)

Didn’t see anyone for Portland that looks good.

You’re very right that the Thunder are in a very interesting position. I think the closer we get to the trade deadline the more we will know. That’s a horrible answer, but let’s take a closer look at this with some scenarios like what you said.

The Thunder have about half a month before the trade deadline and 10 games in that span. I would say 7 of those 10 OKC is favored so we will go with that number. That puts them at 30-20 at the deadline. Which at this point last year that record would land you somewhere between 3-5 in the west. In that case, the Thunder could find themselves as buyers. The problem then becomes who could the Thunder get who would actually matter. KAT would be a massive contract to take and OKC owners want to be under the tax already. However he is under contract until 2024 so it may be worth the risk as he can’t take off in a year. Getting KAT or really any other player of value is going to cost Gallo and at least one pick. Presti loves assets but that talent may be one to pull the trigger on. Could a starting lineup of CP3, SGA, Ferguson, KAT and Adams with Schroeder and Noel on the bench contend? They could certainly make a run and be a scary team. Insert any other guy like Brandon Ingram or whoever for KAT in this instance. It could happen.

Now on the flip side, which is more realistic in my opinion is that they get to the deadline and Gallo is traded for another first round pick. Giving 16 first rounders over the next 7 years. They take the current team minus Gallo to the playoffs, maybe shock someone and make the second round. It’s a feel good story for the year just like Russel’s scorched earth season that buys Presti time. I firmly believe more and more that CP3 will be here until his contract is up. That sets up for an offseason next season to be the big one. Roberson’s contract will be gone as he’ll most likely retire. I could see us packaging some picks and making a move for a prime player then or moving up in drafts.

Hopefully all that made sense. I got distracted like 5 times during typing this out at work. It’s going to come down to what happens in this next 10 games. If they stay strong, we could be buyers, if they fade it could go south very quick.

1 Like

I’ll come back to these here in a bit and see what is plausible for each. The NBA is kind of my thing so this is super enjoyable :joy:

1 Like

Here is my Eastern Conference wishlist (again, teams are currently not in the playoffs):

Charlotte: Batum
Chicago: Lavine (insane but he would be amazing)
Washington: Bertans (flexible big guy)
Cleveland: Love (probably not possible)
New York: Randle (Bobby Portis is probably more realistic)
Atlanta: Crabbe (closet fan of Crabbe, looked great when he played for the Nets, could be another “needs a better situation” guy)

No one from the Pistons.