Two Inches and a Gut Punch: Putting a Big 12 Heartbreaker in Perspective

Yep!!! And the reason for us is a coach that’s afraid to win championships and afraid to make any changes when the game is going south.

Hawaii’s leading rusher just entered the transfer portal (6.4 ypc) and will only be a sophomore next season. Could go after him.

Crazy Roberto and “other coachafobic” fans on here still think Gundy is the best coach we can get and that just another winning season is fine without winning anything meaningful. Let me tell you guys that when you win meaningful games the university gets paid and also the conference. Tired of hearing gundy stick up for his quarterback that absolutely can’t keep from throwing the ball to the other team and makes the defense try to dig the offense out of a hole every game while telling his players that he is not disappointed at all with them and how good they did and how proud they should be! Crazy talk! Soft talk! If I got c’s on my report card and my parents told me what gundy says to his players guess what…I’m getting c’s for the rest of the year! This guy is like Mary Poppins of college football. Always next year LOL.

Gundy has showed everybody for 16 years how high his ceiling is.

1 Like

So now bedlam is meaningless. U want a banner he got u one. We won 11 games so far
New years bowl. Title game
These are all thing u were crying for. Only a moron like jug can be nurse u and Joey. It’s one thing to ask for something then get 90 % and still feel rejected.
What I love about u guys. U hear everyone tell u these things and not once do u stop and say hey they are rite.
Are u stupid or stubborn. It’s one of the 2.

Jeff and Joey sound more like closet Sooner fans. Anything short of Gundy winning the National Championship and they would have found something to complain about. Heck, they might have still complained if we won the National Championship if it wasn’t by enough points. Gundy has a top 10 college football team. I’m proud of the coaches and players for what they have accomplished this season. Beating OU this year was fun to see. Winning 11, possibly 12 games this year is remarkable. Pick the top 10 seasons in OSU history and Gundy has his hand in at least 7 of them, maybe 8. With Gundy, Weiberg, and Shrum leading the way the football program will continue to have success.

2 Likes

I don’t think the responsibility of losing the Big 12 championship is on one individual. Gundy could have coached a better game. The offensive line could have blocked better, Spencer could have protected the ball better, the Offensive Coordinator could have called a better game, and the defense could have found ways to keep their quarterback from throwing 17 straight completions in the first half. The last person anyone should blame is the running back on the last play of the game. He gave effort and certainly tried to punch it in.

1 Like

After stepping back if we’re being honest did anyone really expect us to be in this position after week 3? We really weren’t that great of a team, we had a great defense but a very limited offense lead by a turnover prone QB. With that being said I would’ve liked for us to find a way to win because we somehow found ourselves in a position to win and I think we’re better than Baylor. I guess my point is if I think back to the beginning of the year and you told me we would be playing for the Big 12 championship I would’ve said you’re crazy because Sanders has never shown any indication of being that guy or shown any progress and the rest of our offense was young an unproven. At the end of the day that was true and what happened, it just took 13 weeks for it to finally show up because our defense was so much better than expected.

1 Like

You see I’m in a different winning mentality than you pat and Roberto. We have reached winning seasons and winning two bedlam games in 16 years and two New York games I know this. Now it’s time to get to the next level which is trying to get in the playoff because we all know that we can’t beat ou enough to get to that level so we will skip that one. You see the way I see it is why play the game if you dont want to win it all and be the champ in any sport? That’s why football is a sport because you can win it in the end. Now you and Robert0 think just being a good team but not great team is a good thing. And that’s ok that’s just the way you guys feel as a fan but AD’s can’t and shouldn’t think that way. You can always improve on anything you do you just can’t idle.

1 Like

OSU has actually beat OU 3 times in the past 11 seasons. So there is your first incorrect statement. I can promise you the Oklahoma State coaches and players want to win every game way more than you do.

I think when you have a team that is a top 10 team in the nation you don’t act like the coach stinks and we should find someone else. Who we going to hire? Let me guess Saban probably wants the job. Harbaugh? Smart? Maybe Day will take the job :rofl:. I’ve wanted Oklahoma State football to win every single game for the 25 years I’ve watched them play, but not having realistic expectations as a fanbase can be detrimental to the pursuit of future success. Ask Texas. Ask Nebraska. I also believe stability is important especially in this age of the transfer portal and NIL.

As an Oklahoma State alumnus I want to see the football team be their very best. I want Oklahoma State football competing for National Championships. I want us competing for National Championships in all sports. Gundy has shown and continues to show he gives us the opportunity to remain competitive at the highest level.

Proud and immortal, bright shines your name; Oklahoma State, we herald your fame! Ever you’ll find us, loyal and true; To our Alma Mater, O-S-U!

1 Like

Well jeffy I guess u never played sports. I know of no one who wins every time. U literally have said no one should be playing.
So I would have to say go to a doctor quickly ur insane.

“Gundy has shown that and continue to show he gives us an opportunity to be competitive”? Right just like I said our AD can absolutely can’t have that attitude and just let fans think like fans. You keep saying that your fine with just being competitive like I said without saying it but the truth is gundy has been competitive for only 3 times in 16 years. Do you need 17 years or 18 or 19 or what he’s done in your eyes it dosent matter what he does from here on out because he’s justified by his recorded to date?

Aging it’s about being competitive and how competitive you are and we are in two different categories

“Who are we going to hire” seriously? You sound like Roberto LOL. I don’t know why don’t you ask Baylor or Iowa state. They seem to know how to do it. Unreal little brother syndrome! It’s embarrassing

No no one expected Gundy to make it to the conference championship game. 16 years of coming up failing to do something leads to very low expectations.

1 Like

I couldn’t make much sense of your last few thoughts. Again, I want Oklahoma State to compete at the highest level (NCs). I think the Athletic Director should constantly evaluate what his coaches are doing. I also think he should consider what his coaches have proven their capable of achieving. You mentioned Gundy has only been competitive 3 out of 16 years. I disagree with those numbers, but I will play your game. Does this year count as one of those years? If so, why are you acting like Gundy should be on the hot seat? He was very close to being named national coach of the year again, but you’re right, we should probably go a different direction :rofl:. You laughed at my question of who are we going to hire and provided no candidates. Seriously? Ask Baylor and Iowa State, huh? Let’s see, Gundy is 6-3 vs. the current coaches at those two schools. Can you imagine if he was a combined 3-6 vs. those coaches like they are against Gundy. You would probably have a heart attack.

1 Like

Are you saying that there is no other coach that could win one conference title in 17 years at OSU? And if that is where this University is in football, I’m not sure if there’s been any improvement. Out of 108 seasons we’ve had 10 conference championships but I haven’t seen the big uptick.

1 Like

Please don’t compare the Missouri Valley Conference and those member schools to that of the Big 12 Conference. There is no comparison. :apple::apple: :apple: to :tangerine: :tangerine: :tangerine: Saint Louis and Detroit Mercy weren’t exactly powerhouses. Also, of the 10 conference championships you mentioned 4 of those were co champs. We won the 1926 Conference championship with a 3-4-1 record. So let’s not pretend Oklahoma State football is something it’s not. Do I think another coach could win 1 Conference title at OSU in 17 years. Yes, and once that coach does he would leave for greener pastures and take players and some of his staff with him.

Texas Tech, Kansas, Missouri, Texas A&M, Colorado, and Nebraska. What do these teams have in common? 0 Conference championships since Mike Gundy became head coach at Oklahoma State.

I will take what Oklahoma State football has built over 95% of other college football programs out there right now.

1 Like

This was a thrilling Big 12 Championship game. Oklahoma State put up a good fight. I still think they are a better team than Baylor, which makes the loss disappointing. However, given that expectations were so low for the Pokes heading into the season, it’s hard for me to think of this season as a whole as anything other than a success.

2 Likes

I agree we are better than Baylor, too many mistakes kept us from winning in the champ game. With both teams healthy and minimal mistakes OSU wins 9 time out of 10. Of course the inconstant play of college kids is a major factor in the game and I will argue is one of the things that makes college footbal so popular

1 Like