Wait Til ... Next Year?

Also for what its worth…LSU that year had the 124th ranked defense per kenpom while playing the 59th toughest schedule. This year OSU is ranked 59th in defense while playing the 6th toughest schedule. If we are the same/better on defense next year I think we will be fine. Not to say this wont repeat next year but Baylor, Kansas, West Virginia, and Tech rank 3,2,1, and 10 in defense this year which is absolutely insane. If that also decreases we will be fine.

5 Likes

I just don’t get the ‘everyone calm down on Cade’ motivation. Ben Simmons has been…fine but not spectacular in his career, even going so far as to be more interested in hooking up with one of the appendages of the mass of drama and batshit crazy that is the Kardashians than training at times. Even with that, though, he made a difference at LSU. And despite LSU finishing third that year with him, they ALSO finished third the year after he was gone because he gave the team that bump in recruiting and program-building. Granted, the team went off a cliff for a couple seasons, but that can’t be blamed on him. Simply put, there was a noticeable improvement of LSU for at least a couple seasons due to him being a part of that program.

I’m not saying we’ll go from where we are now to winning the tourney with Cade, but considering how we’ve matched up against Baylor and Kansas and Tech even in the depths of this year (beat Tech, deserved to beat Baylor but got screwed, held on with Kansas), it’s difficult to say that he won’t dramatically change the fortunes of this program.

1 Like

Ben Simmons is one of the 20 best basketball players in the world.

8 Likes

I mean he’s a two time all star averaging 16 and 8 all while taking literally six 3 point shots. He also lead the team to being literal seconds and a Kawhi prayer from taking out the eventual NBA champs. Seems pretty dang good to me for a 23 year old.

3 Likes

Anyways, if Cade shows up with a drive to win like it seems he does. The tournament is the floor. He will be the most talented player to have touched the floor in GIA.

If he has the attitude of Simmons, which with a Mike Boynton does not seem likely, then I guess sure the team will suck.

2 Likes

Just presented for conversation, doesn’t look like we have a TON of data to use, but just since 2010 here are the #1 picks that didn’t go to Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky, and what their teams looked like with and without them the following year.

I am not smart enough to know what’s going to happen with OSU and Cade. Just going to be fun to root him along the way.

1 Like

I’m not disputing the talent of Simmons. I’m saying that Simmons has some legit drawbacks that keep him out of the top 20/elite players in the league. If he doesn’t have good shooting around him, he gets worse and starts shooting worse. He can be streaky in that he doesn’t make shot choices particularly well at times while he does incredibly well at other times.

In watching Cade, I don’t see those weaknesses. I see him take the team on his back and GO. I see him shoot and pass how he needs. Can he improve? For sure. There are always areas to get better at and Cade is no exception. But the ceiling for Cade and the way he approaches the game are definitely stronger than Simmons at this point in his career already. My two cents, of course.

I think this is where we look for a transfer option. Like someone else said, MAM or Donovan Williams could also fill this hole. I think everything will be fine. Simmons played with players worse than we have now and he didn’t even want to play in college.

1 Like

I still am at a complete loss at the whole Anthony Bennett thing…

3 Likes

I’m more baffled by Fultz. They got better and SIGNIFICANTLY so when he left. That’s abnormal.

1 Like

We might also be downplaying how big of an addition MAM could be. 247 has him at 57 in their rankings and that is way higher than they have Rondel.

Dare I say he looks like a smaller Cam McGriff with better touch on his shot and at the rim. Notice how he made his dunk attempts :wink:

5 Likes

Yor
Kalib
Ice
Cade
Keylan/ Walker

It’s hard for me to add Anderson to the starting five because outside of Cade you literally have zero perimeter shooting. Need someone else who might stretch the floor. I haven’t been impressed with Harris. I think Keylan is a better long term prospect. Hoping Walker can shoot.

2 Likes

More Grins and giggles. Here’s the chart of #1 ranked high school prospects, all one and dones, and how their team fared with and without, excluding Duke, KU, Kentucky etc. Doesn’t tell us much.

• UCLA did really well after Muhammad.
  • Already discussed Simmons.
  • Michael Porter is n/a because he didn’t even play.
  • James Wiseman n/a because season not over yet.

That is your opinion and I respect it

Great info there charlie.

1 Like

8 more minutes!
C0NhnyKT89QdO

1 Like

The thing is, it doesn’t matter who the 3 is defensively because Cade can guard the other teams 3 because he’s very big. That other guard will be a shooter who can help space the floor offensively to allow Cade to get down hill with limited help.

So, who would you put in that spot?

1 Like

Idk. It depends who fits that unit the best. If we got Donovan Williams I think he’d be a good fit. Maybe Keylan, Rondel, or even Chris if he gets healthy. It just kind of depends on who separates themselves from the others in summer workouts and leading up to the season as to who is going to start.

1 Like

I think MAM is definitely coming, which means that – at least for tomorrow – OSU will have the No. 1 class in the Big 12 with three top-100 guys, including the No. 1 overall. :grinning:

16 Likes