What I Learned from Sharing that Mike Gundy Photo and How it Changed My Career

Yea I mostly agree with everything you say and aside from checking the forums now and then on this topic I’m done with PFB because of what they did.

2 Likes

I’m not interested in getting into a debate about the degree of bias of media outlets. I do believe that CNN and MSNBC lean left and that is fine. Just like it is fine for OAN to lean right. All media outlets are run by people that have political leanings and, again, that is fine. It is your choice to decide where to get your news and information and what to believe or not believe. However, my opinion is that OAN went too far with their position on BLM so I certainly understand why Chuba was upset.

To the OAN point, PFB has failed to cover this (no surprise), but it is highly relevant. There are two very distinct segments of OAN. The news portion of the network and an opinion portion. The news portion has received praise from the Huffington Post, a very liberal news outlet and the New York Daily News, a left leaning outlet, for its impartial coverage of the news. The opinion portion consists of traditional right wing opinions. This is very different than Fox or CNN, which both blur the lines between opinion and news, choosing instead to put their partisan slant on everything.

I hate that I am citing the Huffington Post, but that seems to be the only kind of media some of you will read, so their summary of OAN states, “10 minutes of OAN tells me eight stories. 10 minutes of Fox or MSNBC tells me one story, to make me mad.” “OAN’s opinion segments are as delusional and incendiary as anything on conservative talk radio or Fox.”

Scott,
I don’t think you should have had your contract reworked! I feel for you if you did. But Gundy did, and you’re on a stage too. I agree politics and sports are intertwined; my point being, they shouldn’t be. Chuba goes to Gundy man-to-man, says the same thing he tweeted, and very probably this gets the same positive result without the fallout.

Sports and Politics have always been intertwined.

The National Anthem, recognizing of troops during games, send championship teams to the White House, making massive spectacles when politicians or presidents attend games, and a plethora of other stuff doesn’t actually have any legitimate reason to be shown or done…yet they’ve always been there and I’m assuming you never had an issue with it then.

2 Likes

Considering Gundy wasn’t apparently connected with his players, that makes that whole thing very difficult. And more likely that he wouldn’t have done anything.

2 Likes

When I think about it, you very likely are right. I just believe man-to-man is the honorable way. Now if Gundy doesn’t listen, all bets are off…

You did nothing wrong Kyle so don’t apologize. Coach Gundy has done an amazing job and I can’t imagine a better coach for OSU. But he can get full of himself and forget he’s been honored with the keys to an incredible organization much bigger than him.

He is a CEO. CEOs are always on-stage. Always. What a CEO says and does have an affect on the employees. Without being humble and listening, you have no idea how your actions are being received by your workers. A modern day CEO knows an engaged workforce leads to greater productivity. There is a business case for engagement, and that means listening, visibility, availability and making sure you have a finger on the pulse of employee concerns. That doesn’t mean you bow to the beliefs of every employee. But it does mean you understand their concerns and address them. It means, at the very least, you don’t do things that will provoke them.

If any players read this blog, please understand the vast majority of OSU fans are not jerks that see you just as football players. We understand the value you bring and want a great organization in which you can thrive and be your best, on the field and in life.

You did nothing wrong Kyle so don’t apologize. Sunlight is still a great disinfectant.

4 Likes

My point is that Kyle did this for one reason only: to be the person who broke the story and to get internet credit for being the woke oSu media member. In doing so, he created a situation that is extremely damaging to our school and team. He even acknowledges that Gundy obviously didn’t really understand what OAN even was (I guarantee he got the shirt in a gift package from OAN after he mentioned them in his prior press conference - it’s not like he scoured the internet and bought one).

Then, he’s going to spend the next year acting disappointed that we lose guys on the recruiting trail or we don’t gain the national prominence that we’re striving for - after doing as much as one exterior person can to contribute to those outcomes.

I’m not on a high-horse. Kyle did what 95% of modern sports journalists would do - you seize the opportunity to become the source of a national story. But if he’s going to do that, just own up to it. You don’t even need to apologize, just don’t then come here and go “aw shucks” and try to be relatable to fans when guys decommit or we don’t get our games televised.

This “apology” post was just as self-serving as the initial action was. This is 2020 - you don’t even have to apologize for things anymore unless you’re in the cancellation cross hairs. Just own up to it and I would respect him more.

It’s like the kid in high school who tries to get in with the popular crowd by bashing his current friend group, then tries to come back to that friend group when the popular crowd doesn’t care about him anymore and act like he doesn’t understand why his old friends don’t want to hang out with him anymore.

1 Like

I remember McCleskey trying the man to man approach. So did Justice Hill.

1 Like

I never heard of OAN until this crap started. Looked it up and found out that its a news station. So I started watching b/c I wanted to see why the hate for this news station. I was expecting to hear nothing but racist comments but I have yet to hear anything but news stories. Nothing pro this or anti that. So after spending time watching this station, its clear you brought your personal politics into a sports blog. I can see why Gundy didn’t know their stance on things b/c after watching I don’t know.

3 Likes

Great take. However, I will say that it is fun to watch Boone grovel and squeak out his lame apologies. Probably why this post has 75 comments and nothing else in the last few weeks has more than 20.

1 Like

So you mean to tell me the article Mike Holder’s $17 Million Problem didn’t try to fan the flames to get rid of him?? PFB really tried to remove our current coach. Come on man…you know what PFB intent was from the point this started.

I know about 30+ season ticket holders and they believe this blog went out of it’s way to slam him.

PFB had an agenda…and no one won…all it did was divide the team…And this will never be the same again

2 Likes

Good point Travis. Here is something that you might find interesting. I work with a guy who is a Trump supporter, Preacher, and extremely right leaning. In this gentleman’s opinion Trump can do no wrong and is the best thing to ever happen to this country. This same guy was grousing the other day that he no longer watches Fox News because they have moved too far left. He only gets his news from OAN now. Go figure.

I disagree 100% this was planned from the start. You can’t tell me this article Mike Holder’s $17 Million Problem didn’t try to get Gundy fired?? Come on…read this…it basically tells Holder how to get rid of Gundy.

Look who wrote it?? Kyle Porter of PFB…

And you say that PFB didn’t want Gundy fired…geez whatever dude…

Then last year they got Holder on their podcast and saying Gundy wasn’t recruiting well…Which should have been an internal commincation between Holder and Gundy only…

Now the slam articles against Gundy…yeah I think PFB tried really hard to get rid of him. Not sure why…but they are no better than Jim Traber…

PFB doesn’t report the Oklahoma State News…they make the news…

If you think PFB was how Holder was going to find out how to be able to fire Gundy then you’re crazy :joy:. I’m sure that Holder knew exactly what he had to do if he wanted to get rid of Gundy, and that 17 million probably did save Gundy.

I mean… Holder said it… so that’s not on PFB.

If you really think PFB, a site who runs on Oklahoma state athletics… wants the best and most winningest football coach ever at OSU to be gone… you might need to be a fan of the team down south.

1 Like

Here’s a truth; you did it for yourself.
In doing so you damaged you, your brand and the family’s of those with whom you work, the University and it’s football program, their fans, and caused a man to lose 20% of his salary. Do the perceived or assumed program improvements outweigh the spawned harm? I think most can discern the answer. It is incumbent upon you to do better, going forward.

A few observations:
•It seems as if the people complaining the most about the blog being too political are the ones making the most overtly political statements. They also seem like the angriest among us.
•Those same people seem to think they know Boone’s true, hidden motivations. The implication is that Boone secretly hates OSU, and wants the winningest football coach in program history fired. :man_shrugging:
•There’s also talk of “cancel culture”, even though no one involved in this has been cancelled - Gundy’s still coach, Chuba’s still RB1, Boone’s still here.
•Somehow Boone has ruined the (maybe) upcoming season? Crazy’s gonna crazy I guess.

8 Likes

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Stick to golf man just stick to golf :yawning_face:

1 Like