What Is the Cost of a Bedlam Gameday for Oklahoma State?

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/what-is-the-cost-of-a-bedlam-gameday-for-oklahoma-state/

Is the amount OSU would lose on a Bedlam gameday negligible?

Would it be worth comparing the UT vs a&m with our situation or is that just apples to oranges? Roughly 31b to 13b in terms of endowment in their case. In bedlam, OU has about a billion dollars more than us in endowment.

Maybe endowment doesn’t have anything to do with this particular conversation, but not playing them is not going to break us, if I’m reading this right. Nor will playing them substantially pad our coffers. If we think collectively that playing them somehow gives us some value beyond fiscal considerations I don’t see it.

I’m with the podcast guys, it’s time to stop thinking our value as a program is tied to OU. They basically leave us in the dust, which was their prerogative (and I can’t say I blame them for taking the money), and we want to say, hey please, PLEASE, remember us when you leave? Not a fan

3 Likes

No, we don’t get value out of being taken advantage of for being naive…to the extent that some of us still believe that we aren’t being swindled on the field of play by the system that ou / texas just blew up that favored them (crazy that they did that). The Big 12 commissioner needs to be out due to him actually offering them both a bigger share after they spurned us and went behind our backs as a league. He should have said “don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord spit ya.” That built in advantage was the problem with this league in the first place…it gave an unfair advantage to those two schools. They will no longer have that in the SEC and I hope they both lose every game.

2 Likes

I can only hope but are we not sick and tired of playing Little Brother for OU? They chose their path without considering they put OSU’s future. Bob Stoops told us in blunt terms OSU was and could not be considered in OU’s decision. If OU chose without us why do we want to continue playing with liars and sneak thieves just to add to their strength of schedule, newspaper coverage from the Oklahoman " Sooner Gazzette", banter on sports radio, and tv for a week after the game. They have slapped us in the face with a leather glove. A challenge that we can’t make it without playing them every year. So, are we just going to turn the other cheek for more abuse? I so NO MORE. Let them find their competition. We can schedule anybody we choose to fill Boone Pickens Stadium !! Right…!! You bet we can…!! So let’ move on without the baggage we will care for the Norman Horde. Get Behine… Going On. We do not need OU to be successful…Believe Me Brother !!!

3 Likes

Can the entire $ 366K be attributed to just the Bedlam game, aren’t there other alternating venues for the other games in the season, doesn’t seem to be apples to oranges, I’m probably missing something.

Thats not much compare it with other big 12 games…

The benefit isn’t so much in the dollar amount necessarily but the pitch to other power conferences of bringing that game to them, and then also the benefit of having a prime time spot on National television. If we can find another team to play that gives us that prime time slot then let’s go for it, we’re bound to beat them more than we have OU and it’s all about getting eye balls on OSU and building the brand.

1 Like

At this point if it benefits OU in any way I’m against it. By continuing the game OU also gets a prime time game. I wouldn’t give that school another cent or more attention. I’d rather play Stillwater high school on the schedule than benefit Norman.

4 Likes

Just tell them, for football, no thanks. uo left, not us. Also, until they leave, for games in Stillwater, tell them to leave their band in Norman. We don’t need or appreciate the noise from them.

1 Like

I hope every game till they leave starts at 11 am.

4 Likes

Amen !! Throw them to the curb we don’t need them only good at football most times so we can find a Michigan or Oregon depending on outcome !! Don’t like em and so glad to see them leave !! Like a date with bad breathe!!

Gonna flip this argument upside down. Instead of looking at how much money we could lose by not playing Bedlam…How many better bowl games could we have gotten if not for Bedlam losses? How many Big 12 titles? That’s the real loss of money. Think about the money difference in Alamo Bowl payout vs Fiesta Bowl payout. Or, Sugar vs Cheezit. Playing OU has already cost us more than NOT playing them ever will.

4 Likes

The bowl way is a good look.
But compare bedlam to each conf. Game.
Ou isn’t even a top ten attendance game. So if more people show to non-bedlam games, more money spent in non-bedlam games.
My questions is why did we lose 5000 seats. We were at 60000 but now we only hold 55000 why is that.

1 Like

I don’t think they (OU) will play a non-conference game against a team they feel might beat them. New rivalries can be formed eventually bringing in comparable game day monies. OU isn’t the only game in town.

Bedlam is probably the highest average attendance every time they’re in Stillwater. Going by one off games isn’t very logical. We lost seats because they added more amenities to the stadium a few years ago I believe.

1 Like

We know everyone is getting fatter, by adding just 1 inch to the width of each seat, you will lose 500 seats.

I hope ur not one that horse won’t take much more

So what’s this rumor were have finalized a deal with the pac 12

Boy I hope so cause 4th in the pac 12 looks better than 4th in the Big 12.

1 Like

I’m not sure I fully understand what the point of these #'s are. All I see pointed out is the difference between where the bedlam game is played. It seems as though the real comparison would be between whether the game is played or not at all. I dont see how not playing either team at all is to our financial advantage. It also seems to me like big money is ruining college football. I just hate all this. All the Saturday traditions. Money always corrupts anything that’s good eventually. Thanks for the arrogant selfishness from I-35.

1 Like