Who is the better OSU Coach? Eddie or Gundy?

Didn’t he also do something at Arkansas, or am I making fart sounds?

And, as far as the mullet comment goes, I’m speaking about people who aren’t OSU fans. I’m speaking of people who, when we have small talk at the bar, while watching Saturday college football, will try to find something to mention when they talk about OSU football. And it’s almost always “I like your coach”…which then turns into “his mullet is hilarious”.

And then I cringe…and take another sip of my beer.

'Bama fans should also remember that they got gifted a trip to the NC game in 2011 at our expense.

3 Likes

THIS. And that’s why they like to make fun of the mullet.

2 Likes

I don’t think so. But maybe I’m forgetting something. Wouldn’t be the first time. Even earlier this morning I totally forgot about Mike Holder on the OSU Coaching Mt. Rushmore… so…

1 Like

I work with students on campus. None of these kids know anything about Alabama football that far back.

A senior today was ~15 years old in 2011. Big time Alabama football fan kids would remember. I have sons who are 17 and 18. They remember 2011.

1 Like

Isn’t that the truth for every non blue blood school? What can you tell me about the Utah football team? What do you know about Iowa football? I think the fact that there is something about OSU that every football fan/player/prospect knows is important. Does Gundy lead the National Championship coach broadcast without the mullet? That keeps the brand out there even though it wasn’t a very successful season. First it was the rant and now the mullet, IMHO they need to keep pumping up the mullet.

3 Likes

Good point. But I think we’re known for Wide Receivers and a potent offense. Wisconsin - a similar non-Blue Blood - is known for huge offensive lines. Utah is a good example of a high-performing non-Blue Blood that does not have a reputation.

1 Like

It brings up an interesting question as to just how did they pick the coaches for NC coaches broadcast? Gundy may have gotten in initially because of the mullet, but he’s been great in that role. Patterson is really good too and has a reputation as a good defensive coach, but there is really nothing that stands out about his personality or anything during the season. The BC coach was brand new and I could not have named the Vandy coach either. Wonder how they got picked?

Most of the students here are out of state students. They don’t really know details about most events UA football related before they got here. There is a portion of students who are in-state kids and lifelong fans, but a majority of students aren’t. They just go here now because they’re good at football. Most students that I talk to consider Clemson to be a much bigger rival than Auburn which still blows my mind. That’s where we are at.

3 Likes

Oh, I’m not anti-mullet. Any exposure is good exposure. I don’t mind it. I was just highlighting Chimp’s point.

For me the tipping point is how Eddie left things and the abysmal depths that our basketball program has fallen to partly due to the way he left. I do not hold it against him as a person because he had some really bad stuff to deal with but it tips me in favor of Gundy in this poll.

Debating Eddie versus gundy in general is madness.

They’re completely different sports in different eras.

3 Likes

I agree with that. That was kind of what I was trying to get at in my earlier reply.

1 Like

Eddie recruited the top class in the country in 2005.

That was Sean not Eddie. Eddie left Sean set up to succeed.

I know you live in Memphis so it’s a different story, but even here in DFW when I bring up OSU its about football. Nobody cares about basketball or remembers what Eddie did here. Its probably recency bias, but Gundy has OSU on the map more than Eddie did I believe.

3 Likes

I title in 15 years isn’t anywhere close to Smith or Ward performance. The fact Harris and Holder aren’t mentioned IMO shows how emotional this discussion is for fans. You want consistency how about Ward’s conference title streak or Golf’s NCAA streak. Those are national historic accomplishments. Had fans been able to watch these teams plays on TV I think it gets viewed differently. I do think Gundy is the most accomplished coach in oSu history, but 1 conference title is not Rushmore material IMO.

1 Like

I don’t disagree that Sean was the problem but I don’t think Sean was ready and this caused his own demons to take over him. Maybe Eddie did not realize how far Sean was addicted but that to could be because he also was not wanting to confront his own addiction problems.

1 Like

You’re going to be mad, but Football > Golf. We like golf and it’s cool to be a golf powerhouse, but it doesn’t move the needle. Gundy put OSU on the football map.And the money comes from football.

3 Likes