Who is the better OSU Coach? Eddie or Gundy?

And the money that made football makes money didn’t come from Gundy. He just maintained it decently well.

The winningest coach in our history didn’t make the money? I would think he’s pretty dang responsible for it :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Timing is everything and Gundy had it on his side. He’s a good not great coach.

1 Like

Fair argument. I already fell on my sword for omitting Holder. I do think that due to the financial and societal implications of football, that there is a greater emphasis in my weightings given to Gundy. But honestly, if I really were on a committee to recommend an OSU Coaching Mt. Rushmore, I don’t know what I’d do now. I’d have to look at some more data before deciding. My first gut idea was woefully insufficiently thought out. I blame message boards. :wink:

2 Likes

@Alum_in_AZ Gundy supporters don’t start by bringing up the mullet. It’s people in the south. HeadChimp is in Memphis. I’m right outside Clemson, SC. And we moved here from Tuscaloosa, AL. I get asked a lot about who I root for in football. I say, “I went to Oklahoma State, so I root for OSU. But we are fine with Clemson/Bama too because we don’t have an ACC/SEC team.”

The immediate response from both men and women is, “I LOVE your coach! He’s so funny with that hair! What’s his name again? He’s so fun!”

Because it is the same in both towns I’ve lived in, I’m gonna assume it’s the same for @TheHeadChimp too.

3 Likes

Interesting. I almost never hear that in Arizona.

1 Like

I hear that in North Carolina.

From my previous work, there were a ton of kids who couldn’t get into University of Texas - Austin that ended up at Bama. But it really is a campus with people from all over.

Clemson is TINY. Auburn is a bigger town. The Auburn campus is very compact though. (were you speaking population wise?)

2 Likes

Sorry I meant to say students think Clemson is a much bigger rival than Auburn. That was a key word missing there.

Do you think it’s because there is a professional football team in Arizona, but not in Alabama or South Carolina? Also because they are title chasing teams so they pay attention to the championship broadcast and Gundy’s been a commentator in that? I think Gundy being a commentator is where they see him.

Oh gotcha. I agree. Bama thinks their big rivals are Clemson and LSU. From what I saw, they really didn’t respect Georgia or Auburn as much as they should have. They treat Auburn how Sooner fans treat us.

We moved in 2018 though, so it might have shifted a bit with Georgia.

Bama fans are awful to watch games with. They are freaking out before anyone scores.

1 Like

Just guessing, but I don’t think the mullet is a thing here in the west like it is in the south. Generally, folks in Arizona are either oblivious to OSU football or they think reasonably highly of OSU football. OSU has played bowl games here 3 times in semi-recent history (Insight Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and Cactus Bowl). Our recruiting has picked up in the area as well.

1 Like

Doesn’t make me mad at all that many oSu fans have that false bias. The state of Oklahoma has a huge history of with OU football and much of that is the result of boarding the state of Texas. What began as promoting state pride during hard times was a thinly veiled attempt to build a cash making enterprise. Iba passed on the idea and OU gave a green light to outside interests.

It is the ability to generate income that has made football a priority in the state. To infer that an accomplish is less because the Daily Oklahoma or other business interests can’t profit is pure bias. It also delights OU fans to no end and would certainly earn the scorn of Gallagher & Iba. Some buy into the hype and the rest of us are happy content oSu fans. You being frustrated about the issue doesn’t impact my daily routine.

THANK YOU…thank you. This is why you’re one of my faves. The women always have to bring reason.

There’s a place I go to called The Vault, from time to time. It’s themed like an old bank vault, though once you go inside, it’s anything but…

Anyway, I once talked to this KState grad who now does photography on a traveling basis for National Geographic. Of course we got into Big 12 stuff, and all he talked about was Gundy’s hair. I wanted to strangle him. Not him specifically, but the fact that THAT is what comes up first.

How about “Dang, you guys are really good, Gundy’s play-calling is insane”…?

Ed Orgeron has it both ways, fortunately for him. He’s that ogre-voiced, kooky human bobblehead-looking guy…who just won a national championship! It’s annoying.

1 Like

But don’t you remember in the years before the mullet, and you talked to anyone about OSU in a college sports context outside the Big 12 and they said, “oh, yeah, the sooners?” Used to happen to me all the time. Now? Pretty rare. Mullet or not, that’s a change.

2 Likes

Uhhh, that still happens to me, for people not familiar with the Big 12/Oklahoma schools.

“I’m from Oklahoma.”

“Ah, is that the Sooners?”

fists clench…blood pressure sky rockets

“Nooo, I went to Oklahoma State.”

“Oh, the mullet!”

reports of person getting mauled by a chimp

7 Likes

Well, thanks to your explanations and @lmand, I now have a better appreciation of the impact of the mullet in the south.

It’s going to get interesting when he stops coloring the mullet.

3 Likes

He should grow a beard and go full-blown redneck viking. Leave the mullet. Let’s up the ante.

2 Likes

Neck beard only. Mullet requires it.

3 Likes

I think Georgia isn’t a more prevalent rival because they have only played each other 8 times since 1995. Bama fans have 0 fun at football games. They take it way too seriously. People get mad when they beat people 45-7. Like MAD.

2 Likes