Who will be the next football head coach?

His record at VT is a few percentage points below Gundy’s at OSU, but it appears he’s handling the covid situation well.

His ties to the area are OU TIES ARE YOU INSANE?!?!?! :smirk:

(I know he played for Union.)

He’ll sabotage the program.

1 Like

Come on KP. Don’t leave us hanging with a cryptic one-liner like that.

2 Likes

Ha, was more referring to the fact that his family lives in Tulsa and he coached in Texas so he knows the Texas HS coaching scene.

I think it is his impression from talking to people during Gundy t-shirt happenings.

I mean… Darrell Royal didn’t sabotage Texas…

4 Likes

That was actually Monken IMO in the lead up to him being hired at UGA for a salary oSu could afford.

Could ?

I don’t think this would be a good idea, and I’m not sure that’s a popular take.

Yeah, it’s like a relationship where you had a lot of fun for a couple years, but not sure he’s long term commitment material.

3 Likes

but I love him so much

2 Likes

The only issue with Fuente, is a lot of VT fans aren’t huge fans of him. His performance last year was very lack luster when it shouldn’t have been. Also, he actually tried to jump ship to Baylor and was even rumored for it, which soured a lot of VT fans even more.

IMO we’re going to be looking in about 5 years. I assume we will look at the G5 coaches,
Seth Littrell at UNT (If he is still there)
Sonny Dykes at SMU (If he is still there)
Marcus Arroyo at UNLV (have to wait and see how that works out)
Ryan Silverfield at Memphis (have to wait and see how that works out)
Dunn
Maybe someone else on staff (Tim Rattay idk maybe)

I will say Fuente’s connections are interesting though. Still not my first choice.

The school of thought on PFB was if Monken didn’t get an NFL job oSu would be his #1 option.Then speculation Monken might get a college salary offer that was above what oSu was willing to pay. When his contract amount was announced at UGA the salary was below that number. The resulting speculation was Gundy either didn’t want Monken, didn’t want Monken as a hired gun, or Monken wasn’t as excited to return to oSu as previously believed.

1 Like

Best case is a P5 assistant. Don’t think we will get a hot G5 head coach.

Might luck into a guy that was shamed somewhere and is sitting in, like, Nick Saban’s coaching rehab or something like that.

3 Likes

Me, irrationally so.

His brother was a hockey teammate of mine at OSU. Super good dude.

4 Likes

Fuente to OSU confirmed.

10 Likes

Doug Gottlieb

6 Likes

A shamed coach who’s now trying to get back by working for Nick Saban you say? Maybe even one with Big 12 and local connections?

(I’M JUST KIDDING)

Honestly understanding the luck of OSU sports, it would be Mike Stoops who took OSU beyond where Gundy has brought us.

3 Likes