Why Mike Gundy is Right to Stick With Spencer Sanders

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/why-mike-gundy-is-right-to-stick-with-spencer-sanders/

Three thoughts on what it means now and moving forward.

I imagine that a week from now weā€™ll be reading an article from PFB on ā€œWhy Gundy Was Right to Bench Sandersā€ against K State with either the pokes barely escaping with a win or leaving Manhattan with a close loss.

As long as Shane Illingworth doesnā€™t play again no one can prove Gundy was wrong.

2 Likes

One problem with this story is that mason was a true freshman when his # starts
Sanders is in his 5th semester.
There really is no but Bobby Reid to compare to.

I will say this if u are going to bench some after 2 turnovers u donā€™t tell them.

Iā€™m ā€˜all inā€™ on Gundyā€™s decision and Sanders as QB1 ā€¦the ROI is just too compelling ā€¦ I am not a Gundy ā€˜homerā€™ by no means ā€¦ (Iā€™ve been an 11 yr critic of Gundyā€™s recruiting strategy/results) ā€¦ but, Iā€™ve waited a long time for a QB like Sanders to appear in Stilly and we finally got ONE!

Iā€™ve already said what happened with Texas. Not going to get into opinions, u never fight a one legged dog. But this I need to clear up this. We finally got one, what is one. A 4 star qb, no we had one of them before. One could run, no we had that too racial challenged no weā€™ve had that. Qb that puts up a ton of turnovers weā€™ve had that too. Sanders is Bobbie reid 2.0 but if its was a running qb we had them. Even corndog could run he only 15 yds per year game less then Spencer. But threw for 4000 yds.

I expect the next time he turns the ball over he gets benched. What worries me though is we go to a K State team with not many athletes and Sanders can play like he did in high school and just out athlete people and everyone goes nuts about how good he is and why it was the right move to stick with him and then when we go down south in 2 weeks against 4 and 5 star athletes we get a repeat of Texas and lose in bedlam.

3 Likes

Here is my ā€œHot Takeā€, though I donā€™t think it should be that controversialā€¦ All of this is fine Mr. Gundy, provided that Sanders actually makes the adjustments you believe he should, AND further, that we go on to finish this season with a conference title (at the VERY LEAST, contending for one in the Big 12 Championship)ā€¦

However, given Gundyā€™s complete unwillingness, (and history of such) to make any major in season position changes unless forced, and given so much returning talent in a rare season featuring lackluster play by both conference ā€œblue bloodā€ programsā€¦ Should the team fall short of the conference title game, and do so because of these obvious adjustments that Gundy failed to implement, and the incredible talents he is still currently not taking full advantage ofā€¦ Coach Mike Gundy should be spending as much time on the Cowboy sideline next year as Hubbard and Wallace will likely beā€¦

By that I mean NONE AT ALLā€¦ Letā€™s see if the artist formerly known as ā€œThe Mulletā€, can actually take advantage of the promise this team still provides, and can salvage some national respect, a conference title, and just maybe an outside shot at a playoff birthā€¦ Or if like sooo many other seasons at Oklahoma State, will he squander an abundance of talent backed by a truck load of hope from the Cowboy faithful, and fall short of what should have been the easiest path to a Big 12 Championship in decades (if ever!).

Between now and then, we have half of a season, 2 ranked road opponents, a massive in state rivalry game, and several lackluster teams that would love nothing more then to upset whatever hopes our fan base is still holding onto. Letā€™s see what Gundy still has up his sleeve, because if he doesnā€™t display a few more coaching magic tricks as promised, we may just see him disappearā€¦

3 Likes

Spencer Sanders is the Tony Romo of college football currently. He will look great at times and may have some monster games, but there will always be 2-3 turnovers attached to the stat line for him.

1 Like

So youā€™ve waited for a QB that hands free points to the other team and canā€™t read a defense or go through progressions properly to save his life?

2 Likes

If they wouldā€™ve played him in 2018 instead of Corndog he probably would be well groomed by now and not be making this many mistakes. You can thank Mike Gundy for that one.

2 Likes

I do thank Gundy for playing corndog in 2018

You could have Tom Brady playing for OSU and Gundy would still find a way to lose in Norman.

2 Likes

That one leg dog is running free.

1 Like

Iā€™m about 90% certain this is exactly what we can expect. There is nothing Gundy has shown me to make me think any other different scenario is possible.

2 Likes

Because no one else could take that team to 9th in the conference.

2 Likes

Didnt read where Iā€™m not fight with one leg dogs. Yes I would be completely happy to have corndog on this team.

Donā€™t worry thereā€™s still time to get 9th.

2 Likes

Because Gundy likes not winning the Conference Championship and going to lack luster, no name Bowls. They continually help him get healthy raises.