Why OSU Will Beat OU on Saturday in Bedlam 2020

Agree but the reason for the success on third down is the pressure that you can bring if you can cover 1-on-1. I would rather gamble a bit on our coverage rather than watch OU run it down our throats or short pass us to death. Seen that too many times in the past.

This!!! People beg to have Gundy fired but they donā€™t realize how detrimental coaching turnover is the majority of the time. It rarely works. OU lucked out with Riley being an offensive wizard. Texas, FSU, USC, Baylor, Texas tech, Michigan, Stanford, I can go on and on, coaching changes have hurt their programs more than theyā€™ve helped. OSU will never be at the top of the charts in recruiting, so if OSU is ever going to fire Gundy, they better ā– ā– ā– ā–  well ensure that they can hire someone that is as good at developing talent as Gundy. Then have great game plans to boot. Gundy has been poor on the recruiting trail from a ranking standpoint, but heā€™s hit gold mines over and over with guys like Washington, Blackmon, Hill, Sterling, Peel, tons of guys who were low 4 or 3 stars that will play on sundays. People donā€™t understand how fortunate OSU fans are to have the entitlement they have right now. With the prestige level and funding OSU has at their disposal, theyā€™ve far overachieved what anyone else in the country at their level has. Thereā€™s maybe 15-20 programs in America that have consistently won 8-10 games every year like OSU, and Iā€™d be willing to bet that 90% of them have double the resources at their disposal that OSU does. Itā€™d be like US Grant winning 7 games every year and people being mad that they donā€™t have as many wins as Jenks. If it werenā€™t for the failures heā€™s had with OU (OSU has never been able to beat Ou, regardless of coach) heā€™d have a mountain-sized statue towering over Boone Pickens right now.

2 Likes

Speaking of Tech. Looks like Gundy canā€™t figure out how to beat them either as of recent.

Iā€™m not an OU fan and never will be. Iā€™m just one of the few concerned OSU fans that realizes we arenā€™t going any further and arenā€™t beating OU with a coach that cares more about his hair and ego than furthering the progress of the football program.

Wouldnā€™t it be nice for outside people to recognize OSU for its football program rather than a coach that tries to make himself look like the 1992 version of Billy Ray Cyrus? For your information Iā€™ve been to several OSU football games (even some on the road) and Iā€™ve supported this team even through the terrible Pat Jones and Bob Simmons era.

Then at some point you stop going to bedlam games because you know the coach on the field that looks like Billy Ray Cyrus isnā€™t going to find a way to win. We are now just like K State. Keep games extremely close and pray like hell we win the game.

I apologize for wanting better results for the players, coaches, students, alumni, and fans. Maybe you can explain to them why itā€™s a good idea to keep a coach around thatā€™s proven (even in his college days) that he doesnā€™t have what it takes any longer to beat OU and take the next step.

Maybe we should provide a new recruiting pitch as well.

ā€œListen kid!!! You want to come play for a team that has a HC that looks like Billy Ray Cyrus!!! You donā€™t want to go down south, and actually win conference titles, and compete for national titles!!! What you need is some good ole Cowboy culture!!!ā€

Texas has made it to the conference title game too since itā€™s been implemented.

Like you, Iā€™ve been an OSU fan for a very long time. Iā€™ve seen OSU lose to OU in so many different ways I canā€™t even count them all. My family thinks Iā€™m insane in my devotion to this school and itā€™s athletic teams so I get the frustration and I can partly see how you would put the blame on Gundy. But while Gundy is part of the problem he is also not the entire problem. Look at OSUGrads post because he is 100% right. Gundy and company do more with less than any other school in our conference and maybe in the country. He is a master at finding diamond in the rough skill players that are not recruited by the bluebloods and turning them into special players.

However, what we have never been able to get are the bigā€™s that you need to win championships. We never have the depth on the OL or DL (until this year) to last the season. OU does. Bama does. Clemson does. tOSU does. That is where you win or lose championships. If you are an NFL caliber HS recruit where are you going to play? OSU? Heck no, you are going to wherever you can go to get to the playoffs. In the case of the Big12 you go to OU and you do not go to OSU. If OSU had an OL that was healthy and the same caliber of OU do you think OU would be favored in bedlam this year? Nope, the Pokes would be double digit favorites based on our D and our skill positions. (my opinion)

Complain all you want about Gundy but firing him does not fix the recruiting problem. The recruiting problem OSU faces is the same that faces any non-blueblood program. Unfortunately for us we have to play a blueblood with those advantages every year. Iā€™m encouraged that we seem to be closing the gap slightly so that the games are competitive. Would I like to win more? Hell yes! And if I thought firing Gundy would help us do that I would be all over it. I just donā€™t see it that way.

1 Like

What is Gundyā€™s record against Texas the past 10 years? Just curious.

1 Like

Cherry pick much?

1 Like

Thatā€™s joe for u. He never letā€™s reality or the real facts get him down

2009 was his worst blunder. Why in the heck he played a badly banged up Zack Robinson when Weeden was obviously the better choice is beyond me. I drank a lot that day in my frustration.

Heā€™s 7-4 in the past 11 seasons (0-2) in the last two meetings (just like Texas Tech). Texas has also had the following records.

2010: 5-7
2011: 8-5
2012: 9-4
2013: 8-5
2014: 6-7
2015: 5-7
2016: 5-7
2017: 7-6
2018: 10-4
2019: 8-5

Thatā€™s a 71-57 overall record in the past decade. So itā€™s not like Gundy has been facing the same Texas teams from 2005-2009 (where he went 0-5). Who really doesnā€™t beat Texas these days?

Art Briles figured out a way to recruit well and win a couple of conference titles. He even beat OU three times.

The real facts are Gundy is 1-3 in Bedlam even as a favorite.

Briles leach miles what is it with fired coaches. Briles spent 20 yrs in texas hs. If we read may post earlier thatā€™s a big deal in recruiting. Still never got as high as Gundy 3rd ranking. I know u were b mad when hill was released. The 2 linemen this. U want to play injured players. Play 4 stars even tho their not better( like texas does).

I still canā€™t believe he didnā€™t beat that ā€˜05 Texas squad. Talk about an all-time upset.

Art Briles? You want to go there? Dude was banned from coaching because of the way he ran his program. Tells me a lot about you brother.

1 Like

Not to mention the rape culture Briles brought to Baylor. Joe lost all credibility with that one.

1 Like

Idk, 2013 was rough. I sat on a pile of snow in -5 degree windchills for 4 hours just to watch him blow a gimme conference title to a far inferior team with a tight end playing QB.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was rough. I wonder if that was as cold as the Bedlam Ice Bowl in 85. Sat through that with my Dad and still get the chills every time I think about it.

1 Like

It was bad enough that I came extremely close to giving up in the 3rd quarter and walking back to my apartment. We were winning, so I decided to stay and tough it out. Bad choice.