Your Favorite OSU Sports - Ranked

I have been thinking as I read through a bunch of the other threads. I want to know what everyone in here would rank as their favorite OSU sports to follow, top to bottom. I personally am more of a “small sport” guy and follow our non revenue teams much more closely than say, football. For me it would have to be:

Wrestling
Baseball
Basketball (on the rise because I really like Boynton)
Golf
Softball
Football (I still love Cowboy Football, don’t yell at me)
Soccer
Equestrian
Cross Country/Track

We talk a lot in the Wrestling thread about how most people only care about the major sports… so I guess I just got curious as to each of your personal preferences. I also might throw the numbers into a spreadsheet to figure out support percentages for grins.

2 Likes

Basketball
Football
Everything Else

Grew up playing basketball, as well as other sports like soccer, football, track.

Just for me it is so much more fun and enjoyable to watch OSU basketball. I have been finding myself more excited for BBs recent games then almost all of footballs games this year, they have just became stale recently. And it is fun to follow the recruits and feel slightly more attached than in football where theres so many and most come out of nowhere.

2 Likes

It’s normally Football then Basketball, but I’ve had more fun watching basketball (and engaging in the threads) this year than I have at any point with football for a couple years now. So…

Basketball
Football
Wrestling
Baseball/Golf
Softball
All others

Grew up playing basketball (through eighth grade) and always have loved it, but I like watching sports where I feel a sense of hope. Basketball has that and in spades, even if we lose. Wrestling has it. Golf had it and will again. Football just…doesn’t right now. It’s draining to watch, not enjoyable.

3 Likes

I guess I would also be curious to know if you prefer to follow a sport because you grew up playing it, watching a local team, etc…

1. Wrestling
  2. Football
  3. Basketball
  4. Baseball

I grew up wrestling, so I may be somewhat biased.

1 Like

Golf
Football
Basketball
Wrestling
Baseball
Soccer
Tennis
Softball

Soccer and softball are actually really fun atmosphere’s, as well as tennis. Especially in the new soccer stadium and tennis facilities.

2 Likes
  1. Football
  2. Basketball
  3. Golf
  4. Wrestling
  5. Baseball
  6. Soccer
  7. Softball

And then the others. Haha

1 Like

Football
Basketball
Baseball
Golf

Everything else. I did go to a lot of games like softball, equestrian, soccer. But I just don’t follow them.

1. Baseball
  2. Football
  3. Basketball
  4. Wrestling
  5. Golf
    and all the rest.
    Loved spending spring afternoons and evenings over at Allie P. Saw a lot of bombs dropped there. Watched some amazing players-- Inky, Ventura, Farris, and all the rest. In the end, it’s hard to put one sport over the other.
2 Likes

Love cheering for any OSU team, but would rank like this:

1. Football (last time I played was 1977 7th grade but now I help coach flag football)
  2. Basketball (grew up playing this)
  3. Wrestling (family member works in collegiate wrestling)
  4. Softball (daughter played and I coached)
  5. Golf (just because elite)
  6. Baseball
  7. Tennis (grew playing this, but not easy to follow remotely)
  8. Soccer
  9. Cross country
  10. Equestrian
    Wish we had Volleyball too (had daughter who played)
1 Like

Number one sport I wish we had - Women’s volleyball team

2 Likes
  1. Men’s Basketball (I’ll defend it always: we are a basketball school)
  2. Football
  3. Golf (Elite talent and product… Hovland and Wolff got me hooked for years to come)
  4. Baseball
  5. Wrestling (The best environment in Oklahoma State athletics… That Iowa dual last year was my favorite GIA memory in my 23 years of living)
  6. Cross Country/Track & Field (Used to follow this much more, having been a track guy in high school in OK… The program has drastically fallen off in the last 5-6 years. Was a dominant top 3 program and a contender for National Titles every year. There’s a lot to this falling off, but Coach Smith just doesn’t have the horses he used to.)
  7. Softball
  8. Women’s Soccer
  9. Tennis
  10. Equestrian
2 Likes

I mean, I can answer this NOW…but ask me again in August. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

1A basketball
1B football
2 wrestling
3 baseball
4 softball
5 livestock judging. It may not even be considered as sport, but folks most don’t know OSU has won the national championship for the last 3 years in a row. A lot of these great young men and women go on to careers in Agriculture and help feed the world. If you can get a scholarship for a competitive event is it considered a sport?
6 golf
7 rodeo
8 soccer
9 equestrian

5 Likes

Love this, I actually judged at OSU!

2 Likes

I judged in Junior college at Redlands CC several years ago. Chose not to judge at OSU and enjoy my time as a student commitment free. Most do not know there is the beginning of a dynasty starting at OSU currently amongst our midst

1 Like

I was confusing this with the meat judging dynasty that Tech has.

OSU actually has more national meat judging titles than Tech… 19 to 12…

2 Likes

I was offered a small scholarship to judge meats at OSU. Didn’t know what I wanted to do so never took it but wish I would’ve . Josh Roberts, isn’t in this forum but used to comment heavily on the blog, was my coach at EOSC . I miss judging competitions so much .
Porter we might need some judging coverage on the blog js

Recency bias for me, I guess. Thanks for providing me with the historical perspective.