'Bedlam Is History,' but Mike Gundy Bullish on OSU's Future Sans Oklahoma

Probably the first time I’ve agreed with you. It makes no sense for for public funds to be going towards a minor league sport.

1 Like

I’m pointing out that OU’s decision making and perspective on how they view things is obviously going to be different than how OSU fans and administrators view things. Because each school’s prestige (football especially) is different.

Just because OU does something doesn’t necessarily mean OSU should or CAN do the same, and that concept also applies to OU. You just pointed out perfectly what I’ve said to Ketchup. Some people just can’t see things from the other side’s perspective.

Lmfao!!!

Ok, there’s a contradiction to what you’re saying here. Football is the most popular sport, so college football will be popular. The NBA is popular right now, so why is college football dying? Money-driven one and dones? College football has that now with the portal. Lower quality than the pro product? College football has that now. Lack of rivalries? College football has that.

The stars of college basketball are the coaches. That’s not great for a sport. College football will be that way soon. You can’t build excitement over one year stars. The only guy that’s “your guy” is the coach. You’ll still have Dillon Stoners, the blue collar 5 year workhorses, but your prospects and even stars can just leave. Even a school like OU has a COMPLETELY different roster. Yes, there were extenuating circumstances, but that’s a top 5 program. If they aren’t stable, who is?

That makes no sense. You talk about ou. Thats bs. Of course we cant compare the 2 programs.

That leaves the other 7 programs you can look at. This goes back to reality joy. You live in a fictional world. Wanting to be uo but cant. You were not elite at anything why do you except elite from gundy.

1 Like

It’s not just Gundy. It’s actually the entire country. When people on ESPN, Fox, CBS and other stations pick OU as the underdog it’s not because they hate OSU. It’s because they know who’s coaching against OU, and they know his record. You would think Robert (aka Michael) would’ve figured this out by now.

I know when you tried to say Boise was ranked at the end of the year that it was a lie. You can only call a lie a “mistake” so many times before someone figures out you’re playing smoke n’ mirrors.

The loss of the OU/Nebraska rivalry DID hurt both schools. It’s part of what completely killed Nebraska. OU tried to make a big noncon production for OU/Nebraska and the networks were like, “who cares? 11 AM.” That piece of history is now effectively dead. It’s for the boomers and historians. It weakened OU’s conference so they now get less national respect. One less big time game that everyone sees.

People will 100% stop watching. It just won’t be today or tomorrow. It’ll be like MLB where older fans will keep watching for nostalgia, but it won’t have interest for new fans. We’ll see it in 20 years.

2 Likes

Living in a fictional world is when you have to lie about Gundy and his seasons to make it look better than what it is. You would think you would stop your smoke n’ mirrors campaign after people have figured you out, but I guess not.

1 Like

In fact, the only thing fictional is Gundy thinking he’s going to be the catalyst to making OSU into a blue blood or close to it knowing he has one conference title in 17 years. That’s what he stated in his media days anyway.

Joy im going to ask you the same thing as your dad. What is this smear campaign about. Wha do you want ultimately. Why would it happen after a 12 and 2 season, if you live in reality.

Go look up the records i did manufacture the records public knowledge ( oh yea knowledge you have troubles with). Yes i counted ties. Why not you do when it fits your narrative.

Its funny you comment possible rape but still stick with briles.

Double standards all the way.

1 Like

Hang on, hang on. The NBA is not near as popular in the states as football is. They are on 2 completely separate levels. "The NBA is popular right now, so why is college football dying? " College football is not dying. By any stretch of the imagination. There are zero indicators of that happening so far. COULD IT HAVE ISSUES? Absolutely it could. But the current trajectory of college football is upward. That is not the case for college basketball. “Lack of rivalries”? TX-A&M? Ask any A&M fan if the loss of that rivalry has hurt or diminished ANYTHING to their program or fanbase. It certainly hasnt bothered the world of college football that the rivalry is not played anymore. OU-Nebraska? Has that hurt the game? Has that hurt OU or its fans? The answer is no. You guys act like Big games are going to go by the wayside. A&M sells Kyle field out MORE now in the SEC than it ever did while they were in the Big 12 with the Texas rivalry.

"The stars are the coaches…College football will be that way soon" Yeah I disagree with that. I hate the portal as you and I have had that discussion multiple times. This is still a case of the Have/Have nots. The cases of established stars leaving one blueblood for another are going to be the exception. Not the rule. Caleb Williams left OU for USC. Did that hurt college football? Absolutely not. If anyone, it hurt OU…but all OU did was set an attendance record at a meaningless Spring 3 months after he left. By the way, you were the one saying how the portal is GREAT for the game because it creates parity. Do you think the roster turnover that happened at OU (which is again likely to be the exception rather than the rule) has somehow damaged ANYTHING to that program or its fan support!!! The answer is a resounding NO.

Nba hit there peak and is on there way down.
Go look at all pro sports they peak have strikes or other money issue and they slump.
So college will too

1 Like

Come on dude…Nebraska not playing OU isnt what hurt them. Them giving up their ties to the state of Texas did. So I assume when OSU loses the Bedlam rivalry…theyll go the same route as Nebraska? OSU needs that game far more than Nebraska ever did.

OU has seemed to be just fine since Nebraska left. I have no idea what world youre living in that somehow has OU hurting somehow by losing playing Nebraska every year. Losing the Texas game would hurt. Not Nebraska. If anything has hurt OU’s “national respect” its their performance in the playoff. Not losing the Nebraska game. Thats loony tunes talk

I want to know why we aren’t the 2nd best team in the conference right now with all the trouble Baylor had been in and with Texas continuing their Suck campaign since 2010? You guys claim “second most conference wins”, but where are the trophies? Baylor is getting closer to being a BB than we are.

If Gundy wants OSU to be a BB or even close to it then he better start winning more meaningful trophies. Last time I checked most of the BB schools have more than one conference title and two NY6 bowl trophies in the last 18 years. The only people who seem to not understand this concept are you, your fake accounts, and Gundy :man_shrugging:.

That’s not creating a double standard or being fictional. Thinking you’re going to get to BB status or close to it when you don’t know how to coach championship football is what passes as fictional with flying colors.

I meant to say college basketball. The NBA’s popularity does nothing for college basketball. My bad, but that should have been obvious.

Yes, the trajectory of college football is up. Toward a sun made of gold on waxen wings of tradition and rivalry. College basketball has one saving grace: the NCAA tournament which is unique. College football’s uniqueness was school pride and rivalry. The pro sports are so corporate that rivalry exists, but has been muted, but they’re strong in college sports. College sports is killing some off and weakening the importance of others.

The loss of Nebraska absolutely hurt OU. It was a killshot for Nebraska, more like a knife wound for OU. With a strong OU-Nebraska rivalry, you’re talking about OU being able to anchor a major conference which they couldn’t do anymore, they’re probably making the playoffs more, getting seeded better, getting more primetime games, etc. They survived it and are still strong, but they weren’t unscathed.

My position is portal good, portal + NIL not good.

Rivalries don’t matter. OU losing a Texas rivalry would hurt. Which is it?

Listen, I enjoy a good discussion…but dont put words in my mouth. I never said
@jake4 “Rivalries dont matter” I said losing some that weve lost wont hurt the overall game itself. OU didnt feel any hurt whatsoever by losing the Neb game. You say Nebraska losing the OU game is “part of what completely killed Nebraska”. So then again I ask you…will OSU losing its biggest rivalry BY FAR…begin to kill OSU? It wont hurt the product. It wont hurt the fan appeal. It wont hurt the exposure. As for OU the effect of OU losing the Texas game, it would hurt recruiting. In Dallas. The Metroplex is a recruiting hotbed and OU playing a game there annually is a bonus. Losing that would hurt. Would it be tragic? No. But it would be a loss that would have ramifications.

Please, please go find me a season in which OU was left out of the playoff picture in a year in which it shouldve been?!?! You are delusional on it hurting OU. Would OU or any other program in the country do themselves a favor by having another big W in their cap? Absolutely!! Nebraska was on a decline since the 2001 season and OU continued on. Look at what OU did AFTER Nebraska left the Conf. You have zero leg to stand on in claiming OU was hurt somehow by not playing Neb.

@jake4 Seeing as you are basically claiming mass casualties to the programs who quit playing rivalry games…what will happen to OSU once they lose their absolute biggest rival?