Cale Gundy, Brother of Mike Gundy, Resigns from Oklahoma's Staff after Reading 'Hurtful' Word

Being educated does not mean you can’t be ignorant. Guess you are proof of that.

4 Likes

Put on your headphones. Blast your favorite rap song into your ears. Sing it. Go into your place of business, while surrounded by African Americans and do it. See how long you’re employed

2 Likes

Ron Burgundy got canned for something similar :sunglasses::sunglasses:

I’m glad this happened. hope common sense wins out in this even tho it seems Americans have lost it because of politics. It’s time people start fighting back aginst this type of stuff. It’s gotta end. This is the most stupid childish stuff.

2 Likes

Wtf. Really and that’s why it’s not even close. Those are two totally different situations man. Different settings. But whatever

1 Like

Well, you think Mike Gundy is a good coach. So, here we are. Two ignorant fools.

I think we all know the word he said. If a person in that situation is reading what someone else wrote then he’s QUOTING said person. This overly PC world is disgusting. Of course he could’ve paraphrased and said “N-bomb” or what some of my black friends use in certain situations although they are borrowing something from my mom’s culture, misappropriation much, hah hah, i.e. “ninja”.

Cale should’ve moved on a lot time ago and tried to get a HC gig at a smaller school. Why he went to that prep school in abNorman is beyond me, must like the Greek life, which is totally different from Stilly. There they take it very seriously, as in way.too.serious.

3 Likes

If you’re gonna make sure you don’t use the “er” version is all I suggest. I went to school w/ a lot of black kids, some I consider good friends to this day, but honestly we heard the N-bombs so much we started using it amongst our small group, but not ever directed at black folks.

And lastly, some people believe by using it this way it disempowers the word, but that’s certainly a very debatable subject.

2 Likes

You use the “AA” term, huh? I asked some black friends about that when it came into PCville, they all said, just use “black”.

@ chanceanova He NEVER used it on this board as far as I know. You want people banned for things they do outside of here or what they think? Geez, talk about overly PC.

@ yo1 One is racist, the other is a form, usually, of endearment. Wild, ain’t it? Even the Spanish word for black is offensive to some but we can still say/write things like the Negro Leagues, yeah?! ANY word can be said with malice, even words that aren’t racist epithets. As a minority I got called a few things in schools but I never thought it was malicious cause if so then I would’ve confronted that person. We’re all skating on thin ice these days, we’re er’body is overly sensitive…

3 Likes

Maybe ban FireGumby if he used the n-word but dropping people for their opinion is a slippery slope at best and not what a free thinking society does.

2 Likes

Well Cale was already on staff, for a very long period of time btw, so the current HC let him stay. That’s a bit different than hiring him. I’m also sure that Cale was rather entrenched into OU football and believe it or not it’s hard to just kick someone out who may have many supporters and probably some in high places. Again the main thing is the story, it’s just too weak for me to believe that is all there is to the situation.

3 Likes

Still got my post taken down. Lol.

He’s a total idiot !! Should have been banned long ago. Nothing but garbage comes out of his month

1 Like

So Cale saying the word out loud was so offensive ? The kid was handed a pad to take notes on wasn’t he ? Notes on football session and he’s writing a rap song with the word in it !! Good for Cale, he should have called his azz out

2 Likes

Totally agree💯. If it’s an offensive enough word to everybody then both need to see the same shame and punishment. I mean we all want equality still right?

2 Likes

Interesting that you support the use of the word. I think your post should be taken down. What do you think @ CHANCEANOVA??? Can the board please review this statement from MICHAEL13.

To the BOARD, when you remove one post at least have the balls to be consistent.

2 Likes

I agree that already being on staff is different than being hired from outside the organization. But you can see from how this has been handled, who has issued any statement in regards to this…that this was Brents call all the way. If it was his call to accept and/or encourage a resignation, then it was definitely his call to hire whoever the hell he wants. These big name programs arent being told who they have to keep. I find it comical when people (not saying you are one of them) act like coaches HAD to keep certain guys…but are allowed to fire them later. That doesnt make sense to me. My OU brethren would say the same about when Riley kept Mike Stoops. No one at OU is forcing the HC to keep or let go of anyone. Thats solely up to the HC. I know for a fact how the baseball and softball staffs are ran, and those are done exclusively by the HC. So id assume its the same way with football. As for Cale having all this support…hes been at OU since 1999 and has never been a coordinator. If he had this massive amount of backers, they have lobbied for him to be far more than what hes been.

@bruce4 Hopefully none of that came off as coming at you. I appreciate the discussion

Yea that’s part of the slippery slope I’m talking about

2 Likes

Nope none at all, It’s your opinion and you are entitled to it and I do agree with it for the most part. HC’s do have a lot of power in deciding who is on their staff. My point is that there are always other forces at play that can get in the way and sometimes it takes time to overcome them. Someone who has been around 20+ years is going to likely have some allies who have to be dealt with. As an aside I was watching 365 sports on YT yesterday and they showed a statement put out by Brent that is in serious conflict with the facts stated in Cale’s statement, Brent kinda threw Cale under the bus IMO, and this is from a guy who I have heard is supposedly really good friends with Cale. Pretty odd behavior for a good friend IMO. Again still subscribed to the “there is more to the story” clan

3 Likes