Cale Gundy, Brother of Mike Gundy, Resigns from Oklahoma's Staff after Reading 'Hurtful' Word

FireGundy did NOT use it here, how/why should he be banned??? We/you either believe in Free Speech or we/you don’t. Or are we at that point where we don’t want that right for people whose opinions, beliefs, etc don’t coincide with our own??? #HypocritesWeBe or naw?

2 Likes

I agree. It’s highly likely Venables was told he had to retain Gundy but in reality he wanted to hire his own guy! More to it, has to be. He knows what Gundy was doing, i.e. giving this kid who wasn’t paying attention, some grief for it, which is what good coaches should do. Otherwise what you’re going to end up with is players who have a sense of entitlement…and that never ends up well.

2 Likes

It happens all the time!

All accounts I’ve heard, which are from what I’d call very reliable sources, say that Cale repeated the word twice. I e never heard anyone refute that? Cale didn’t in his statement. I thought Brent expounded on the circumstances with his tweet. I agree that it had a tinge of “throwing a guy under the bus”. I thought it was unnecessary. I also though felt like it cleared a little of what happened up & ,in my opinion, validated why Brent agreed with the resignation.

I’m curious at to what you felt “was in serious conflict” with what Cale said? Cale admitted he shouldn’t have said the word. Said it was unintentional. The only new news that came out of Brent’s was that it was used more than once.

Hold the fort Tea, I didn’t say FG should be banned, just the opposite in fact. Maybe perhaps you are mixing me up with someone else.

1 Like

yep Gundy was probably working on behavior correction withe a student athlete, possibly made an honest mistake and opened the door for what the HC really wanted.

3 Likes

Well if Brent was really remorseful about having to fire Cale and was a true friend he would have left out the “multiple times” and a lot of the other wording in his statement. Cale couldn’t refute things Brent said because his statement came out first. Also Cale’s daughter posted this statement "“Interesting you told your players to keep their mouths shut about what really happened and their heads down,” her tweet read. “The truth will always come to fruition, it’s only a matter of time.” I have a pretty good suspicion that she knows something closer to the truth than the rest of us. This is additional evidence that we are not being told all that there is.

2 Likes

Cale was trying to make a point to me. The kid is writing a rap song on and OU pad that he should have be taking notes from a film session. Period. Kid was wrong, Cale was doing a little discipline and the whole deal goes haywire. Why would Brett want to fire probably OU best recruiter the last 10 years or more. Makes no sense unless Libby didn’t like Cale

4 Likes

Yeah, there’s a guy in here who’s being overly sensitive and not you. I regret the error, sir, but didn’t mean to target you w/ that, anyone who thinks he should be banned for stuff he does outside of this forum. :joy:

2 Likes

I think it’s just one of those deals where some higher-up said you have to retain Cale, exactly for what you said, but Venables probably did not want to and wanted his own guy in there. Has to be something along those lines IMO…

@ KetchupSicle: Probably cause the N-bomb was in the kid’s notes more than once. Verbatim, but Venables just had to point that out…throwing Cale under the bus!

3 Likes

Just a matter of opinion. Agree to disagree.

1 Like

" if Brent was really remorseful about having to fire Cale and was a true friend" In the words of Dan Hawkins IT AINT INTRAMURALS BROTHER!! This is arguably the 2nd biggest sport in the country at one of the most visible universities in college football. No one is bigger than the program and no relationship is bigger than the program. You make a decision that you feel like is best for the program, not the individual.

"Cale couldnt refute things Brent said"…Yes he could. Why couldnt he? Again, I wish Brent had left it alone and not put out the 2nd statement. But I also admit that it put some clarity in my opinion to what actually happened. Cales initial statement led a bunch of people to believe it was accidentally read and said 1 time. That wasnt the truth. I dont think Cale intentionally misled people by the statement, but I think Brent wanted to clear that part up. But no one can prevent Cale from responding too.

As for the daughters statement, I think shes interpreted the “dont comment” on it as something sinister. ALL PROGRAMS, AT ALL LEVELS issue edicts within the lockerroom on what not to speak on. This is no different. I know for a fact that Mon morning Brent told the players that “we are about football from here on out. Ill handle the media. You handle faith, academics and football” It certainly isnt in an attempt to hide something that went on. This is 2022. Everything gets out. If I end up being wrong and something comes out that there is more to this…ill come on here with hat in hand and admit I was wrong.

A lot of the actions going on with both sides are normal prelude to legal proceedings which I assume Cale is prepared to take if certain things don’t go the correct way. Would explain Cale not commenting further among other things. Only time can tell and perhaps we will never know. I just hope that Cale can come out of this whole deal such that he can join the group just north of his former employer. Dreaming of more sweet revenge by Americas brightest orange.

1 Like

Well said. I would bet Cale ends up taking some time off. For one, the timing is such that staffs are full. He may resurface with Bob in Dallas. I hope he lands on his feet, which im sure he will.

What do you think has gone on that “we” dont know about? Im just curious as to what you really think happened? I know its speculation, but you seem like a good one on here whos got the capability to be impartial enough to discuss it.

1 Like

For once, I agree with you.

1 Like

Crap that is funny. You are a funny guy.

Sweet revenge? What would that be? Winning two games in a row? Ha ha ha.

2 Likes

I’m the same. I hope he is able to continue in life as he wishes, either in retirement, working another coaching job, etc. As for what really is going on? It’s anybody’s guess. I’m just not convinced that the statements made public are all there is to the story, no clue what the story might be though.

2 Likes

Naaa we’ve won two in a row plenty of times, unless you are referring to the series with OU. if that is the case then yes. Wouldn’t it be great to take OU down with Cale on our side of the field? Perhaps using some of that sooner magic that Cale has learned over the years. Me thinks that would get under their skin properly

2 Likes

I’ll say it: I want no part of Cale joining Mike’s staff here in Stillwater. Those who think he would be a great fit here are probably in the minority. He chose not to follow big brother to Stilly in the late 80’s, early 90’s…why ask him to follow now that he’s out of a job that he chose to leave?

1 Like

I know nothing about Cale, I just think it would be fun to take him in and use his skills to help beat OU and get under their skin, twist the knife a bit, etc

2 Likes