ESPN's Paul Finebaum on Bedlam Split: 'Nobody Cares. We're Talking About Stillwater, Oklahoma'

What was the reason they gave as to why they were “pissed”? And honestly ask them if theyd rather see OSU come to Norman every other year or have annual home games against either Bama/Georgia/LSU/Florida/Arkansas/A&M?

Good question. They’re probably going to lose a lot of those games and not make the playoffs, so is that going to cost them more than they make in home ticket sales? Hard to say. The TV money is what they’re really after.

If the SEC is so superior a conference, is OU going to end up as a middle of the pack team? So, are we talking money or football success?

Does Nebraska miss playing Kansas or are they happy because they get Ohio State and Michigan home games? The answer is yes.

2 Likes

The TV money is divvied out equally amongst the SEC teams. Vanderbilt still gets the check. You make no point. OU isnt going to lose home-ticket sales by adding the Conf teams theyll be seeing. You know better than that.

I have never once siad anything about OU going over there and winning like they do in the Big 12. See…thats me being capable of putting my fandom to the side and speak honestly. You know that I asked…is the SEC being the superior Conf a myth?

If youd rather see a game against Kansas as opposed to Ohio St or Mich…then youre not the same as me.

They enjoyed bedlam? Also they weren’t normal sooner fans who live their life vicariously through the sooner football team. It’s a game they have got to watch every year and no matter what the record is there a lot of people who consider it a rivalry game.

1 Like

I’m saying Nebraska would rather see numbers under the W column.

2 Likes

Hey im an OU fan and I absolutely consider it a rivalry game. Ive said multiple times that since 2000, its a game that worries me. OSU is a very good program thats capable of beating OU in any given year. But Bedlam to the vast majority of OU fans is not on the level of rivalry as OU-TX. I know thats the game that is more important to me on a yearly basis. I hate Texas. OSU doesnt bother me. Id root for Russia before id root for Texas. I have zero games in which I root AGAINST the Cowboys.

1 Like

I agree. Thats an obvious statement.

I tip my hat to Finebaum. He loves football, but couldn’t play or coach the game with any success if his life depended on it. Yet, he found a way to make a good living from football. In his daily radio show, he incites moronic SEC fans (not that all conferences don’t have some moronic fans) into blithering adamantly like the idiots that they are. I, too, have zero respect for the ego-centric mouse of man known as Finebaum. That is a reference to his worth, not only his physical stature, or lack thereof. ESPN should actually be a bit ashamed of the affiliation, if not for the ratings of his shows as every SEC fan who tunes in will probably buy the foot cream or arch supports that get sold during commerical breaks. jmho…

We need to do some rescheduling to save Bedlam as soon as possible.

GO POKES!! :football: :cowboy_hat_face: :football: :cowboy_hat_face: :football:

1 Like

I understand that, my point to the watermelon dude is that there are still plenty of fans that care about the bedlam game.

2 Likes

Ones perception on Bedlam depends on how old they are. My Dad and his era…think Bedlam and OSU is a joke. The annoying lil brother. Guys in my era feel differently. We grew up in the 90’s and beyond. Bedlam has been a competetive game during that time. I have been on this site for about 2 years. I will say that the OU homers are absolute fools…but boy there is plenty of homer’ism on this site too. Finding people that are capable of being impartial…is hard to do for whatver school you root for

1 Like

Certainly. Oxford definition of myth: “a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events. Ex: ancient Celtic myths”

I picture Finebaum in animal furs with his clan gathered around the crackling fire at night, spinning his folklore, his audience hanging on every word.

2 Likes

No one outside of Alabama cares about the Iron Bowl. No one outside of Washington cares about the Apple Cup. No one outside of South Carolina cares about the Palmetto Bowl. No one cares about the Paul Bunyan Trophy outside of Michigan. No one outside of Oregon cares about the “Civil War” (the college rivalry). No one outside of Utah cares about the Holy War. No one outside of Northern California cares about the Big Game. No one outside of Mississippi cares about the Egg Bowl. No one outside of Georgia cares about Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate. No one outside Indiana cares about the Old Oaken Bucket. No one outside of North Carolina cares about the Victory Bell.

See how this works? Most people (unless they have no life or personality of their own) like the teams where they went to school or the teams around where they live. I care about OSU because my family has had three generations graduate from there and I now live nearby. I’ll watch an OU or Texas or Iowa State game if it’s on tv and I have nothing else to do because we’re in the same conference. I’ll sometimes watch Alabama or Washington or Florida State or whoever happens to be good and on tv at the time because I like the game of football, but I don’t see out any of those games because I really don’t care and they do not affect my life in any shape or form. That’s why in-state and regional rivalries are good for the sport. People who are close to them will watch and maybe give their neighbor a hard time about it. People around the country who like football will watch when the teams are good. I doubt anyone from Washington or Virginia or Florida or Michigan watch Bedlam unless both teams are good and its on national tv, just like we don’t watch their games unless the teams are goo and on national tv. But, you can bet your butt fans in those state watch their own rivalries.

4 Likes

I can’t believe I’m going to defend Robert’s spelling and grammar here, but, come on, man. Billy Madison was a stupid, vapid movie that barely had any scenes worth a chuckle. Quoting the most overquoted scene in dumb movie is not a power move. It is not burn. It simple shows that one is incapable of one’s own original thought.

1 Like

I listen to his show time to time. Sometimes he’s on about things and most of the time he’s way out there. He’s nothing more than a paid spokes person for the SEC with Diva clout. Notice he really doesn’t have a favorite team only who ever wins the SEC Championship and plays for the natty. I’ve been tempted to call in with a fake deep south accent and poke at him. He’s never played a down in any level of football just a paid die hard fan of the SEC with no real knowledge or heart for the entirety of college football who pushes propaganda. He won’t give much credit to the non sec schools who beat them in non conference games. When Alabama and Georgia becomes the now Nebraska he’ll pick another team to rep. He was for the Big 10 and SEC playing for the natty every year. Now has slowed down about it. See nothing more than a paid spokes person.

3 Likes

Have you ever been to Alabama, though? I know Oklahoma is no paradise and is backwards and racist, but Alabama is only slightly better than Mississippi in the most awful places (and people) in America list.

Truth right there. Pretty much what I just said.

1 Like

"No one outside of Alabama cares about the Iron Bowl" You are wrong sir. Last years Bedlam game was the most viewed since 2013 and had 6.4 million viewers. You wanna know how many people watched the the Iron Bowl? 10.3 million. It peaked at 17 million. That game matters.

That wss uo highest watch game maybe Alabama is a better bb. Its not always about the lil brother. Maybe they want to see another fg go for a td

1 Like

…and said quite well, at that! :sunglasses:

:cowboy_hat_face: :football: :cowboy_hat_face: :football: :cowboy_hat_face:

Nice zerOU spelling. I’m sure you never went to a class there though like most zerOU fans, LOL.

1 Like