Five Thoughts on Oklahoma State's 74-69 Overtime Victory against Texas Tech

They did play a good game without Cade for most of the game. Go back to the 2015 Bedlam game after the first quarter was over we didn’t have a prayer of keeping it close.

That’s what happens when you recruit better players to replace one that might get injured. You give yourself a better chance of maybe winning instead of guaranteeing yourself a loss because you refuse to recruit better than 38th in the country.

Thanks for clarifying!!

Look u can bring in any of the 89 losses in football to defend ur statement but that team got beat by Baylor bad.
Sugar coat it all u want. 15 point loses are what they are. Bad loss.

I don’t think Gundy’s issue is lack of wins vs quality teams, he has at least 1-2 of those every single year. In fact, he’s done pretty well vs ranked teams. I’d like to see his record against all ranked teams not named Ou, I bet it’s pretty good. No idea if it’s accurate as it’s hard to find anything on it, but it looks like Gundy is 33-34 against ranked teams. Assuming Ou has been ranked every time we’ve played them other than 2012 (I think that’s right) that means he’s 31-19 vs ranked teams not named Ou. Not sure if that’s right.

It’s his bad losses vs terrible teams that kills them every year. If hed stop losing to 4-8 teams once or twice a year he’d probably have 5-6 conference title births by now, even with the almost guaranteed loses to Ou every year. Alas, he never learns…

They’ve been to the tournament 2 times total in the 53 years they’ve been coached by someone other than Sutton, Iba, or Ford. That’s less than 4% of the time. :grimacing: Getting to the tournament appears to be a tall mountain to climb for this program, and Boynton looks like he’s just about punched his ticket. The only way I see them falling out would be if he gets obliterated 4 straight games to end the season, but I doubt that. Even if they did go 0-4 (I don’t think they will) people will know he just played 4 straight games vs top 10 teams, 3 of those on the road, and probably put them in anyways. Just one more win in these 4 would pretty much guarantee a spot. At this point they’re just fighting for seeding really

It doesn’t have to do with what Steve Prohm is paid specifically. It’s your replacement cost and/or what you’d have to match to keep him. How much are you going to hire HCMB’s replacement for if he’s not feeling the love (like HCBU wasn’t as soon as he got an offer out)? Alternatively, how much would someone pay to take a flyer on HCMB given his recruiting success at the very least? I 100% guarantee you that both of those answers are not under two million dollars.

So, yes, his contract is his contract, and I don’t agree with the tenor of this article at all, which makes it sound like a knee-jerk overreaction. But, when you’re trying to grow and sustain success in the second biggest program in your department, you have to know when investing a little now can keep you from paying a lot later. This feels like the sweet spot in that equation, and given Holder’s two MASSIVE FAILURES in that same decision with Ford (overpaid way too early) and Underwood (played hardball and got embarrassed), I would think he’d avoid pushing risk too far here.

Plus, I don’t like to attribute much to it, but you have one coach who got the entire school swarmed for something painted as racist and you have another one who is leading the charge in uniting and honoring black coaches. If you’re running a business (especially one that profits off of attracting young black men), you need to acknowledge and be mindful of the value of that.

We’ll see what this year brings. I don’t think any negotiations need to happen until after the season anyway, especially with the next recruiting class looking sparse. But, then again, maybe a big deal for HCMB would juice that number and you just put in a low buy-out so it doesn’t have teeth.

Dude, go back to what you said. Are you really sitting here saying you’re not sure if we can call Kalib Boone a “recruiting blunder” or not? Don’t move the goal post.

I mean Eddie made it to the sweet 16 in his first year. Growing up with parents that coached both basketball and football, basketball is much simpler on the coaching end. Boynton has had a good year and I’m glad but we’ve been making the games ugly to win with the supposed #1 pick in the upcoming draft. 4 years in and still can’t figure out the Xs and Os , a decent inbound play would be nice, that being said I hope we continue to win ugly or not

All good points but sutton is special case. Plus Hamilton did have a good senior class set up for eddie.

Definitely did. He should’ve been making the tournament, Hamilton that is

Playing against the #2 team in the country and you say 15 points is a bad loss? To the #2 team in the country? Without two of your best players?

It’s not a good loss, but you act like they lost by more than 30 when they played that team closely for most of the game. A bad loss in when you only have one player go down and you still lose by 35 when the game wasn’t even close 75% of the time.

I’m definitely not calling it a bad loss and our cowboys fought hard, I hope we play them close next time or beat them, but Baylor can beat us 20 with Cade or not. Them kids can go

This right here!!! If your going to bring in talented young men I think it’s important that you have a coach they are willing to play for as well. This helps boost recruiting and people need to be mindful this is Boynton’s first term as a HC.

It’s not like he started out as a HC at Stephen F. Austin or Northern Arizona. He went straight to a P5 HC job and with a little time I THINK he will get better. Depending on what happens this year and next if they are successful then you start talking about a longer term contract.

When Ford was hired we knew he could recruit, but we also knew before hiring him he wasn’t too impressive in his time at UMASS. He fell into Sean and Eddie Sutton’s recruits, won a tournament game, and that was all she wrote. This is why I always go back to saying you need a coach that can get his players motivated to play the game as well.

Joe. U Really r stupid i just laugh and laugh. Have u ever actually meet a live coach besides ur Jr high one.

Why yes I have. I met Bob Stoops at a leadership conference in Tulsa back in 2013. Motivating players was one of his key points. Now while I’m an OSU fan and I hate OU with every cell in my body I respected the man enough that he wasn’t ignorant of what he was talking about.

Now considering he won a national title and several conference titles and explained how the program was ran I would assume the man who revived their football program would know more about coaching and leadership than I would have. Have you ever spoken to or listened to a collegiate coach in the same room in your life?

U really r a piece of work. Did he buy u drinks before u gave in.
I will say one thing joe ur not smart, but what u believe in u really believe.
Kind of like a religious zealot.

Your just mad because you questioned me and I gave you a solid answer (Which I really DID meet with and spoke to him).

You don’t find anything wrong with this sentence?

On the bright side we now have two 4 star commits for the 2022 football class

1 Like

Oh see how stupid u r I believe u. Why would I doubt u
Joe u really think u can get me mad.

Hell yeah!!! We just need to get at least four more.