Gundy Says 'Black Lives Matter to Me,' in Public Apology following Turbulent Monday

29% of black lives are taken in the mothers womb. Now that’s something to be upset about.

1 Like

Imagine how well the apology would’ve been received if he had taken time to get a shave and a haircut?

The scraggly-look is old. Gundy is not a base guitar player for a 70’s rock band. He represents Oklahoma State as the highest-profile on campus. It’s obvious he’s not going to change, tho’; so it’s time for Holder and Hargis to step in and tell him to “clean up.”

Property taxes help for school funding. Low real estate and property values means less funding. More crime in an area means lower real estate value.

If we lower crime in the area property values increase and so do property taxes. The area starts becoming an attractive destination for families.

The more people moving in means more funding for the school district with better educational opportunities. You solve the crime and real estate value problem then you help solve the funding problem.

Yes I understand the current method. It doesn’t have to remain how it’s done. Perhaps you should consider the possibility of flipping the way things have to go. Rather than lower crime - better education it could be better education - lower crime.

1 Like

You just got debunked my man. You have no more credibility anymore. So go tell all your friends all the facts that were laid out to you so we don’t ever have to go through the facts aging. Seems that you have alittle agenda aginsts whites by the way you are ignorant on the facts you trying to prove.

Nope, just have a mom and dad in the house hold and teach them all the things that need to be taught to kids like respect others and your elders and so on so on. Listen it’s that easy. Crazy!Crazy!

No, it isn’t.

2 Likes

In the 90’s in Bartlesville I had a friend threatened to be shot if he came to a particular church again simply because he was black. It was an anonymous letter. About 10 years ago, in east Texas I had a pastor go on an hour rant about 2 black people visiting his church, assuming they were with the NAACP trying to force the church to integrate. That church had a split about 5 years later when the next pastor allowed a black man to join. In the split 4 deacons left. I was on staff at that church and was fired in part because I called them out on their racism in other aspects. I invited black friends and was told they couldn’t come because they weren’t safe. I can’t tell you the number or racist jokes I hear all the time, just because people think racism is funny. To think that systemic racism isn’t still very prevalent is to turn a very deaf hear and blind eye to our society. Perhaps you should consider talking to more people about their life situations to understand what they struggle with instead of projecting your life on to theirs. In other words, just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

2 Likes

There’s no hope for your culture then and this is why white people get so mad because you guys won’t knowledge or can’t comprehend which ever it is, you guys have to see this and advocate really hard on this subject to meet the goal ahead. I really feel like I’m trying to explain something to my six-year-old daughter about finances when I get a response like yours.:roll_eyes: either you guys fix one of the most eye dropping statistics in your culture or you will be fighting forever with no result.

What makes you think I’m black?

1 Like

Two isolated incidents in one small town in 30 years??? Go fight another fight brother. Iv got stories in the 90’s where white boys would get jumped all the time by blacks and we couldn’t even go in the east land mal because there was a apartment complex near there that housed mosttly blacks and they would go to the mal and if we even looked at them they would jump us. Your points are the same for both sides and people like you “white “shamers” need to be checked at the front door and called out for your rhetoric.

Because your unwillingness to understand facts that are laid out in front of you and you ignore them and don’t respond to the facts. You have an agenda that can’t let you see the problems facing your culture because you so focused on White Shaming. Pretty simple really. We are doing are part now you guys need to do your part.

Who is “we?”

1 Like

You deflect the facts like your doing know. I can’t have an adult conversation with you so bye.

Here’s a fact for you - I’m white. I find it interesting that you believe that you’re doing your part, but cannot fathom that anyone who isn’t a football player or black would think that the players have a point and should stand up for what they believe in and deserve to feel comfortable in the program. Has it occurred to you that maybe “your part” is to listen with an open mind rather than reject out of hand?

What you seem to attribute to black pathology, single parent households, is actually a predictable result of how we have prosecuted the drug war and it has had numerous downstream cultural effects. It is no surprise that there are a lot of single parent house holds when we have jailed one half of so many of those households.

Again, we have set things up in a certain way. You advocate for maintaining them as they are. There is a real question if those ways are the best way to achieve the best outcomes for everyone. There is no reason school districts have to be funded by property taxes within that school district. The quality of your public school education should not depend on your parents’ ability to buy a home in a desirable zip code.

1 Like

Do you think a version of school choice would help this situation? @brent

1 Like

I think all options should be on the table. I know there are concerns about what wide spread school choice would look like in practice, but I haven’t really looked into it too deeply.

Three incidents in two completely different states, one was about 25 years ago, the other about 10. Both of which are among MANY others. I recently had a lady I had never met before tell me in a grocery store that my children were so well behaved and must be because they are white. My black neighbor has been pulled over within the last year and had his car searched simply because he was waiting for a client in a neighborhood that isn’t typically inhabited by black people. I could go on, but there really isn’t any need for it because if you don’t see it, it’s simply because you really are going out of your way not to. I haven’t even touched the issues I saw while working as a corrections officer. There is no ‘white shaming’ here, bud, I’m just telling you what I’ve seen and experienced. I’m a white male in my 40’s, I just happened to interact with a lot of people from multiple demographics so I see this issue a lot. I have lived in Oklahoma and Texas and Lousiana, in small towns like Bartlesville, OK, Henderson, TX, and Pecos, TX, and in large metro areas like Baton Rouge, DFW & OKC, and yes, the racism was very active in every single one of those communities, it isn’t about population density because racist are in every single community in the US. Again, if you want to live with your blinders on and pretend that it isn’t there that is your choice, but that doesn’t make you right.

I’m told that they do a version of that in Lafayette, LA high schools and that it is helpful for some kids. Each school has different strengths like one is known as the best art school and one has the better STEM department. The deal is you have to apply to a school outside of your district and you usually get in but if you have poor grades or discipline issues then you have to go back to the school in the district you live in. I don’t really know any more than that, but it sounds interesting.

I go to all the Oklahoma City public schools a few times a year to teach finance to middle school and high school students. The main issue I see is the majority of kids just have no drive. None. The other day in a PC middle school classroom, almost no kids had a dream job or a dream car. I was trying to get them to say “I want to be a pro athlete or president or (heaven forbid) a youtube star.” Or, “I want to drive a corvette!” Nothing. One kid wanted to be a barber and own his own barber shop. One kid out of 24 kids had a dream. That was so sad to me.

3 Likes

I think that type of program is a good idea. It also kinda plays into what I think about your second paragraph. So much of school isn’t about finding what kids are gifted at and empowering them to make the use of those gifts, it’s trying to get them to memorize stuff so the schools funding or control isn’t cut.