Hot Take of the Day: Why LeBron > MJ

Is it though? Part of the reason why Jordan could score so much is he was quicker and faster and could get that step to make a shot. Today’s players are longer and quicker than the brick walls that stood in the post with lead in their feet.

I refuse to believe that Jordan would average more points in today’s game. Maybe the same, but the athletes today are just different beasts to get around. Could you imagine a Giannis or Kawhi guarding him? Jeeeez they’d put the clamp down.

Two responses.

1. “The Jordan Rules” by the Pistons (and Knicks, and eventually everyone) would not be allowed today. I tell my boys that Steph Curry and Kevin Durant would not have survived the late 80’s-mid-90’s. Without teams playing with that style, Jordan would have had a clear path to the rim regularly.

2. This quote really limits your perspective. That Jordan… well, yeah. LeBron was better than that Jordan.

Jordan would have loved that. And gone home with the W.

1 Like

This amazing thing called the internet and recordings happened though. And I’ve watched many MJ games. I realize that most of the people on this forum are older and entrenched in “MJ is the best!” Because it’s the easy take. And talking down to those of us, who watch literal years of basketball footage because we’re freaks, saying “well you didn’t see it first hand” is a lame argument.

Jordan would have loved to see a seven foot tall and 7’3” wingspan and running right next to him the entire time Because he’s just as quick and Jordan? Good one.

I gotta say, though we’re all disagreeing, this has been fun. Sports talk is the best and so much better than government and all the blah blah blah in the corona thread. Will I change your mind on this? Nope, but it’s a fun debate about something we’ll never actually know and it doesn’t step on anyone’s beliefs and what not.

<3 you all. Even though you’re wrong :yum:

2 Likes

I am sure you’ve seen lots of highlights and many old games. And I’m not one who’s locked on “old time” players exclusively. For example, nobody has shot the ball like Curry before. He - along with the coaching and teammates that supported it - completely changed the game. LeBron has some physical tools that Jordan never had. But Jordan’s mental toughness was on another level. That’s the difference for me. I’ve watched LeBron shrink away in big moments multiple times (he’s had some great finishes as well, of course). But Jordan willed his team to wins repeatedly (usually over teams I was adamantly pulling for like the 93 Suns). Bottom line, not sure LeBron can pass him in my mind. Somebody else? Perhaps. [The only GOAT who can “never” be surpassed in my mind is Barry Sanders, but I own my irrational alignment to that opinion. :slight_smile: ]

3 Likes

People talk about Jordan’s teams like he played with 5-6 all-stars at a time and had all the same teammates for his 6 rings. When in reality he played with a bunch of different role players and Pippen. He just had role players who filled their roles perfectly during those championship seasons.

1 Like

This argument would hold a whole lot more water if he had done better with the obscene amount of talent he had in Miami. Two in a row is impressive… But two major issues when compared against MJ.

1. LBJ was playing in the east when the east was on the decline. The East was loaded when MJ played (both spans).
  2. The Heat were more loaded than the Bulls (Wade and Bosch > Pippin and The Worm and the Heat supporting cast was stronger as well).

I still think you could shave with the difference, but MJ did more with a bit less in a conference that was more competitive. He also did it with one organization and coach where he wasn’t pretending he was Pete Rose (well except for the gambling…there was that).

Thunder fans that started watching the NBA in 2008 need to ride the pine on this one.

1 Like

Do you remember what happened when LeBron got beat in the 2010 Eastern Conference Finals?

I’m sorry your choice of franchise in the NBA is utter trash. My dear David, I’m an NBA freak. I’ve watched more basketball since the NBA shut down than you probably have the past two years. I study the game and love the NBA more than a person should. Especially one who makes no money from the obsession. If you have something to say on the debate besides “thunder fans suck” basically, go for it! Tell me how you think MJ is better. But if your take is to discount what I say because I have been a fan of a team since their creation then what are you even doing here?

preach

I guess you’ve never watched LBJ cry after he gets hand checked?? Hand checking WAS defense in Jordan’s day. Jordan did what he did with people literally in his jock. Put Jordan in the league with these rules and he averages 50 a game.

1 Like

Everyone does that as the NBA rules have changed. Guarantee Jordan would too because he’s a smart player. You’re insane to think a physical freak like Lebron would be bothered by physical play. He’s the greatest athlete to ever play the game.

No, no no, Senor Boone. Do not feed the beast.

1 Like

He wouldn’t be bothered, necessarily, but he would have a much harder time. The Bad Boys…the Karl Malone Jazz team that lost to MJ twice…the Celtics in the 80’s…Lebron would not have had a fun time.

James Harden wouldn’t even be able to exist in the NBA during those times. He would just quit.

2 Likes

Nothing can contain me now.

I’m fully aware none of you will agree. But that’s part of why I keep coming back at the responses :joy:

2 Likes

It’s like on Ghostbusters, when all of the ghosts and monsters escape from the machine they use to imprison them. Except in this version, it’s the “Spicy Takes Prison”.

2 Likes

This is true. However, Lebron sure would’ve been hit harder. But then he just steps back or gets isolated one of the big guys and goes by them. The big guys of that era couldn’t move like now. They hit hard, but they’d be missing a lot. Just like they did with MJ. And then when they did get to hit him. He could still finish through that because he’s a freak of nature.