Michael 27 Comments

Update: The only comments that will show up on the site are from trust level 3 folks on the forum. All PFB+ member will enter as trust level 3 going forward, and I will move those of us who are already in PFB+ to trust level 3 today. You can theoretically reach trust level 3 if you’re not PFB+, but it’s very difficult and you can’t get flagged all the time (i.e. Michael27 can’t reach trust level 3 so his comments will still show here but not on the site).

Also, I bumped the threshold for what shows up on the site up a little bit. Now you need at least 3 likes on a comment for it to show (you can bypass this by posting something awesome that a lot of people like).

14 Likes

I’d love to hear ideas on how to make it a better situation.

1 Like

Thanks for this, Kyle! I appreciate you taking our concerns seriously. We don’t want to stifle conversation or even stupid opinions, but a lot of us saw some danger in what was being said possibly affecting recruit decisions.

7 Likes

It’s hard. I thought you came up with the best compromise possible when you made the change. I don’t have a good idea. Could get much better once competition resumes.

So based on the pull across rules, what got that comment posted under the article was @leecothran linking to it to make fun of it?

I just changed these a few minutes ago so they did not apply to anything before like 10-15 min. ago. I don’t know how/if they retroactively affect comments being pulled across.

Absolutely. I don’t have all the answers. I want this site to be the best place possible for Pokes to gather and chat and discuss. You guys are the lifeblood though. Other people will sign up and comment, not because of me or the 149 other Kyles but because of you and how much you do or don’t like it. I also think this is a decent compromise to the “you have to pay to comment” notion. You don’t have to pay to comment here, but you do have to pay to get your comments shown on the site.

7 Likes

What seems to be the issue is that comments on articles are driven by trolls. That was true when it was Tuono and RK, and it’s true today with all of the randos. So even if a lot of the conversations in the megathreads would be better suited to comments on one of the articles, no one wants to put it there because of the likelihood the conversation gets derailed in a worse way than the megathreads do.

I’m not sure what these trolls are using for an email but it’s almost certain the variations on the “Kyle” name are all one guy. Surely they can be permanently nuked somehow.

2 Likes

Right. I was just sort of amused by it looking like a real Streisand Effect situation with the particular comment that caused this.

I think that’s a reasonable compromise for sure and should hopefully shut down a massive chunk of the jerk posting. I’d just hate for Enrique Cruz, for example, to see the terrible comments encouraging him to go elsewhere and even for a second believe that he’s not wanted here or that he would be making a mistake coming here.

2 Likes

I agree!

1 Like

At the same time, I really would like to get the free portion of the forum cranked up. I think it feeds into the + side nicely.

1 Like

If we don’t come up with a quick secret handshake and code words I’m going to be really disappointed

Memo - handshakes are permanently banned henceforth.

8 Likes

Honestly to me, regarding the issue that most of the PFB+ crowd stays away from the free forum, like @Alum_in_AZ was referencing, is just due to the yelling/trollishness of the environment.

It’s the content and volume of the posts over there which unfortunately, is people related. So short of just canning it, sadly I’m not smart enough to come up with a solution.

In an ideal world for PFB, the plus members would interact over there, but not too much, sort of becoming an advertisement for PFB+ membership. But if we interacted too much over there, just as if it was the regular boards over here, then how would a non plus member be incentivized to join PFB+? Not an easy situation to find the center line.

1 Like

On my way

2 Likes

whid1

8 Likes

When I read @TotallyNotRook comment, you immediately came to mind. :joy:

3 Likes

Seriously please nuke all of the"Kyle" accounts. It’s obviously one person, surely that’s a TOS violation.

1 Like