Mike Gundy Addresses Cale Gundy’s Resignation, Brothers ‘Haven’t Talked’ about Cale Joining OSU's Staff

I may be wrong but I think uo did a good job of snuffing the news. I have not heard anything about player’s response to the incident that happened in the meeting. I’m sure Brent took a few days and visited with players and they left him really no choice.

1 Like

“Have huge say so’s” The donors are influential. They do not, have not, will not be involved in anything such as hiring or firing a position coach. Will they have opinions and have those opinions heard as it pertains to who the next head coach will be in football? Absolutely. Is any donor or faction of donors making that decision? Absolutely not. You dont have the success that OU has had nor do you have a guy that is as reputable as Joe Castiglione running your Athletic Dept if you are allowing donors and boosters to operate that way. That is not how that ship is sailed.

“Permission”. Everything in my company has to go through a legal dept. Even Resignations have to be done in a certain way and on a timeline. OU football is big business. The allegation and usage of that word can be major news, especially at a program as visable as OU. It happened during a meeting on Thu and he was gone on Sun. Thats 72 hours from start to conclusion. Thats relatively quick. There were no donor meetings or boosters making that decision. That was the Head Coaches call, with the i’s dotted and t’s crossed by the powers that be after the decision was made.

Thank you sir for having a good, solid take on this deal. I think the situation was handled as good as it possibly couldve been. By Cale. By Brent. By the players. It couldve gotten much messier than it did.

Just my opinion but I do believe that you understate the influence/clout that the ‘big dog’ donor/alum have over a college football program. I’m sure there are varying degrees of influence across various schools, UT and TAMU are nightmares as I understand it, and I have no idea what it is like at OU or even OSU for that matter. However the prospect for donor/alum pressure/influence to exist regarding coaches, players and other matters is high at any big time football program, including OU.

1 Like

Input? Absolutely. Influence? To a degree. I think OU solicites opinions & discussion in order to make guys feel powerful and to keep the money flowing. But any of those guys having enough power to make a coaching hiring/firing? No. You don’t have the success that OU has had by running your operations that way. I think donors become more vocal and opinionated when things are going poorly, but that’s not been the case in Norman since 1998. Of course some years were more successful than others, but there hasn’t been anything remotely close to resembling an uproar over a coaching change. Mike Stoops was polarizing at one point, but he was let go midseason when Riley felt he’d lost the locker room down in the Cotton Bowl. He resigned the next day, That wasn’t done or influenced by a donor and neither was this one. Again it happened on Thu and he was gone Sun…….you don’t get the donors together in 48hrs. You mentioned Texas……they’ve absolutely had donor influence because there’s been so much underachieving that they’re unhappy and start throwing money around. OU hasn’t had to face that issue and until they do……Joe C will be running the show.

I respect the convo though.

@teatown @yo1 @david9 @bruce4

Thought this was a really good article. I also think it shows the fabric that Cale has had in my opinion, has erased the doubt of what really happened in that room.

I wasn’t talking noise. Just thought it was a cool deal. Pretty refreshing to see a guy handle this thing with class.

I saw this earlier, I’ve never said what he did was acceptable nor should he not have been held accountable. From the stories that came out I thought and still believe there is much more to the story. The word needs to go away all together. And if it’s so offensive to them then don’t say the word in songs that are sold to every race outside of theirs. That being said cale knew he messed up and if he really did resign on his own then good for him, but at some point universities need to quit worrying about the business side sometimes and start teaching kids of all colors why this word is unacceptable for anyone this day and age.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I’ve had my say on the subject. Right or wrong I hope nothing but the best for Cale going forward.

1 Like

I think Cale said it multiple times and in the end was fired. Did Franklin reach out to Cale on his own accord? I don’t know. However, it was a good opportunity for Cale to demonstrate repentance.

1 Like

@david9
I think Cale said it multiple times"…What is “it” that youre referring to?

“Did Franklin reach out to Cale on his own”? Are you thinking someone pressured or pushed Franklin to reach out to Cale?

“Believe there is much more to the story”

What do you think more happened? Just give me your best guess at what you think happened that has not been documented?

I’m not sure, but a coach repeating words a player wrote during a closed team meeting, doesn’t seem to be grounds to make a public statement and just resign. The fact that cales daughter felt the need to make a post (which she deleted) also led me to believe there might be more to it. But who knows .

1 Like

I enjoy the convo, so dont take any of this as more than that

Take whether you think a guy should be fired or resign or let go for what happened out of it. Take your feelings on how much weight the word should or shouldnt carry. Its what Brent felt like had to be done. OSU under Mike Gundy is successful because of a culture hes created. Hes stuck to it. Its the DNA of his program. HIS PROGRAM. Thats the same thing that Brent is trying to create. A line in the sand of accountability. Pride. Ownership. Recruiting is the absolute lifeblood of a football program. Its a dirty business. Negative recruiting is all over the place. Its just like politics. If a politician did the same thing, hed lose an election. Im not here to tell you whether that SHOULD be the case or not…but it IS THE CASE. Brent felt like, for whatever reason, that it was a mistake…but a grave one. One that could have a long lasting impact on the culture hes trying to create. So Cale understood his stance and realized that resigning and handling it with class was the best option going forward. I dont think there is anything else to it than that. I understand the deleted daughters tweet. I think she was wrong and misunderstood the message that was delivered to the team of “dont talk about anything but football”. That happens ALL THE TIME. Mike Gundy does it too. Locker rooms are constantly advised to go the Belichick route of “were on to Cincinnati”. I think she tweeted it out and once Cale cuaght wind of it told her to take it down. I choose to believe what Brent and Cale have said since it happened as opposed to just insisting on believing otherwise. Cale has no reason to hide anything

I don’t disagree and I get your point, I just hate that it happened to a person that (as far as I know) has had this one slip up in 20 plus years and he’s gone. But that’s the ways of the world

1 Like

Agreed.

No pressure but I think it is highly unlikely that Franklin did this on his own. “It” refers to racial slur.

@david9
“Highly unlikely that Franklin did this on his own”…explain this more if you dont mind

This last year of Oklahoma football is liable to be a 30 for 30 doc one of these years lol

1 Like

I just think most HS coaches are preparing for school, conditioning, practice, first game coming soon and staff meetings. If Franklin did contact Cale on his own, he should be receiving many more accolades than he has received. Maybe he did it on his own. I just doubt it came down that way.