Official Cade Cunningham thread

Bryce is going to OU. Pretty clear.

Clearly Boynton isnā€™t trying hard enough.

Kidding, kiddingā€¦

2 Likes

Somebody please tell why these people say OU has a chance but OSU doesnā€™t.

2 Likes

I have heard OU was out on Bryce and he was still leaning towards KU, this was from SoonerScoop. They were talking like they havenā€™t heard good things after this last visit. :man_shrugging:t2: As far as Cade goes, I donā€™t think anyone really knows at this point.

1 Like

I still think a Cade commitment gets us Bryce. They CAN play together, contrary to what some idiots have said. They are not the same type of player.

Do they both need to start? Yes. And they can both have a huge impact if they do.

Now, that being saidā€¦I would prefer we donā€™t get both. We need more size, and Iā€™d rather we get:

JT Thor
Jaylin Williams
Rondel Walker
Cade Cunningham
And then I assume weā€™d have to get Mike Miles, which is fine.

I know Jaylin Williams has been teetering away from OSU because of Davonte Davis, but we still have a shot at him if we pull in those other guys. Looking at the potential 2021 class and beyond, we arenā€™t recruiting too many big guys. That needs to change. We canā€™t get into a bad Travis Ford habit.

1 Like

I think the thing that hosed us this year on big men is all of the 4 stars+ are allegedly contingent on someone else (that isnā€™t Mike Boynton) being at OSU

JT Thor: Cade or Bryce
Jaylin Williams or Chris Moore: Davonte Davis
Isaiah Todd: David Kontaxis

To your point, that is a dangerous precedent and can be hardcore feast or famine. I think weā€™d be fine missing on a 4 star big man in 2020, but then hitting on one (if not two or more) in 2021 is VITAL.

1 Like

Iā€™d just like to say Mike Miles is better than a lot of people seem to think. He doesnā€™t have the size of Davis but dude is a baller, has all the moves reminds me slight of Juwan with some of his midrange/floaters he uses.

1 Like

Also donā€™t think that Williams is as tied to Davis as many think. I mean yeah they played on the same AAU team but i think the worry is Arkansas going full on instate talent and probably recruiting Williams a lot harder than we currently are.

1 Like

I did some more digging into this, and our level of confidence over big man recruiting should correlate pretty closely to how much we trust HCMB as a consistent talent developer/evaluator.

To prove my point, Iā€™m comparing recruiting rankings among the 2018 class and the less flashy 2020/2021 offers

2018: Yor Anei - Ranked 267
2020 Comp: Cameron Stitt - Ranked 227
2021 Comp: Jordan Shorter - Ranked 203

2018: Duncan Demuth - Ranked 330
2020 Comp: Montreal Pena - Ranked 274
2021 Comp: Terran Williams - Ranked 229

2018: Mo Calloo - Ranked 340
2020 Comp: Ronnie Degray - Ranked 342
2021 Comp: Matt Stone - Unranked

While I know Mo and Duncan are gone, Mo seemed like he was going to develop into a solid contributor (if he wasnā€™t a knucklehead). So if we trust HCMB to get 1 diamond in the rough (Yor) and 1 solid 4 year 6th man (Moā€™s potential) whenever we miss on the big names, then weā€™ll be fine.

2 Likes

But when can we say weā€™re at ā€œTalent is already thereā€ and not ā€œTalent has to be developedā€ā€¦?

I feel ya, but I think recruiting big men will only get harderā€¦ 6ā€™8ā€+ players who can shoot are all but guaranteed to be 5 stars or 4 stars

Then once the age restriction is lifted from the draft, half of them are going to go straight to the NBA (or NBL). Half the pool, same amount of competition.

1 Like

True, but conversely, if the ā€œpay players for their likenessā€ law becomes a nationwide thing, that could entice players to stay in collegeā€¦

Wishful thinking, I know, but you never know.

1 Like

Cade and Rondel just did an Instagram Live together. It obviously means nothing, but it is nice to know the two are definitely friends. Rondel commits Thursday.

9 Likes

Is there a time set for Rondelā€™s commitment?

Itā€™s after a PC West scrimmage, I believe the planned time is 5:30 p.m.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t followed Bryce as much as Cade. Is Rondel chummy with Bryce?

Iā€™d say heā€™s definitely closer to Cade, but Bryce quote tweeted Rondelā€™s Top 5, and Rondel responded with this:

2 Likes

He is but it wonā€™t impact his decision.

2 Likes

Since this just became realityā€¦ I think whether this helps or hurts us depends on what is more profitable - being a name in the crowd at a blue blood (Maybe like SGA at Kentucky) or being the man somewhere else (Ben Simmons at LSU).

This is actually a really great point. I would think that the blue bloods will benefit from this just due to consumer fan base. These are the sane reasons that OU will always have media preference. More readers/subscribers. Hopefully recruiting doesnā€™t head down a similar path and have decreasing parity. All the more reason for schools like okstate to start investing in larger media production budgets.