OSU Commit Jelani McDonald Reopens Recruitment after Visit to Texas

I remember T Boone saying if there were scandals and cheating going on he would never donate another dime too

1 Like

Since he died, have we gotten another dime?

For us, they did. At the time. But not nationally. And for OSU, football has been the major moneymaker since who knows when? Hindsight is 20/20, but Iba should’ve taken the money. He put us behind the 8-ball for decades with one decision to “do things right.” People don’t want to admit it, but it’s true.

I have no idea if any of Boones remaining money when here or if we still have some in a 401k , I do remember they lost a chit load when the market fell
Iba had strong standards, it figured he would turn the bags of money down I’m not sure I would want to be like a goon fan anyway

1 Like

And I understand that entirely. The issue is that all of the things that we stood for in the name of “The Cowboy way” and “doing it right”, are falling by the wayside with the NCAA’s idiocy and the advent of NIL. Only time will tell if we are on the right side of history.

2 Likes

I think it all depends on who follows Gundy. We can’t hire and fire every four years like ATM and Texas , we sure don’t need to be a stepping stone, which we shouldn’t with the salary Gundy is getting. We have shown we will p a y for a solid winning coach

Just saw a 4 star RB that Woz has been after and been committed to Michigan St has decommited !!
Does this mean anything guys in the know ?

2 Likes

The whole ranking thing is HIGHLY political. A 3-star can turn into a 4 or even a 5 if a blue blood starts recruiting said kid or commits to them. UT’s been having MUCH better recruiting classes than oSu since Adam and Eve and look at their situation the last 10~15 seasons. I tend to think a lot of 4s and 5s get complacent once they land at a program and don’t work hard to get better, they think they’re already NFL talent.

1 Like

RE Glass, I don’t think that’s his thing at all, he turns boys into men who put on a lot of muscle and get bigger, stronger, faster. Not his job to make them respect anything, but most seem to love him and his staff.

From what I hear he’s demanding and tough on them. Well worth his salary. I’m glad Gundy made him the highest paid S&C coach in. America
Glass bulks these kids up , lots of muscle, look at Rodrigo !! But I think they need more stretching than they do. Maybe I’m wrong just my idea

2 Likes

Well, the young man decommitted after visiting us. A good sign. Opposite almost of what happened with the commit we had who visited Texas.

2 Likes

My exact thinking, :cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

Blake Jarwin was a walk-on.

2 Likes

Depends on the people they are surrounded by also. Different sport, but look at Cade. Great support system. A 5 star. Number one player in the country. Works hard. Improved in his one season. Number one pick in the draft and was never a negative headline in Stilly.

3 Likes

Maybe only my opinion but I think it’ll make a lot of kids at the blue bloods who are going to get 6 figures per annum a lot more complacent and think they’ve made it and won’t work hard at getting better every day, every week, every month, every year. Give me a hungry 3-star recruit over a lazy 4- or 5-star kid any time!

1 Like

Our kid visit texas 2 Saturdays ago during the isu game.

It was an unofficial visit and he did not or hadnt posted anything on twitter about the visit.

1 Like

Tell me how a 4 star or 5 star got to that point while being lazy?

He gave well over $600 million to OSU, split between athletics and academics. An amount (not sure how much, but I think it is substantial) went into endowments, so that corpus is still there and generating income. I remember a lot of it went into his hedge fund, which went down in value in 2008 but I’m assuming it recovered. I guess the point is that not all the dollars got spent, but rather put into vehicles to generate ongoing dollars.

3 Likes

OK, I will. 5-star Whitney Lewis, WR: USC. He was regarded as the top receiver prospect in the country and the 6’1", 215-pounder also had the skills to play running back.

He argued with his parents on signing day because he wanted to go to Florida State, but they wanted him at USC. Norm Chow looked at Lewis to become a jack-of-all-trades revolutionary player, where he would see time at receiver, running back, receiving fullback and in the slot.

Lewis didn’t want any of that and didn’t want to be at USC. He became overweight and lacked a work ethic. Eventually he transferred to Northern Iowa and flamed out. Source: College Football Recruiting: The 20 Worst 5-Star Recruiting Busts of the 2000's | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

3 Likes

I agree. The stories are easy to find. A 5-star physical freak playing against normal high school kids can excel on the field without working hard. A 5-star physical freak who turns out also to have a character problem, may or may not be willing to dramatically step up the work demands required at the D1 level.

3 Likes

Take the Ferrari kids , great talent but his upbringing must be his problem. His younger brother is bad asx but from what I hear he’s as big a cancer as AJ…. Physically they are both supreme, mentally broken

2 Likes